Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • guys in quilt shops >
  • guys in quilt shops

• guys in quilt shops

Old 07-10-2010, 07:39 AM

I'm teaching my grandsons to sew. They like making fabric bowls and pillows. Both love the quilts I make them and I'm working on another one for the youngest and one for the granddaughter. I have to make a baby quilt for the last 3 grandbabies. I better get going. Two are already here. lol
    Old 07-10-2010, 08:02 AM

Both shops that I frequent are very good to their "guy" customers! Magazines, coffee, chat; made to feel right at home! But on a slightly different note: When I worked in LQS#1, a very tall beautiful woman in heels, red dress, make-up to the max, came in. All of us were in shock! It was really a guy in drag. We weren't prepared for that one. S/he looked around a bit and left. I wonder what we could have done differently at the time. I no longer work~retired~and I wonder if s/he ever came back, or if s/he was a quilter, or was just trying out a new outfit. :oops: :?:
    Old 07-10-2010, 08:30 AM

I have had real luck in the New Orleans' area. After an initial shock of a guy walking in, the shops here have been very welcoming once I say I'm a quilter. 1 story. A female friend and I stopped in at a LQS I hadn't been to before. I picked up a bolt of cream on cream I needed and then wandered about. Another couple saw us and the woman tapped her husband with the 2 bolts she was carrying and said "see, that man is carrying his wife's material" my friend and I both laughed, explained we were friends and she can't sew on a button. The other couple laughed and she apologized for "profiling me".
    Old 07-10-2010, 08:30 AM
    Power Poster

Great question. I enjoy seeing men in quilt store and even more so when 2 men are together because they discuss their plans openly and with excitement.
    Old 07-10-2010, 08:50 AM

Times have changed. If moms and dads don't teach their children (both sexes) to sew a little, cook, do laundry, change a tire, household repairs, operate outdoor tools, etc., they are do their children a great disservice. In marriages of "the younger generation" now--and even in mine (soon to be married 47 yrs.), both partners work on paying jobs, and both are needed to handle all the "jobs" at home, too.

And regarding snooty quilt/fabric shop owners/employees: This may explain why many don't stay in business long.
    Old 07-10-2010, 09:15 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by MillieH
    Times have changed. If moms and dads don't teach their children (both sexes) to sew a little, cook, do laundry, change a tire, household repairs, operate outdoor tools, etc., they are do their children a great disservice. In marriages of "the younger generation" now--and even in mine (soon to be married 47 yrs.), both partners work on paying jobs, and both are needed to handle all the "jobs" at home, too.

And regarding snooty quilt/fabric shop owners/employees: This may explain why many don't stay in business long.
    Funny that you say that I built my first motor at 8 years old, Bought and built my first car (1951 Ford) when I was 13 (and I still own it and drive it daily) . I love to cook and I always help around the house cleaning and laundry.

But I did not learn to sew until 3 years ago when I taught myself how to quilt!!

Billy
    Old 07-10-2010, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by yellowsnow55
    Magazines that men enjoy? :oops: :oops: :oops:
    Great idea! I think I'll bring in a few to my LQS and suggest if a man comes in while wife is shopping, they offer him a drink, a mag or two and MAKE SPACE ON THE COUCH which is usually beautifully displayed with georgous FQ's in baskets and bolts of the newest fabs!
    Old 07-10-2010, 10:48 AM
    Power Poster

We are in SoCal and I see guys working in quilt shops frequently. I also see them shopping. I have 6 sons and I several of them already made their own quilt. DH has also done some quilting, though not much just some blocks for his parents. He is perfectly fine with going to quilt shops and people treat him and his $ just fine. Anna
    Old 07-10-2010, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
    Originally Posted by yellowsnow55
    Magazines that men enjoy? :oops: :oops: :oops:
    Great idea! I think I'll bring in a few to my LQS and suggest if a man comes in while wife is shopping, they offer him a drink, a mag or two and MAKE SPACE ON THE COUCH which is usually beautifully displayed with georgous FQ's in baskets and bolts of the newest fabs!
    No Playboy! But hunting and fishing, hot rod, cars; that kinda thing. Guess I shoulda said that to start with! LOL
    Old 07-10-2010, 11:41 AM

Anna is that you from KW site?

Debi

Grand Rapids, MI