Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I nuts to attempt this?  I Love, Love, Love  it. >

Am I nuts to attempt this? I Love, Love, Love it.

Am I nuts to attempt this? I Love, Love, Love it.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rosyhf View Post
Sval, the pattern intrigued me so I stopped working on my other 30 blocks and played with it a bit. Here are some pics. You can see that the blocks are fine until you go to join them. The first pic shows the two blocks, then I lined them up and they look good so far. Then I joined them and you can see they are off, then I ripped and joined them from the petals only and now the background is off. So this is what has to happen if you decide to do this quilt. I am just going to make more blocks and do the regular Dresden.

Ok, make one block, lay a background for the second block, next to the finished block and place your petals on that background, to match the first block and then sew the petal on. Now sew the two blocks together but Make sure that you run a pin from the 1/4 inch dot of one block to the other dot in the other block.

I marked the 1/4 inch seams on the blocks. I would do one block at a time and keep lining the petals up before sewing them on and so on. Her pdf is not showing up and I bet hers are not matching up too well either.
How annoying!

I also expect patterns to be accurate. (But I have since learned that this is not always the case! Another good reason to do at least one test block - preferably two if the patterns/design needs to "connect" to another block - to see if the instructions are "good"!)

Last edited by bearisgray; 04-24-2015 at 07:59 AM.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:38 AM

Sval, I don't think hers match up either. I can't seem to get a clear pic of hers. The one where you could see if they match, she has it covered with two templates lol.

Anyway to upload pics. Download them to you documents from your camera and save them. When you post to the board, click on advance and then scroll down to, manage attachments and follow the directions. If the file doesn't upload, that means it's too big. In that case open the pic in Paint and reduce it, save it and try again.

I have some more petals made and I will try again but I know they won't match because you are doing opposite sides of the petal, there is going to be some overage. I'm just doing it to see and make sure then I will put those in a box and make the Dresden plates with them.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:44 AM

Rosy: thanks I'll give the pictures a try. And thanks for your efforts in solving the Dresden Fan mystery. From now on I'm going to stick to published patterns from magazines and books. Hopefully they will be tried and accurate before putting them out there for people to use.
I've seen a couple two color quilts I like with simpler patterns that look complex. Like the Disappearing Hourglass. I watche the video on MSQC. I like the end result. But man Jenny sure is a brute with her fabrics. And doesn't seem to take any care with any of what she's doing. I don't know how anything she sews comes together correctly. I could see things that weren't square just watching it on the computer. She didn't square anything up even though she sewed two ten inch blocks togeher that she admitted weren't exactly the same size. She said "just pick one" as your guide. I'd have been trimming to get them all the same size before starting to sew. She just seems very haphazard.

I hope your dresden plates come out ok with the petals you made. That 30's fabric is cute. I have some l/o from a kit. I was wondering what to do with it. Just some fat quarters. There are quite a few of them I wonder what I have enough to make. Certainly a wall hanging.
SVAL
Old 04-25-2015, 10:44 AM

Sval, I had fun making these two and I did them quite fast. I had a supply of Aunt Gracie and wanted to finish that line up. I have made 2 king size quilts, Delectable Mountains and some kind of Wheel pattern out of it already and out of the scraps I made two nice size scrap quilts. I have enough left to make a Dresden fan quilt but will make different styles of fans and plates. I get the blocks out of my, Block Base program. There are so many in there. I will have fun making one of each block in 12 inches. I will make it for a single bed tho. I kinda do my own, putting the blocks together.

At the moment I am working on my.....http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t262833.html
and I needed a break. I still have 30 blocks to go. and then the quilting and binding. When I get done, I will make a new thread of the dresdens.
Attached Thumbnails plate8.jpg  
Old 04-27-2015, 02:42 PM

Sval, look what I found....Thoroughly Modern Dresden: Quick & Easy Construction 13 Lively Quilt Projects for All Skill Levels at amazon and these are a couple pic. See how they can't match, that is the look.
Attached Thumbnails untitled.jpg   untitled2.jpg  
Old 04-28-2015, 05:43 AM

Don't talk yourself out of it! Yes, it could be considered "lots of work", but every other quilt could also be considered "lots of work". If this is a pattern you really want to do, then go for it. A journey of a thousand miles begins with just one step, so as one of the other posters said, just concentrate on one block at a time. You can do it. Just think of the sense of pride and accomplishment you'll have when you get it done. And don't forget to show us a picture when you're done
Old 04-30-2015, 11:10 AM

My sentiments exactly Nanac....
Old 04-30-2015, 11:36 AM

Rosy: So when things don't work out evenly just call it "Modern" and then it's ok? Ha SVAL

Thanks for the encouragement ladies. But I've moved on. I'm so over that pattern. I'm still looking for that "special quilt" to make for my bed.

But that one isn't it.

SVAL
Old 05-01-2015, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Rosyhf View Post
Sval, look what I found....Thoroughly Modern Dresden: Quick & Easy Construction 13 Lively Quilt Projects for All Skill Levels at amazon and these are a couple pic. See how they can't match, that is the look.
Oh my gosh. I sure do love that quilt. This morning I printed two block patterns from my EQ5 and cut the paper away. They don't line up just as the pattern. So what hope is there of doing it with all the discrepancies of cutting, starching, ironing, etc.
Somebody needs to come up with a way to make it work.
My husband sure is trying in what little spare time he has. He says you have to cut the background squares bigger and match the blades each time. then cut the backgrounds to match. But then what happens when you add to another side? It starts to make my brain hurt.
I wonder if the issue is addressed in the book. Doesn't look like it from the picture.
SVAL
Old 05-01-2015, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by sval View Post
Oh my gosh. I sure do love that quilt. This morning I printed two block patterns from my EQ5 and cut the paper away. They don't line up just as the pattern. So what hope is there of doing it with all the discrepancies of cutting, starching, ironing, etc.
Somebody needs to come up with a way to make it work.
My husband sure is trying in what little spare time he has. He says you have to cut the background squares bigger and match the blades each time. then cut the backgrounds to match. But then what happens when you add to another side? It starts to make my brain hurt.
I wonder if the issue is addressed in the book. Doesn't look like it from the picture.
SVAL
Just a thought....If you keep having the same problem with each pattern, please recheck the width of your seam, before ironing flat. Also, I saw a quilt a friend had made where she could not get the blades to fit the background fabric, so she just made narrow strips a little longer than the blades, hemmed both ends, and sewed them to the blade edges, and then sewed the whole thing down to the background. That way she could trim as needed on the sides of the background to make it fit, and now her fans have a frame on each side like folding fans. Looks wonderful, and no one can tell it was "a design decision"! Lol! (She used black 'frames' but you could make them complementary to your colors. She also made her centers black to match.)