Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Be grateful for our relatively inexpensive fabric in the US >

Be grateful for our relatively inexpensive fabric in the US

Be grateful for our relatively inexpensive fabric in the US

Old 03-18-2011, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Homemother
I found that everything in Europe was more expensive than here in the states. They don't understand free enterprise like we do and don't have the competition that we have. Our friends in Europe like our prices here but then turn around and tell us how we do everything wrong. Bleh! We here in the US are truly unique and we should be proud of our society! (Maybe they import from the US and have surcharges added to everything!)
We were in Barcelona,Spain in 2009 and paid equal to $6.00 for a small bottle of lemonade...but when you are there, what can you do??? In Italy, paid almost $30.00 for med pizza and 2 bottles of water...but best pizza have ever had
Old 03-18-2011, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by dollycaswell
I'm visiting in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Ladies.....the quilting fabric here is about $21.00 per meter, which is only 3 inches more than a yard! That's the cheap fabric. The reproduction "Dutch prints" which are absolutely gorgeous are about $40-45.00 per meter! I honestly don't know how anyone here could afford to quilt. That's in US dollars, it's about 30 euros per meter or 13-15 euros per meter for the cheap fabric. Fat quarters are 7 euros which is about $10 for a fat quarter!! Be very, very grateful for our prices in the US. I can't wait to get home!
Be sure to wipe the drool off the fabrics, before you leave. :thumbup:
Old 03-18-2011, 08:07 PM

crabby Patty,, you are right... somewhere there is a rock pile ...........who is under it?
Old 03-19-2011, 02:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Crabby Patty
How do those of you who live outside the US afford to quilt? Is your wages in line with fabric costs? Ours are for the most part except those of us who are on limited income of SS. The gov. hasn't seen fit to give us a raise for a couple years. They say there is no raise in the cost of living.LOL I don't know what rock they are living under.

fabric is more expensive here,but I don't buy other than I need,often buy from US, but it's the travelling to quilt shops.
think raises both for employees and those who live from the state everywhere are non existant ,in fact some employees have had their wages/hours cut to keep their jobs.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:26 AM

That's why I buy my fabric online....GOD BLESS THE INTERNET!!! lol
Originally Posted by huntannette
just about 20 $ a meter in Canada
Old 03-19-2011, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by rutthy
Here in the UK we pay around £10.99 a metre and upwards from there, that is about $16 and upwards. I have tried shopping online and getting my fabric sent over from the USA, but by the time I pay shipping charges and all the taxes for it coming into this country the fabric works out dearer in the long run. Maybe I will just emigrate to the USA and I will be able to sustain my hobby( I meant passion):)
Try http://www.thousandsofbolts.com/index.cfm for fabrics Just remember to keep your order to under £18 to avoid Import duties. For under £18 you can get 6 yards of Cotton and 4 yards of flannel go into a USP envelope which costs approx; £10

http://www.threadart.com/shop/category.aspx?catid=2 for threads.

If you use this site http://www.xe.com/ to convert the currency you will see how much you can save, honest as I use them ALL the time.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:22 AM

HOW DOES THE INCOME COMPARE IN THOSE COUNTRIES TO THE INCOMES HERE?
Old 03-19-2011, 04:34 AM

We certainly are bless in this country. Just think if we had to pay $10 for a gallon of milk, $50 for a lb of beef, or $20.00 for a gallon of petrol/gas for our vehicles. We complain to much in this country because of all the freedoms we have. We take things for granted but don't realize how good we have had it.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by PATTIESPEARL
HOW DOES THE INCOME COMPARE IN THOSE COUNTRIES TO THE INCOMES HERE?
Incomes in many of those countries do not fair as good as even our minimum wage in this country.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by JanieW
I wonder why God chose to only bless the USA?
The statement is not exclusive. I'm an atheist and know that this statement is an exclamation of gratitude, not a demand.