Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This hurt my feelings >

This hurt my feelings

This hurt my feelings

Old 03-11-2010, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Honey
We have told our kids not to buy for us for Christmas, to use it for thier kids. But every year, my daughter makes us something. She scrapbooks and has made frames with all the grands, calendars with pictures on each month and everyone's bday. She has her boys help her, so they are part of the gift, too. She says they are just little things, but to us, they are treasures. One son made us tapes of all of his radio shows (he is a talk show host for his campus station). Another son gets hams and turkeys for gifts from work and he gives them to us for holiday meals. The youngest son comes often to help with heavy stuff, so his Dad won't have to lift them. Some people get it and some don't.
Those are precious gifts that no one can duplicate. What very thoughtful children you have.

Every year I make photo albums or scrap books for my parents, grandmothers, and close family members who aren't able to participate in our day to day lives. Started when my girls were little, and now includes the grands. Serves 2 purposes, they get to see what goes on in everyone's lives and my photos are preserved in 6 locations, just in case. My grandmother (93) looks forward to seeing all the places we go and things the kids (and grands) do.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:38 AM

hi pam1966... that happened to me many years ago (BQ before quilting) I used to crochet. I made a beautiful afghan out of very expensive French yarn and won a blue ribbon at two county fairs. I made my aunt and uncle a duplicate out of the same expensive yarn but with lots of love in each stitch. I gave it to them for Christmas and they seemed to love it. When we went back for a visit a couple months later, I saw the afghan in the bottom of a closet covered by boxes and 'junk'! It broke my heart. I never made them another and didn't say anything about what I saw. However, I try to tell myself, once I give it away, it belongs to the recipient. But it's still hard and I will never forget the sight. So, be happy that you have a God-given talent and the satisfaction of a job well done. Keep up the good work and don't let this incident get you down. The quilt you are making is for your MIL and I'm sure she will love it! Happy quilting!
Old 03-11-2010, 05:58 AM

Bring me Bed, Bath and Beyond and it goes in the garbage...Bring me a quilt and it stays close to my heart.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:00 AM

Yes, it hurts when others hurt us with their tongue. I've never understood how people can do that to another human being. I hope your hurt goes away quickly.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:06 AM

A quilt that is made with love is one of the greatest gifts a person can recieve. It's priceless. Your SIL is obviously not aware of the costs, nor the LOVE put into it.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:13 AM

Don't waste precious time dwelling on this incident. Just consider where the comment came from and go on making those wonderful quilts!
Hugs, Ruth
Old 03-11-2010, 06:15 AM

I made my DIL's sister a graduation quilt...I didn't know what her tastes were but made it out of Batiks...it was gorgeous and I made a pillow case to match. Sent it to her and that was the end...never heard if she got it or liked it or not...was going to ask my DIL and then thought NO, I let it drop. Tried real hard not to dwell on it but it does hurt, doesn't it????
Old 03-11-2010, 06:45 AM

When teaching a new nursing aide (nurse) in the nursing home setting, most often they get it (the finer points of helping the patients). Some take awhile and few have to be re-educated.

Take this sil to a quality quilt shop and have a list of things she needs to buy for an imaginary quilt. Have her write down the prices of each item. Already have price of labor figured in and let her do the math. If she does not get it, she never will.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:50 AM

Next time she visits when you are quilting. Tell her that you are keeping an art alive. An art that dates back centuries. Some new quilts these days sell on average $1500 to $3000 or more. That ought to blow her socks off since she only equates your artwork to saving money.
D in TX
Old 03-11-2010, 06:50 AM

I would be hurt too. Remember people that makes comments like this are usually jealous. She doesn't know how and doesn't want to take the time to learn. Next time just say "Not really because of all the fabric but if you think it will save you money I can tell you where to go to learn how" and see what she says then. I don't think you will have to worry after that.