Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what was the first sewing machine you ever used >

what was the first sewing machine you ever used

what was the first sewing machine you ever used

Old 10-31-2010, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by dellareya
I also learned how to sew on my mothers Featherweight machine. Somehow I broke the bobbin case. I remember how angry my mother was. She actually got rid of the machine because she told me it couldn't be fixed. I've lived with guilt for 50 years. I recently asked her about it. She said she didn't have the time to sew anyhow and wanted to "teach me a lesson about being careful". Ouch.
Hope you let go of the guilt now. That was an awful thing to do to you. You have my sympathy. I am so glad you didn't let it keep you from sewing and quilting.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:38 AM

I also learned on my mom's Singer 401, boy did I love that machine! I was so sad when she traded it in, but now I have my own!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-73268-1.htm
Old 10-31-2010, 09:52 AM

I learned to sew on my grandmother's White treadle machine. Then when I was about 23 she GAVE IT AWAY to Mrs. Retzloff who cleaned house for her. My mother and I went to Mrs. Retzloff and begged her to let us have it. Even offered her up to $300 (this in the early 70s). She refused.
Several years ago I found a machine very similar but not a White and bought it!
When my son was born in 1974 I bought an Elna SU. It is has been a great machine. I love it so much that when I found one just like it I grabbed it up so fast. It lives at my friend's house in CA so I can use it when I am there. When I go to retreats I take them both, in case I need a spare! Even loaned it to another friend at retreat when she left the power cord at home! Had the first one rebuilt when the cam shaft gave out. Guess I am just stuck in a rut! Sherrie in NM.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:39 AM

I learned on a Kenmore Craftsman, would give my eye teeth to find one in working condition for my sewing room!
Old 10-31-2010, 10:47 AM

My mother sent me to a Singer sewing class when I was ten. It cost her $1 per lesson, ten lessons. I have no memory of what model singer it was. When I was thirteen, my Dad bought me my first machine...a Chattauqua, with a shuttle bobbin. I have never run into another person who had owned or heard of this machine. In between my Singer classes and getting this machine, I hand sewed garments. Oh, how I love my Viking Fresia 415!!
Old 10-31-2010, 10:48 AM

I learned to sew on my mom's singer treadle machine.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:39 PM

I used my Mom's Morse sewing machine. It was one heavy portable machine but sewed a great seam. I wish I still had it. Then she got a Kenmore not so great machine!!!
Old 10-31-2010, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by quilting.addict
My mother sent me to a Singer sewing class when I was ten. It cost her $1 per lesson, ten lessons. I have no memory of what model singer it was. When I was thirteen, my Dad bought me my first machine...a Chattauqua, with a shuttle bobbin. I have never run into another person who had owned or heard of this machine. In between my Singer classes and getting this machine, I hand sewed garments. Oh, how I love my Viking Fresia 415!!
Oh wow my grandparents used to live on Lake Chatauqua and I didn't know there was a sewing machine from around there!
Old 10-31-2010, 04:31 PM

My grandmother's treadle sewing machine. I don't know what brand it was, but I think probably it was a Singer.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by wildyard
My grandmother's treadle sewing machine. I don't know what brand it was, but I think probably it was a Singer.
Same for me! :D