Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever been to an unfriendly quilt shop? >

Have you ever been to an unfriendly quilt shop?

Have you ever been to an unfriendly quilt shop?

Old 01-19-2011, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Scraps
Four of us gals drove 2 hrs each way today to go to the largest quilt shop in Florida! 20,000 bolts of fabric and 700 books, etc. etc. Fabric choices were abundant - displayed well - clean shop, but the most unfriendly women working there we couldn't believe it. We didn't know how to react!!!! Next week we are taking our money to a friendly shop!
Go to the Amish country in PA if you want unfriendly. Amish aren't allowed to smile or interact with "the outside, as we're called". You can find beautiful fabric, but customer service is very sadly lacking.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:25 AM

I stopped in a very small shop where there were three women behind cutting tables and apparently one other customer, they were all talking to her and didn't even acknowledge I'd walked in. I looked around just to make sure I didn't miss a rare find, and walked back out. I don't want people to push a sale down my throat, but come on, at least say hello!
Old 01-19-2011, 05:26 AM

davis2se - Yes, sounds the same! Old lady sitting at the cash register counter by the door - never looked up when we entered - another shopper directed us to the restroom!! - but the lady at the door was able to take our $$$. I know we "girls" were upset yesterday, as my bag of fabric is still sitting where I left it when I got home! I always have to open my fabric purchases and look at them again. I sure hate not to go back as 10,000 bolts of fabrics was awesome!! Yes, the back room (small warehouse) was filled with beautiful Christmas fabrics!! I will see what response I get from the owner and then decide about spending more $$ there. This has been an interesting 'conversation'. Wondering how many QS owners check out this board.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:37 AM

I had a customer that was a very regular guy at my work and after a while we got to know him very well. He retired from his job, and him and his wife moved back to the area and she started a shop. She ended up starting three shops in different cities. Well it was because of him, that I thought I would give it a try at his wifes shop. Also thinking that a smaller shop might be able to give me the attention to help me. I was so wrong..and it was his wife that waited on me. I never did say a word to him. I left with no added knowledge and never spent a dime. She made me feel like, if I was not a seasoned quilter...be on my way.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:38 AM

The best quilt shop near me has snotty women working there. Unfortunately, it's 2 hours away and - that's the closest one. They have the most amazing fabric and is really a beautifully equipped shop - if only they could have people working there that didn't look down their nose at everyone that walks in.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Scraps
This has been an interesting 'conversation'. Wondering how many QS owners check out this board.
I expect quite a few and I hope that at least one person who is in management at this shop takes a look. Seems like several have complained about the employees here.

I'm curious about where it is. My family lives in Pasco County--Dade City. Now I'm really curious as I didn't realize that there was a huge quilt shop within an hour or two.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:39 AM

Friday, seven of us went to our favorite fabric shop. Our Extension Agent called ahead to tell them we were coming and about what time we would arrive. Three members were picking out 24 fabrics for a Quick Quarter project this Friday. We pulled bolts from all over the shop, lined them up on two tables, and finally after 2 1/2 hours they had their choices. They only needed a 1/4 of a yard of each. Not only did they pleasantly cut 1/4 yard of each fabric, they numbered each one according to placement in the quilt. This shop has one cutter and one person to check out. No matter how many people are in the store, each one gets the same pleasant service.

They thanked us for calling ahead so they could go to lunch before we invaded the shop and an invasion it was. We offered to put the fabric back on the shelves, but they thanked us and said that they would do it. I had already selected and cut my fabric and only needed to pick up six or seven pieces for future use. I got mine quickly so I would not add to the confusion later. I just cannot bring myself to purchase only 1/4 yard because I know I will want more later, so I bought 2 yards of each (it was only $3 or $2.50 a yard).

Shopping for us is always such a pleasant experience.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:44 AM

capitol quilts in gaithersburg, md is a very unfriendly shop. Maybe if you spend thousands they are nice????

darlene
Old 01-19-2011, 05:50 AM

Yes! There's a shop about an hour's drive from me that is friendly. That's the one I visit most. The ladies are so very nice. They are always ready to help. You can just tell that they are all happy quilters.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:53 AM

After reading l these posts.I find it very sad that all these shops dont realize how much more business they would recieve if their employees,owners knew the meaning of good customer service.I would suggest that to everyone that hashad continued bad service at any shop,write them a detailed letter of your visit and the tell them,tell them how you were treated,what would be nice to experience when you walk in their door because they obviously dont get it.Myabe they dont realize it,they need to be told