Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Missus wants to buy a Serger/overlock >

Missus wants to buy a Serger/overlock

Missus wants to buy a Serger/overlock

Old 02-23-2014, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
The reason the timing is different between the 3 and 4 thread serger is because the loopers will have to throw the thread farther to accommodate the 2nd needle which is on the left side. Good luck with your project. Personally, I wouldn't bother to convert it and risk messing it up to the ire of your wife. Like I said, good luck.
I assumed the 3 thread machines used the left needle not the right Yes, then in that case it does make sense.

I tried out and bought a much much newer serger last night (I couldn't resist, the deal was almost as good at GW's deal) and when set up to do 3 thread stitching, it uses the left needle, not the right, or that's what it looked like when I tested it, because the test sew from its service showed perfect stitching with the 3 threads and when I tested it (4th thread (left needle) had come unthreaded and I didn't bother to thread it, the looper stitches looped farther to the left than the right needle. Of course, this is not reading the manual, and not changing any settings. I was just trying to listen to the machine and make sure it was not a dudder. I knew everything else I could work out.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:20 AM

A factory 3 thread is timed for 1 centered needle. When you add another needle to the mix the loopers will have to throw farther left and shorter to the right in order to make a nice stitch when using either 3 or 4 threads. I know - clear as mud.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:15 AM

So, the 14u32 is home. The missus had a business trip and brought it back in her luggage.

First look:

It's missing the upper knife blade. No biggie, I expected to have to replace them anyways.

The upper looper tip is broken off. Couple bucks on ebay gets one on it's way.

It's dirty, dirty, dirty! Huge fuzz bunnies in the machine, actual dirt on the exterior. A thorough cleaning, lubrication and adjustment will need to be done.

Its turned so yellow it's darned near orange. It must have been in a sunny location. I'll try a little whitening and if it doesn't go to my satisfaction, I'll just paint it. Really don't like it looking like a pumpkin.

Quick look a the needle clamp reveals the needle is offset to the right, not centered. However, there is no provision for a left needle. The offset bodes well for fitting the 14u64 needle clamp assy to the 14u32 and timing it for a 4 thread machine.

Last edited by great white; 02-24-2014 at 04:20 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:47 AM

Ah, looking at it further revealed that the needle was hitting the needle guard and the lower looper was rubbing the needle tip and scarf.

Then, I noticed the needle clamp itself was loose on the shaft and "rocking" around.

Guess that explains the broken tip on the upper looper.

This thing is going to need a thorough "stem to stern" working over.

Perfect. Just the way I like it!

I love working on and fixing anything mechanical.

I love it more than actually using them.

Last edited by great white; 02-24-2014 at 05:51 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom View Post
A factory 3 thread is timed for 1 centered needle. When you add another needle to the mix the loopers will have to throw farther left and shorter to the right in order to make a nice stitch when using either 3 or 4 threads. I know - clear as mud.
Clearer than a crystal clear mountain lake. I'd never thought about it before, all of the machines I've serviced have been 4 thread. The serger user manual I read last night (I know, I'm a geek!) showed me that you could use either, depending on if you wanted narrow or wide hems. I also know now how to cover stitch, roll hem and use differential feed to make or prevent lettuce. Previously, I finished edges.

Originally Posted by great white View Post
The upper looper tip is broken off. Couple bucks on ebay gets one on it's way.

It's dirty, dirty, dirty! Huge fuzz bunnies in the machine, actual dirt on the exterior. A thorough cleaning, lubrication and adjustment will need to be done.

<snip>

Quick look a the needle clamp reveals the needle is offset to the right, not centered. However, there is no provision for a left needle. The offset bodes well for fitting the 14u64 needle clamp assy to the 14u32 and timing it for a 4 thread machine.

This is where you do very well having an older machine that was quite common. Parts will be plentiful, and I think that that looper was even still available on some of the parts sites. I was up there last night trying to identify plates I have for the machine and saw a looper or two go by as I scrolled.

There's a good chance too that the looper was misadjusted prior to that calamity that decapitated it. I had my first serger that I serviced making a "clicking" noise. Upon closer look, it had both of the loopers rubbing together.

Have you taken the plastic off it yet?

The bunnies are unreal even under the plastic on some machines. Mine was never that dirty, but a relatively clean looking Kenmore I worked on looked like this under the plastic:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]464237[/ATTACH]

I almost fell out of my chair.

I would just take all the plastic off, you need to to properly service it anyway, and soak the plastic, and easily removed metal pieces like the needle clamp, in your favorite cleaning potion (I use dawn, OxyClean (or peroxide) and water in a tub) for a bit. I do no scrubbing these days. It will have lots of time to dry when you rinse it off and let it air dry while you service the machine. I usually take an air compressor to the metal pieces to make sure they're dry before reinstallation if the same day.

So then does the manual or the plate say that the widest you can have a hem is 3.5mm?
This is where the flaw in my thinking was. I thought people would want the wider hem and that it would be what the machine would stitch at if it was a 3 thread only.

Are the plates the same? I think so, but..

Which one(s) did you get with the machine? If the upper blade is missing, it might be the rolled hem plate and foot...

Originally Posted by great white View Post
I love working on and fixing anything mechanical.
I love it more than actually using them.
I was the same for the first 3 years. The novelty has worn off some for me, and I try to spend more time quilting and riding (or will in about 2 months.) For once, I have no backlog of machines to service and I don't reek of SM oil -all- the time.
Attached Thumbnails img_0868.jpg  
Old 02-24-2014, 03:02 PM

More carnage abounds!

I found an odd shaped piece of metal in the bottom of the case. First thoughts wee it was the looper tip since it was the same kind of polished metal.

But nope. Wrong shape. Then I pulled the needle plate off. Yeah, there it is.

The needle must have punched a section of the needle plate out when it was rattling around. Piece fits right up to the broken part.

I've also discovered that the 14u32 and the 64 use different presser feet, needle plate and feed dogs. I found this when I fitted the 14u64 needle clamp to the 14U32 needle bar. The needles are centered on the shaft, they just don't clear the foot. The needle plate is also is a different design in the area where the needles pass through.

So, I'm off to buy a foot, feed dog and a needle plate. Not a real big deal, I'd have to buy a needle plate anyways since a previous owner had already broken the one in there.

Turning into a bit of an ordeal, but I'm still havin' fun working through the problems and fixing the machine.

It's pretty much a challenge to get it right now!

Old 02-24-2014, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
I was the same for the first 3 years. The novelty has worn off some for me, and I try to spend more time quilting and riding (or will in about 2 months.) For once, I have no backlog of machines to service and I don't reek of SM oil -all- the time.
I'm a certified auto technician, Aircraft Maintenance Engineer and a Flight Engineer (amongst a bunch of other things).

Designing, building and fixing machines are a way of life for me.

I never tire of it.

It's my "thing".

Old 02-24-2014, 03:13 PM

My one and only suggestion is that you ask your wife whether she wants n 'oldie-but-goodie' or one of the 'new-fangled' machines since it sounds like your wife is the one who wants it.

If you've already done that, than listen to what the others on the forum are saying.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
My one and only suggestion is that you ask your wife whether she wants n 'oldie-but-goodie' or one of the 'new-fangled' machines since it sounds like your wife is the one who wants it.

If you've already done that, than listen to what the others on the forum are saying.
Yup, she's good with it.

Shes happy to use something that I can work on as my own hobby too. She gets just as much pleasure watching me happily tinker away on something as her using it.

She knows once I'm done with something, it's as good as new if not better. If I can't buy a part, I can build it.

Besides, she's not a serious sewer. She just wants to bind and edge here or there on blankets or dog cold weaher covers. I'm the one that can't leave well enoguh alone on the machine. Truth be known, I usually end up doing or finishing her sewing projects for her. She's not a "girly girl", she's more tom boy and results oriented. She sews when she has to but would equally prefer to have me do it for her.

Not to sound condescending, but it's just a sewing machine. It's not hard to fathom how it works or how to fix/adjust it. I quite literally am the "rocket scientist".

As I mentioned: machines are my thing.

Fixing a sewing machine is a nice relaxing change of pace from the more complex tasks I do all day long.

Just as people here find sewing relaxing and enjoyable, so do I find working on something as simple as a mechanical sewing machine.

Last edited by great white; 02-24-2014 at 03:54 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:14 PM

Hmmm, looks like the feed dog is the same for the 32 and the 64 by part numbers.

No matter, I already paid 6 bucks on eBay for a box lot of 14u64 parts that has a feed dog and a presser foot in it.

The needle plate and presser foot are different than the 32 though.

Fooled around a bit more with it while cleaning and disassembling it.

I released the set screw on the needle bar and rotated it 90 Degrees to fit the dual needle clamp since the set screw was in a different position than the 32 clamp. Lined it up and tightened it all down.

Removed the presser foot and the broken needle plate and ran it over by hand. With the needle in the left position, it all clears. You can tell the timing needs to be adjusted for the lower looper as there is a little contact with the wide part of needle point until it slides into the scarf, but that was expected after reading the service manual.

With the needle in the right clamp position, it is centered directly under the needle bar like the single needle clamp was. Everything ran just fine when turned over by hand. Not unexpected as the needle is in the 14u32 original position.

So it looks Lome I'm back on track to convert it to a 4/3/2 thread serger with the needle plate, presser foot, 4th tensioner and some adjustments.

I'm pretty much up to where I could have bought a 14u64 off eBay (not accounting for shipping).

But this is so much more fun and satisfying than just buying one already done.

Last edited by great white; 02-24-2014 at 05:20 PM.