Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you guys get your DHs to USE the quilt ya made them?? >

How do you guys get your DHs to USE the quilt ya made them??

How do you guys get your DHs to USE the quilt ya made them??

Old 01-23-2011, 06:28 AM

PJ you didn't offend me at all, and likewise I did not mean to offend you- I was just trying to offer a different point of view.

It sounds like your DH is hard to please in the quilt department. I hope you work something out that will make you both happy.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:37 AM

Mine will only use them if they have the flannel backing. And to your hubby...if he doesn't use them, just don't make him anymore. Problem solved let him keep his old one or maybe just put a cover on it.
Originally Posted by KayT
My son and husband say they aren't warm they have air pockets and can't keep warm under them. My son says the kids quilts are warmer since they have been washed more often. Then they sink down around you better. LOL
Old 01-23-2011, 08:56 AM

Have you tried to NOT making one for him and telling him he can use it? Maybe throw it on the couch not folded? Good luck.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:50 AM
QM
Power Poster

I can see both sides of this one. I want my quilts used, but I am very aware that my great grandmother's quilts were destroyed by my brother ans sisters and me when we were playing with them as children.

My son has a better attitude. His kids are welcome to snuggle under quilts but not treat then roughly. My DH has 2 for the bed and a quillow for his comfy chair. They get used. The quillow's 'pocket' is flannel, with batting, so it's just right for cold toes.

I do no feel that I am creating artwork for the ages, but artistic expressions of love to be used and enjoyed NOW. I make quilts for children in out of home placements because I am sure they need that expression of love in their lives.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:09 PM

dear jpinchaos
If the husband won't use the harry potter quilt I will send my address & you can send it to me believe me it will et used. Tomrub
Old 01-23-2011, 03:33 PM

You must be so proud that DH really cherishes your quilts enough to forgo the pleasure of using them, but is he fully aware that you also feel a great disappointment that the love and thought that went into making these quilts is stored in a closet. I think deep down this doesn't bother you as much as you think it does, otherwise you would not keep making him quilts. You love making them for him, he obviously loves receiving them otherwise he wouldn't take the time and effort to air them. Sometimes you just need to accepts a situation and quite often it then doesn't seem to bother you so much.
You are a better person than I, my husband is a hoarder of most gifts he is given, we have been married 33 years, I have only been quilting for 2 years and as yet have not made him a quilt because I think the same thing will happen.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:27 PM

Well Suzi, I do agree with what ya said, accepting it and not letting it frustrate me so much. But, it makes it a bit easier to accept knowing that we at least came to a compromise about that particular quilt. We even have another compromise with the quickie quilt I just started for him in that he can pick the colors and had final say on the design but what he ends up with is all up to me. He didn't realize he was being so difficult and picky to make quilts for and really felt bad about that so has given me the ok to make it. With only a stipulation that it has to big enough to replace the ratty thing he uses now. He is 6'3" so has to bigger than a couch throw or lap quilt. So I reckon it's a win-win situation, I finally get to get rid of that nasty looking thing he uses and he gets a new one to replace it. Thanks for all the input, ya guys really did give me a new way to look at this and even helped with our solution! What a great group.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:48 PM

You could tell him it would really show how much he loved you by using it. Isn't that why you made it to begin with?
Old 01-23-2011, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by 1barron
You could tell him it would really show how much he loved you by using it. Isn't that why you made it to begin with?
Well yes and no, originally he was terribly disappointed that I couldn't figure out how to make a Trek quilt with a giant Enterprise on it. I had only been quilting a year or less and was completely self-taught to boot. I spent days contacting quilt sites and their owners asking if they could help me figure out how to do this with the skills I had. Got nowhere so took to his old Trek t-shirts and winged it from there. He really did love it but was still a bit bummed it didn't have exactly what he wanted on it. He treasures it nonetheless and I really do get that. But it is so unique and one-of-a-kind I would just like him to display it somewhere.

Sitting here re-reading all this thread makes me think I am still making them because I came up short with what he truly wanted and lacked the skills to do..? Does this make sense?
He is also a very hard person to please sometimes and I reckon we just clash terribly on this. So I will accept that he may never use one I make him and just limit myself to not making him so many. This one is it, besides finishing the HP quilt. But we did decide to enter that one in a show round here in the future just to see what happens. That is truly uncharted territory for me, I as most of you, feel my work is not worthy of something like that. We are our own worst critics, I have found. LoL
Old 01-23-2011, 09:17 PM

I have seen many posts on here where they have made quilt cabinets that would display them. Maybe he might pull them out when people inquire about them, proud as they are, he might start using them. It might be worth a try, as lam as it sounds. go figure hubbies/wives and how they think. I'm impressed that he pulls them out to refold and air out. that is just too funny. does he brag about the quilts you made? He must, my mom thought her hubbie didn't appreciate her efforts until she over herd him talking about one of her many quilts that she has made and how beautiful they are,