Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you guys get your DHs to USE the quilt ya made them?? >

How do you guys get your DHs to USE the quilt ya made them??

How do you guys get your DHs to USE the quilt ya made them??

Old 01-22-2011, 03:13 PM

It's easy for me, I make the bed and put whatever quilt I think about at the time. I have some in the closet as well, but they all get switched around sooner or later. My DH is just glad the bed is warm. lol
Old 01-22-2011, 03:44 PM

Sweet that he cares so much about the quilts, but I know it is disappointing for you. My husband's mother made quilts for warmth when he was a boy, so he uses his quilt all year long downstairs in his TV room. Just keep encouraging him to use it.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:52 PM

Make him another one that is strictly for using, not looking at! Both of his other quilts probably have special meaning for him, & he might be afraid of ruining either one by using it. It was your first quilt - he wants it to be around for a long time. The Trekki one - well - that's special because it's a Trekki quilt, & he loves all things Star Trek. Doesn't this make sense.

Is there a pattern you have been wanting to try making? Make it & say that you don't know what to do with it, so he may as well have it.

I would tell you to lower the thermostat, but then you'd be cold & he'd probably be just fine, so that wouldn't work.

Good luck.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:55 PM

So just tell him no more quilts until you can see they are appreciated enuf to be used!
Old 01-22-2011, 04:01 PM

Thanks so much guys! Ya'll have some great tips and "tricks" to help me, I really do appreciate it. We had a long talk about this last night and came to a sort of compromise. It's nice that after 22 years, we can still get somewhere sometimes. LoL! He has decided to let me display the Trek quilt only, on a quilt rack that he is going to make just for this. So it will be out where others can see it and not rotting away in a closet. I also appreciate all the little laughs I got out of some of your responses, thanks again!!

**It should be noted that the compromise was only reached after I threatened to put enough sleeves on it to display it flat against the ceiling... ;-) Whatever works right? He didn't think I was serious 'til I took it out and started measuring for sleeves. lmbo!!
Old 01-22-2011, 04:08 PM

I don't make them for him, he can't understand why I even make them. So he can freeze, and I wrap up comfy cozy!
Old 01-22-2011, 04:56 PM

My husband hangs 2 of his on the wall in his man cave ie music room . But he does keep one out for his recliner, of course it is the one that's colors do not match the room!
Old 01-22-2011, 05:00 PM

Different problem here... I sew in the living room during the football season and my DH has watched the effort that goes into quilt making. Now when I start on a new project with no recipient in mind... he wants it. It's too funny!!! I recently finished the top for his very own quilt... and he asks me almost weekly, "when will it be done?".
Old 01-22-2011, 05:04 PM

i had the same problem until we moved from a warm home in texas to a very very cold house in arkansa now he will not let me take it off the bed
Old 01-22-2011, 05:08 PM

In our house, we have so many, that we have to use them. Each of dogs even have their own quilt. (and yes, my DH has his own too, and uses it)