Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What are your favorite color combinations for quilting? >
  • What are your favorite color combinations for quilting?

• What are your favorite color combinations for quilting?

Old 04-30-2013, 10:52 AM

I love yellows. They look great with blues, purples, greens, white, orange, brown and greys. Actually my daughter had me make a yellow and turquoise quilt for college. It was lovely.
    Old 04-30-2013, 11:58 AM

I'm a fan of the modern quilts, bright popping bold combinations. I also love the rainbow color wheel quilts. In my downtime I google colorwheel quilts and scroll images for hours. It's a serious addiction.
    Old 04-30-2013, 04:53 PM

Always loved purple and pinks. Agree with not warming up to the civil war reproductions.

Marcia
    Old 04-30-2013, 05:02 PM

I can't say I have a 'favorite' color combination. Many times a color will catch my eye and I find coordinating colors to go with. For instance, I will be making at-shirt quilt for a nephew and I asked my sister (his mom) about colors. She said Marine blue and red. Went to my LQS after work to look around and found Kona solids in what I thought would work, but solid is boring. I asked my sister if the color had to be solid or if I could go tone-on-tone. I was tickled when she said tone-on-tone..."Quilts need texture!" I'll go back in a day or two and look some more, because I saw some beautiful possibilities!
    Old 04-30-2013, 06:10 PM

Gray, dull yellows, salmon, peach, what I refer to as the funky colors...Not so much
    i love blues and bright yellows together, think the summer breeze collection.
    The muted browns, greens, reds---earthy tones.
    I just made a baby quilt used a dark robin egg blue or "Peacock" as it is officially called for the binding that I ended up really liking.
    Old 04-30-2013, 06:58 PM

My favorite colors are the deep vivid tones. Especially the blues, greens, teals, purples and burgandys. I also like red, black and white. And black, brown, taupe and cream. In general pastels are only for backgrounds or as accents to keep things from being too much medium and dark.
    Old 04-30-2013, 07:51 PM

Rhonda, my favorite colors are PINK, pink roses, pink flowers, pink batiks, pink Fairy Frost, did I say PINK? It has always been my favorite color. I've really tried hard in the past year to veer out to use other colors. I also like red/black/white combos..I've made quilts recently using a caramel and cream tot; a black & yellow one; and a black,brown & tan tot Labyrinth quilt, among others. I have a batik one in the making at the moment. I also like purples/lilac/lavender. I don't use orange, except muted in Fall items, and I do not like green, only as a small accent, or civil war prints. PINK is such a happy color..
    Old 04-30-2013, 07:58 PM

I love all colours and try anything. What has made me look at colours is that I have done several mystery quilts where you choose your colours without knowing what the quilt will look like finished. I do like autumn colours and hues my eye is always drawn to them.
    Old 04-30-2013, 09:33 PM

It just depends on what day it is! Right now I'm working on a quilt using fuschia, brown and lime green and really love the way it's turning out. Tomorrow it might be black and white. I have too many ideas swirling around to have just one favorite color combo.
    Old 04-30-2013, 10:21 PM
    Power Poster

What a response!! Almost 70 answers!! Thanks everyone for posting! I love seeing what everyone else thinks!