Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what do you say when somesone shows you their project >

what do you say when somesone shows you their project

what do you say when somesone shows you their project

Old 03-01-2011, 04:28 AM

My thoughts exactly!

My quilts will never be of the quality of many I see on this site, but it gives me great pleasure when someone sees something good in them. I am critical enough of my own work so any positive comment warms my heart. I try to remember this when I view the works of others.[/quote]
Old 03-01-2011, 04:56 AM

In class last Fall we were asked to take a piece of paper and a pencil and draw lines on it. Of course we did not know where we were going with this project, even though it was the first art quilting class. The results looked pretty bad to my eye. After while our teacher took each paper and found a wonderful spot on it to talk about. I really admired her ability to see something good that could be built upon.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:06 AM

I think that there's a difference between something someone has made recreationally, and something they're selling, such as at a craft show. There's never a need to be rude, but with someone selling their products, if they ask how I like them and I think the workmanship is poor, I would say so. It's pretty important information a business person needs. If it's someone who has made an item for the fun of it, I would always find something to compliment.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:10 AM

This kinda reminds me of this board----those of us with less than stellar skills post our pics and ALWAYS receive kind, caring remarks. We have all learned from practice and encouragement. Everyone deserves the encouragement.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:19 AM

"How nice. I can see you've worked hard"

Individuality is what sets us apart from the other species. otherwise we'd be boring.;)

Why would it break your heart to get negative comments - it's just ONE person's opinion....... Consider the source, smile, and move on.... :-)

Originally Posted by deema
If I can't find a single endearing quality...I say nothing at all. If its a one on one situation where I'd clearly be expected to say *something* I'd say something completely generic - "Very interesting fabric choices" or whatever. I really try to find something I like about any project, even if it's not my style. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I don't want to be "that guy" (well, I'm a girl) that said something about someone's work and hurt their feelings. Quilting techniques and choices are very much a personal thing. I put a fair bit of thought into the things I do for any given quilt. Maybe my color choices don't appeal to you...but there is a reason I chose them. Know what I mean? Maybe I chose those colors because they remind me of my deceased grandfather and I wanted to make something to honor him. For someone to then tell me my color choices are crap would break my heart...
Old 03-01-2011, 05:24 AM

I actually had an experience with something like this....but I was the "quilter" that was just starting out. I decided to attend a class making a Dresden Plate Block. The teacher, though a very skilled quilter, made negative comments about every stitch I took. My seams weren't perfect, they weren't straight...etc...and no matter how hard I tried, the more she commented, the more nervous I got. And my stitching got worse. Now, up to that point in time, I was an accomplished seamstress..I made all my own and my children's clothes..you would think making the transition to quilting would have been easy. And...I had made some simple applique baby quilts on my own already. But I wanted to learn to piece. Needless to say, the fabric and the one block from that class still reside in my UFO's. And, maybe most importantly, it was over 20 yrs before I could screw on my courage and attend another class. The only class I ever have attended....and it was on hand-piecing. And that experience has kept me from being around other quilters, too...I have, until this year, avoided guilds, classes, etc...as I felt so inferior. I still have to screw on my courage just to attend a guild meeting......

Now maybe my response to that one class was extreme....but it does go to show that our words are very powerful....and how we interact and what we say to another person can impact their life for a long, long time....

k
Old 03-01-2011, 05:46 AM

To me anyone to attempt to make a quilt, deserves kudos. Making a quilt or attempting to is not as easy as it looks, and also takes many hours of dedication.
I am a lover of colors, all shades, I love the majority of them. The person's choice of color, may not be my choice. It is there quilt and their choice.
I would never give a negative opinion. After all, I am not pefect, so who am I to judge.
We all start some where
Old 03-01-2011, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by deema
If I can't find a single endearing quality...I say nothing at all. If its a one on one situation where I'd clearly be expected to say *something* I'd say something completely generic - "Very interesting fabric choices" or whatever. I really try to find something I like about any project, even if it's not my style. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I don't want to be "that guy" (well, I'm a girl) that said something about someone's work and hurt their feelings. Quilting techniques and choices are very much a personal thing. I put a fair bit of thought into the things I do for any given quilt. Maybe my color choices don't appeal to you...but there is a reason I chose them. Know what I mean? Maybe I chose those colors because they remind me of my deceased grandfather and I wanted to make something to honor him. For someone to then tell me my color choices are crap would break my heart...
I am with Deema on this one. I often think outside the box and I like it and the person it is for likes it while others may think it is horrible. Always be encouraging. My grandma always said that if you cannot say something nice then don't say anything at all and when it comes to this situation that is a good rule to follow.