Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Favorite Quilting magazine >
  • Favorite Quilting magazine

• Favorite Quilting magazine

Old 01-10-2011, 05:09 PM

I have subscribed to several quilt mag's for years but always at the top of my list is Better Homes & Gardens Quilting and I also buy their Quilt Samplers each quarter.
    If you are short of time and a novice quilter a great choice is McCall's Quilt Quilting---These 2 mag's are the two I have taken for over 10 yrs.
    Old 01-10-2011, 05:16 PM

Go to Barnes & Nobles or Borders, but a cup of coffee and sit down with a whole pile of quilting magazines. Out of the pile you will find one or two that are just right for you. Over time your tastes and your skill level will change, and the magazines you find interesting will change too. I have favorites that I subscribe to, but everybody is in a different place as far as ability and interest, so find the ones YOU like.
    Old 01-10-2011, 05:17 PM

I like "Quick Quilts" and "American Patchwork and Quilting".
    Old 01-10-2011, 05:31 PM

I love Fabric Trends, Quilting Arts, The Quilter and all Of Fons and Porter. They have Love of Quilting, Baby Quilts, Kids Quilts and Easy Quilts. I find their patterns (included in the mags) and their instructions the easiest to follow. I also like to get inspiration from Cloth, Paper, Scissors which is a mixed media magazine. You might want to check out several and you'll probably find one or two that fit your wants and needs. Good luck.
    Old 01-10-2011, 05:55 PM

I've been working OT, so I splurged and bought 2 - McCalls America Loves Scrap Quilts & American Patchwork & Quilting . So many magazines are too full of advertising, I want more patterns & less ads.
    Old 01-10-2011, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mamagus
    I personally think the digital subscription to Quilter's World is the best deal around. 15.00USD and you can download back issues for two years and everything that comes out for the year ahead (as they become available). Then sit at the computer (and we all know us quilt boarders are good at that) and browse. You can print just the pattern you want. SAVE a tree! Or even better just keep your laptop open on your sewing table and follow the directions on the screen and SAVE another tree!!
    Ditto me. you can print off what you want, and save them all in your download file. How wonderfully techy!
    Old 01-10-2011, 06:35 PM

Only problem with subscripsions ,I have four or five, you don,t get the freebies that you sometimes get when you buy by the issue in the stores. :(. But getting something besides bills and ads in the mail is worth it! LOL
    Old 01-10-2011, 06:36 PM

I like Quilters World its all on-line and easy to follow instructions and economical
    Old 01-10-2011, 06:44 PM

Last year I let all my quilt subscriptions go thinking I would just buy one now and then if I found something I could not live without. I found that I bought EVERY Quiltmaker and if I could not find it, I SEARCHED. This year I resubscribed. I like the way they write instructions, not too wordy and they give 2 color ways of most every quilt. I still splurge when we travel, but not as much.
    Old 01-10-2011, 06:50 PM
    Power Poster

I used to get a whole bunch, but over time I realized that those created by the same publisher/editorial team seam to overlap patterns and I ended up with duplicates.

Quilter's Newsletter changed the format and I did not like how the magazine changed.

Others have way too much advertising for my taste. So I decided to save my subscription dollars and instead pick up the occasional magazine that strikes my fancy.

If I were to pick one up again, I would go with the Better Homes and Gardens Patchwork and Quilting.