Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Need to Vent!!!!!! >

I Need to Vent!!!!!!

I Need to Vent!!!!!!

Old 06-21-2011, 06:26 AM

Embird software is reasonable priced and supports many machines. Check it out. You can download and try free for a while.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
Take your computer to a techie, he can run a dual system one with the current windows and another with your old windows version and load your old software on to that system. When the system come up it asks you which system to open with. I am operating with 3 systems because my Janome is so old I have to run Windows 98, my digitizing softWare is win2000 and my new software for my new Janome is windows 7. It all works fine now and only cost me $50.00 to have it set up that way.
brilliant idea !!!

I also just bought a new pc because I ran out of space. So, I've designated my old laptop (with Win XP) just for my embroidery designs. I don't have the digitizing programs but that's definitely something to consider down the road.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by GiGi
This is called technology/digital age. Unfortunately, PC's get virus' and crash. MAC's don't. Did you download to a USB stick? You always need to back-up your information on something so when your PC crashes and eats everything, all you have to do is utilize your USB and your information is safe. Tks. GG
Actuallly, it was an iMac that crashed on me!!!!
Old 06-21-2011, 06:37 AM

I like hobo2000 suggestion... it is difficult with everything nowdays... a person has to be so savvy not to get ripped off... I feel your pain... but word of mouth is very powerful... what was the brand?
Old 06-21-2011, 06:42 AM

I had this problem with a recipe database that ran on Windows XP but wouldn't run on Windows 7. My husband (the engineer) made a "virtual" windows XP program that launches whenever I run the recipe database. The right person could probably do the same thing for you. On the other hand, it might not save any money if you have to pay someone to do it.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:45 AM

if your pc is slow try this; open up your browser and go to tools then internet options. Delete your cookies, offline content, brower history and temp internet files. If you see the box that shows how many days to keep files/history choose 0.; setting it a 0 will clean out these files each time your pc is shut down for you. All of these things can make your pc run really slow. We have to do this all the time at the hospital and sometimes these files are so full that the nurses/doc can't get into some applications. I work for the IS dept here.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:53 AM

This very thing happened to me also. My software is not compatable with my new. I tried everthing, then I did buy a lesser version of the software that just allows me to download the designs. What a bummer!!! I feel Husvarqna is just to expensive and that I should have purchased an other type of machine. To late now. Janome would have been my choice, had I known about prior to making the purchase I did. All assessories are much cheaper.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:58 AM

What happens when you purchase a newer computer, you can get a 32 bit or a 64 bit computer today and your older software won't work on a 64 bit comp. My computer is acting up and will be needing another, but my embroidery software version will not work with a 64 bit comp. When ugly vista came into play the emb. people had to wait for our emb. software to be made compatable with vista. Once your software reaches a certain age the company has newer versions out there so they discontinue upgrades for the older ones. Depending on how much you want to spend on emb. software, you can find some that can always be upgraded, but you will pay a lot more up front for the software.

Good Luck

Suzy
Old 06-21-2011, 06:59 AM

So sorry, maybe if theres a computer company close by, you could take it to them and see what they could do, its worth a try.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:10 AM

I want to thank everyone for all their sympathy and helpful suggestions! I have an old XP computer from my school that I need to turn in this summer because we are getting "new" ones. I am going to "test drive" the program on it and if it works, I will beg to buy the computer from the school as long as the price is right.
I have been struggling with keeping the brand secret from some weird sense of what is right, I know software gets outdated but I SHOULD be able to use old software that I paid a bundle for by just purchasing a REASONABLY priced upgrade. So, since I feel far more loyalty to you quilters, and would hate to see you get stuck spending more money in this economy (I can't as I am retiring in Dec.) I will let you know that the company is Husqvarna Viking.
When I bought my Scandinavia 400, the dealer (now out of business) told me it was a new machine. What I didn't know is that it was new in the box, but the box had been setting around for quite a while. I purchased in 2006 and later found out that it was made in 1990. I thought I was buying the latest and greatest that I could afford, but before long they were no longer manufacturing the reader/writer card I needed to download my embroidery and put into my machine. The company was no help then, either. Just a sorry, maybe you can find a dealer somewhere that still has a card. I am not happy with Husqvarna at all. I would never buy another machine from them.
One of the ladies in my quilt guild purchased a very expensive machine from them last year. Her machine wouldn't sew right from the first try. She kept sending it back for repair and finally called Husqvarna and was given no help at all, just told it was still under warrenty so send it in for repair. That machine just sits in a corner now and she bought a Bernina and loves it.
Again, thanks for all your help. There just may be a way for me to beat this company and not spend any more money with them!