Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Have a System ? >

Do You Have a System ?

Do You Have a System ?

Old 01-03-2011, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by amorerm
Do you know how to save to a disc? You can make folders and EVEn save the http: and then when you click on it, you will return to the page with the information.

I've been saving photos, notes, tutorials, etc. but must take the time to save a disc. myself. There are just sooooo many GREAT things on here.

Love the jokes and stories tooooo that I save.
amorerm ~ Love the "sherberts" in your avatar!!!
Old 01-03-2011, 02:24 PM

My system is "when the pile falls over, start a new pile."
Works (or doesn't) for me!
Old 01-03-2011, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Kayaker26
Does no one but me put there future projects in the bookmark section here?
I do but the projects here are but a tiny percentage of the projects I've got saved.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:33 PM

When I signed in for this board, I put a notebook together for things I print out. Somethings I bookmark on board bookmark and sometimes I bookmark on my search engine bookmark. I also make notes in my notebook about different products or websites, and how to's. I am not getting anything else done. Just a little cutting.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:51 PM

well yes scraps of paper and guess what .....when i look at them i forget what they might mean.....hmmmmmmmlol
Old 01-03-2011, 04:58 PM

I use Microsoft One Note a lot because it's great for organizing all the stuff I find on the internet...but I also have several cute little journals lying around, as a lot of great ideas come to me in the middle of the night, and that way I can write them down immediately.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:21 PM

I keep it in folders on my laptop, any patterns I use from magazines I scan and don't have to spend half a day looking for it when I've had a break from that particular quilt. Currently working on scanning all those loose bits of paper, that I keep finding every where. Lots in the back of last years diary.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:24 PM

When I was making square dance outfits, I started a little system with index cards. I’d sketch a design and staple swatches to the card. If using a pattern, I wrote the pattern number for the bodice, another for the sleeves, Many of the sketches were color penciled. I kept them in a typical card file box.

This habit carried over to quilting, sort of. Now, I carry a couple of small photo albums instead of a card file, into which I put cards of swatches. When shopping, my reaction is, “Ooh, that would be perfect for so and so.” That “perfect” fabric, probably the focal, is placed on the card, with so and so’s name on it. On future trips, I match other colors, gathering sale fabrics - having no idea how they’ll be used, just that they have a pleasing look. When so and so’s card fills up, or on those ‘don’t feel much like sewing’ days, I begin studying my block libraries. (Books and downloads) I find blocks/block combinations which will work well with the fabrics, print them out or scan them, scan the swatch card, and put it all into a sheet protector in a binder. I keep the original swatches in the photo album. I then assemble the selected stash of fabrics together in a ready zone.

When time to start a new project, I go the fabric and say, “now that’s for so and so, but what the heck was I going to do with it?” I look at the binder, and muse, “What was I thinking???” I toy around with the original idea on the EQ6, tweaking, design modifications or even complete changes. At least all of the fabrics (usually) are on hand to begin the project. Then it’s print, cut, sew.

The reverse is true too. An inspiration quilt, just waiting to find the right fabrics - A mini copy taped into the note book I carry around.

Part of my shopping “system” is my backpack. The big compartment is filled with my tote bags. The next larger one is for the photo albums, scissors, mirrors, color wheel, calculator, peep hole, magnifying glass, a small stapler and refill staples, a pen, and a small note book of wish lists. The smaller outside pocket is used for the discount coupons and a snack bar or crackers. (The drinks are in the cooler in the car.) The back pack goes everywhere with me. I just never know when I’m going to find a deal. When on a shop hop, I cut swatches between stores and add them to the albums, in no particular order. I gave up on trying to keep track of the yardage next to the swatches.

OC? Oh yeah.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:18 PM

I have a written list hanging above my sewing machine of quilts in process, tops that need to be quilted, quilts that need to be photographed for my journal and then a column of quilts on my "wish list".
Old 01-03-2011, 06:23 PM

No system what so ever.. I make plans and life takes over, so I do things on a whim mostly and do what I can when I can...