Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • How many chances do you give a LA before saying no more? >
  • How many chances do you give a LA before saying no more?

• How many chances do you give a LA before saying no more?

Old 02-11-2013, 09:20 PM

Feline Fanatic,

The key to excellence in whatever you do, however you do it, is to care about the end result.

The LAQ spoken of in the original post doesn't understand that she has to CARE about the customer perception of the end result. She doesn't get it, and may never get it. But that has nothing to do with using a computerized system.

Bottom line is that if someone trusts you to LAQ a quilt they made, you must ALWAYS discuss any kind of change that is needed before making the change. That has nothing to do with the LAQs skills at quilting or the use of a robotic quilting system. It's simply good manners. And, if you're in the business of quilting for $$$, it's also good business.

In case you're wondering, yes, I use a robotic quilting system exclusively, and, no, I have never machine quilted without it. No, I do not quilt for $$$, but I do quilts for others and have had to ask a few folks if I could change something, but always with good reason. I would never presume to make a change without the quilt makers permission. Again, that is simply good manners.
    Old 02-11-2013, 09:28 PM

Sure is. I've done it on several quilts. Works fine, looks good. But test it on a quilting sandwich first.

Found out from experience that what I imagined would look great, didn't, and picked a row of quilting out when I because my imagination failed me! Lesson learned!
    Old 02-11-2013, 09:29 PM

Exactly once. Somebody screws up one of my quilts, they're done.
    Old 02-11-2013, 09:47 PM

Excellence is achieved through caring about the end result, and your customers perception of the end result, no matter what you do or how you do it.

The LAQ in the original post does not understand that. Unfortunately, she may never understand that. But her lack of courtesy and business acumen has nothing to do with how she quilts or the path she followed to learn LAQ.

The first two (which were also the last two) quilts I had professionally long armed were done by a young woman who has published several books on quilting and long arming.

The results were less than stellar, but the cost was out of this world. That is why I bought my computer guided system and trained myself to quilt on it. My quilts now (not at first!) turn out much better than the ones she did for me. I often wish I could get them back and do them over.
    Old 02-11-2013, 09:53 PM

I did not read all the replies. My reply is: contact Charismah and get on her list to LA your quilt. All that I have seen posted on the board (posts and pictures of her work) have been awesome! She is a member of the board and I am sure you can find her under the Member List.

Good Luck!
    Old 02-11-2013, 10:31 PM

I agree with most of your replies - why did you go back even a second time?
    Old 02-12-2013, 02:03 AM

There is an old saying, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. You have given her enough chances and the quilter has no right to change what you want done to your quilt
    Old 02-12-2013, 03:29 AM

Well, after reading all the preceding posts, I must put my 2 cents in also. I agree with the comment that this LAer has no business sense. If she is unwilling to do what the customer asks for, then she needs to refuse the job. I also agree that she seems to not be interested in learning her craft. She's only learned one thing & doesn't seem to do that really well. I am one of the LAer's listed here on the board for hire. Doesn't matter what I want...it's what you want! Suggestions are gladly given, but you don't have to take them. To answer someones question, yes, you can use different thread top & bottom, I do it all the time. Any LAer who hires out their services had best listen to their customers or they won't be in business very long. I'm truly sorry that you have had this experience. Please take the advice of others & seek out a different LAer.
    Old 02-12-2013, 04:23 AM

I totally agree that the LAer did not provide good customer service and at this point certainly I would choose someone else! However, when I first started sending quilts out I had no idea how to choose thread, batting, patterns, etc. I purchased a book by Barbara Persing called Listen to Your Quilt. It gave me insight on how to be specific with choosing what I wanted for my quilts and how to communicate to my LAer. The book would be helpful to any quilter whether choosing a LAer or a do-it-yourself. The book is an easy read and not hard to understand. It also made me appreciate what it would be like to be a LAer or quilter for someone else. In this case, I recommend moving on but I also recommend this book to a LAer or customer! Best of luck with your new LAer! I know there are plenty of them out there!
    Old 02-12-2013, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Ripped on Scotch
    That is not acceptable at all. If your customer wants cotton batting, you use it. I have a LA there really is not alot that you have to change to change the loft of the batting or thread for your tension. it's maybe a 5min process. Did she atleast return your batting to you and your thread? I'd be finding a new person for sure. It almost sounds like she is rushing your quilt to go onto the next. Most quilters go by word of mouth when picking a LA quilter and this would not make her get any additional business.

I did 2 for a friend at christmas and she sent the thread that she wanted me to use so I used it but there wasn't enough so I did as close as I could to the spool that she provided. I wouldn't think of using something that wasn't close to what she wanted or calling to confirm the change before I started.
    Ripped is exactly right. I am a longarmer, and this is NOT acceptable on any level. Unless there is a compelling reason---one that will ruin the looks of the quilt---a good longarmer will abide by the customer's instructions. Find another longarmer.