Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever been to an unfriendly quilt shop? >

Have you ever been to an unfriendly quilt shop?

Have you ever been to an unfriendly quilt shop?

Old 01-19-2011, 05:56 AM
Banned

There is a shop local to me where the ladies who work there are stand offish. I thought it was because I was at the time a new quilter. After the same experience 3 times, I found a quilt shop that is fantastic 1/2 a mile away from them!
Old 01-19-2011, 06:03 AM

Sounds like the local Joann's store here! No body knows anything and can answer a question, when there are more than two people waiting to get fabric cut, the clerk disappears! If something is on sale, you can't find it, and the yarn-never plan on knitting anything that calls for two or more skeins of yarn, they don't have it. Don't use a debit or credit card-they either don't know how to use the machine or mess it up on purpose! It looks like they are having an identity crisis, are they a hobby and craft store, a fabric store or what? Disorganization rules! Unfortunately, the one fabric store within 50 miles is being forced out, and they are trying to relocate. Fabric.com will be getting my support. :cry:
Old 01-19-2011, 06:45 AM

To Just flyingin. The quilt shop that Scraps and I are discussing is in Dunedin. It really does have just an awesome selection and prices consistent throught our market. But, I was so angry after spending all that money and being treated so shabbily that I think I erased the name from my mind......but I'm sure you can find it on google ir in a Dunedin directory. As big as the Tampa Bay area is there are a surprisingly small number of Quilt shops.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:45 AM

when you shop/eat at any chain store/restaurant for anything, if the help runs you off, or is nasty, get the store number and the toll free number to their head office and phone and leave a complaint and be sure to give the store number and what exactly happened.
I ordered a roto tiller from Walmart online to pick up at the local superwal. Got the email to pick it up, went in and went to the CS area in the back, no one at the desk, and STOOD there 27 min! (after using the phone 4 X to notify them I was there -) while no fewer than 14 people in smocks went back and forth thru the back door, and 3 people asked me if I was waited on.
I finally grabbed a smock and said if someone didnt bring me my purchase Id go up front and throw a fit at the mgr. My tiller was wheeled out in 2 min.
I took my slip, all info was on the front and when I got home I phoned my complaint and then emailed my complaint for good measure.
The next time something was shipped for pick up there was no wait at all, zero! Registering an issue sometimes helps. sharet
Old 01-19-2011, 06:53 AM

I have to say our local Hancocks has friendly sales people. Our Hobby Lobby has a good selection and good prices but the sales people are not friendly at all. One in particular is crabby every time I go in. Since several local Wal-Marts discontinued fabric after remodeling (one still has fabric but you can"t find a sales clerk without hunting one down) the Hobby Lobby and Hancocks has increased their business.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:56 AM

Been in several unfriendly shops. We don't go back!
Old 01-19-2011, 06:59 AM

I go to a quilt store in Henderson, NV. It never fails everytime I walk in that store I am just looked at. No hello, how are you, can I help you...I don't have 3 eyes, I dress OK. Whats their deal? I still go back to touch their fabric but I don't buy from them too often. I'd rather give my money to a friendlier store.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:03 AM

I went to a shop in Kerrvile, Texas and I might as well been invisible, No one greeted me or spoke to me. No money spent there. In contrast I went to a shop in Sedona, where the clerk was friendly and helpful. Bought plenty. Thankful that I was travelling in an RV and not flying.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:05 AM

not unfriendly, but unknowdgeable, which can often be worse. At one of my LQS one of the workers does quilt and is helpful, but when she or the owner (who rarely see) can't be there the owners husband or another lady or two are there and they admit that they don't even quilt. So if you need help on figuring yardage for something you may as well not ask b/c they have no idea. I also find it bothersome when some of the clerks want to just talk - about everything except quilting - meaning telling me their life stories and ancedotes (sp) while I am trying to browse and/or concentrate. Sometimes unfriendly (not bothering me) would be a relief!
Old 01-19-2011, 07:07 AM

The local Wmart here has a sign (no bell) that says if you need service, go to the electronic clerk.Yeah,right! I'm sure he can find the notion I need or the right kind of batting !

Originally Posted by TexasSunshine
I have to say our local Hancocks has friendly sales people. Our Hobby Lobby has a good selection and good prices but the sales people are not friendly at all. One in particular is crabby every time I go in. Since several local Wal-Marts discontinued fabric after remodeling (one still has fabric but you can"t find a sales clerk without hunting one down) the Hobby Lobby and Hancocks has increased their business.