Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you guys get your DHs to USE the quilt ya made them?? >

How do you guys get your DHs to USE the quilt ya made them??

How do you guys get your DHs to USE the quilt ya made them??

Old 01-22-2011, 09:09 PM

I think if you put them out he would use it. Just keep putting them out. Maybe he knows how much work you put into the quilts and is afraid to damage it. I feel that way about a couple of my quilts but I finally use them. Tell him they are better used and washed a few times. Enjoy!!
Old 01-22-2011, 09:49 PM
Power Poster

You might try turning the heat down LOL
Old 01-22-2011, 09:55 PM

i have never made him one lol
Old 01-22-2011, 10:11 PM

I don't have a DH but the rest of the family loves them & uses them. My grandkids are crazy about them. I made a queen size for my Dad awhile back & he is always telling me how warm & pretty it is. He is always taking his company in his bedroom to see it too. LOL Let your DH know that it kind of hurts your feelings because he won't use them.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:03 PM

I can maybe see why he doesn't want to use the Star Wars quilt...that might be collectable some day.

But I really think he doesn't want to do anything to "wear" it.

Make him a scrappy one and always have it on his favorite chair...or put it on your bed!

I have an order from my husband to make him and "exercise quilt"...(for you young 'uns...when you age, the floor really gets harder..even when that floor is under a thick carpet with a very thick pad!)

He has not started his exercise program yet..might be waiting for his quilt. I should get it finished to end that as an excuse! :-P :P
Old 01-23-2011, 12:15 AM

My DH loves the quilts I make and even helps with the designs. I make them to give them away. Same with my swedish weave afghans. I asked him if he wanted an afghan and he said no. I asked him if he wanted a quilt. He said no. So I didn't make him any. He has never set under a blanket of any kind to watch tv or used one while taking a nap. He likes sweats and a bath robe. He does often tell me I do good work. I can't hear enough of that.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:40 AM

keyboard wonk
Old 01-23-2011, 12:40 AM

I can never resist taking a contrary view.....

Originally Posted by PJisChaos
Actually this is exactly why I make him quilts. The one he uses without fail every time he sits down is some $20 Wal-Mart quilt that is so ratty and poorly made, it drives me bonkers he won't part with it. I have even tried bagging it for the trash only to hear him whine cuz he can't find his quilt. grrr! It's so far gone I can't even begin to repair it for him so I make him a new one. Only to have him stick it in the closet. I told him tonight that he likes crap blankets so much, I will just make him a simple crap quilt to replace this ratty thing. He says "Ok but what are you thinking?
It sounds to me like he is asking you to make him a really simple quilt which he will feel comfortable using. You are calling his taste "crap". I can't imagine that feels too good.

How bout making this or that design in these colors?" I say ok, but only if you will USE this one. He answered with a shrug and "Depends on how it comes out." :
The way you say it makes it sound bad, but ther are husbands out there (I've heard, LOL) who are not great about communicating, and maybe he is trying to tell you that he really just wants you to make him something simple?

Talk about a slap in the face, to me anyways. Tempted right now to make something so close to perfect and show-worthy and tell him he better like it cuz it's for his casket... in the very near future! See what that gets him.
Read that back- can you see how it might sound like the quilt is for you, not for him?

Why do you want to make him something he obviously does not want? Try to go back to the point where you were communicating and he was telling you what sort of "crap" quilt he would like, and use, and see if you can find it in your heart to make that one for him.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:01 AM

While I do understand everything you are saying here Novelty, I do see how reading words on the net looses translation and the way things are said. The quilt I made him, he helped design. Colors, blocks, even what parts he wanted used in it. He just never uses it. That is frustrating for me, especially since it is to specs, just how he wanted it. The 2nd one I made was the same thing, he took part in all aspects of it til it was finished then didn't like it. The HP one is the same. It just gets very frustrating when he wants one so bad and then refuses to use them. As far as making a crap quilt, as I call it, I was referring to the ratty, torn, literally falling apart cheap fake quilt from Wal-Mart that he also refuses to part with. If I made him a simple quilt, would he use it? That is what was meant by that. I don't make him quilts for me, I make them cuz he begs for them, helps plan and design them and then refuses to use them. Most people that know this also can see how this frustrates someone that puts all that time into making one when it ends up stashed in a closet. I am sorry if my take on this and attempts at sarcasm and even humor have offended or upset you but, the words I said are how I feel, given the situation here.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:15 AM

My son and husband say they aren't warm they have air pockets and can't keep warm under them. My son says the kids quilts are warmer since they have been washed more often. Then they sink down around you better. LOL