Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Need to Vent!!!!!! >

I Need to Vent!!!!!!

I Need to Vent!!!!!!

Old 06-21-2011, 07:36 AM

Hobo2000 is right on! Check out a knowledgable TECH person. There are programs you can download so your new computer will "read" and operate older program versions.

Maybe you should mention the name brand machine you use. Sometimes having more voices calling customer service
helps everyone in the long run.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:41 AM

My DH does not understand why on earth I want to hold on to our old desktop. I have tried to explain but now I can print this topic and let him read for himself. Thanks
Old 06-21-2011, 07:55 AM

lol well I did want an embroidery machine, but now, not so much. Unless it is going to be a booming business, I can't see a reason for one, due to all the upgrades.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:03 AM

Most of the new pc will allow you to run it as an older version of the operating system; like win 7 will run a program like it's in XP. This doesnt work all the time. I recently got the magic box for my old viking and even with me telling it to run on the last operating system shown to run it it wouldn't run. I was lucky I called my son and got my old laptop back since they had upgraded and bought a battery and charger for it and now it's going to be just for sewing stuff. That may be an option for you; laptops with older versions of software are available really cheap.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:07 AM

what do you need to read/write your cards? I got a magic box on the internet pretty good and our LQS has a newer reader also. I have the viking #1 and I couldn't get hers to work but when I got the same problem w/the magic box then I got my old laptop back. Good luck w/your pc/software problems.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:08 AM

If you can, buy a used computer that contains the old operating system.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:10 AM

That is the solution to the problem. Buy a used computer with the old operating system.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:15 AM

Don't know if this has been addressed - but atleast the upper versions of windows 7 can be run as windows xp. It's one of the big features in the upgrade. It may be less expensive to upgrade your windows so that you can do this instead of buying new software for your machine (about $75).
Old 06-21-2011, 08:17 AM

When My old computer crashed I bought a Dell laptop that had XP from my LQS. She had them specially made for us to use with our embroidery software. Since then, Dell has an option to run XP on some of their new computers.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:27 AM

So sorry this happened to you lovelly. I don't know much about computers (have to call my kids when I have a problem) but I know when my girls got out of college and started their profession they both bought new computers. I was left holding the old ones. I think at one time I had three in the basement collecting dust. Just donated them to Goodwill. Maybe you know someone who's kids were in college and did the same thing. I wish I had known you then. I would have given them to you for free. If they are like me they would be happy just to get rid of them. Also try putting a note on your grocery store bulletin board asking about a used one. You might get lucky. If worse comes to worse, try selling them to someone with an older computer who might be interested in them for a discounted price. Good luck.