Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Need to Vent!!!!!! >

I Need to Vent!!!!!!

I Need to Vent!!!!!!

Old 06-21-2011, 03:14 AM

Don't you hate it when things get upgraded so they don't work on your existing hardware. I ended up purchasing a new embroidery machine because mine is at least 20 years old and I had to have it in the shop three times last year. The problem is that I have at least 2 or 3 thousand dollars tied up in software that my new computer with Windows 7 would not open. I have a Magic Box but it won't work with the new computer either. The new embroidery machine uses a USB port as well as an embroidery card. That is the only way I can access at least half of my embroidery library. To make matters worse there are not even enough places in my new computer to plug in all of my stuff so even if the Magic Box would work there is no place to install it.
No wonder our landfills are full of perfectly good hardware that is no longer compatable with the newer stuff.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:39 AM

I was new to embroidery, so bought the very expensive Viking software when I bought my Designer 1. Afterward, I learned of Embird. I had a very hard time learning the Viking software and never really did get a good handle on it, so I bought Embird. Embird is a mere fraction of the cost of the Viking software. Wow! what a difference in software. Embird is very user friendly and easy to learn. Plus, there are several Yahoo groups that are tremendously helpful. I was lucky in that I sold the Viking software for what I paid for it. Updates are free and upgrades are very reasonable. I absolutely love and recomend Embird.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:45 AM

This is what happened to me, except that the program never worked well in any case. There are many similar stories that i have read on line. I believe it to be a con and that we should be able to use the programs at the level that we bought them instead of being forced to spend the same amount of money to upgrade every couple of years. However, the company disagrees and so i will no longer buy any of the products produced by that group.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:45 AM

I had a similiar experience when I bought and new computer with Windows 7 and none of my old designs would work. I talked to the techie at Best Buy and ended up buying an upgrade to Windows 7 Professional. It works with older windows programs as well as the newer ones.
Jo Ann
Old 06-21-2011, 03:54 AM

I have a lot I mean a lot of embroidery designs and I keep them all on a external hard drive. I had that happen once and the computer store was able to save my computer but it tought me to back up everything on my external hardrive minumal cost. I learned fast.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:08 AM

before you toss computers ...find a computer geek that can let you use it just for your software....that way...they can delete what you don't need for it and then get another just for your other use.
they never tell you these things up front..ggrrrrr makes me so mad.
sorry for your bad luck....But I would also reserach the name of the pred of the company and send him a personal letter and give him what for.But if you want something done don't fool round with the little people.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:24 AM

I would definitely keep it in the back of my mind the next time I was in the market for any kind of machine! That's a bummer.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:25 AM

I agree with hobo2000, I am running a dual system on my computer Lap top, running windows and Linnux. The same with the two desk tops. My husband partitioned the hard drive so I can run some older software programs. (My DH love to geek around on his computer)
Old 06-21-2011, 04:56 AM

I wonder if you could find an older refurbished computer for a reasonable price that you could use just for the software that the new computer will not take. Just a thought.
Originally Posted by lovelyl
OK, I know there is no solution to this, but I just need to vent. When I purchased my embroidery machine ( in fairness, I will tell the brand) I also "bit the bullet" and purchased the software that would allow me to design my own embroidery. I didn't feel I could afford the upgrades (two since I purchased) so I continued using the old software which was fine for my purposes. Last month, my computer crashed and I had to replace it. My embroidery software would not work on my new computer, so I just called the company to see what the problem was. I was informed that the company was no longer supporting the old version and it would not work on my new computer operating system. When I asked about an upgrade, they said there was none, I would just have to purchase the new version, no cut in cost what so ever. The new version is WAY too expensive for me now. I feel like I am being punished because my computer crashed!!!! There, I feel better after venting. I guess. I still don't have any software for my embroidery machine. Bummer. Thanks for listening! :-(
Old 06-21-2011, 05:03 AM

The same thing happened to me..and I can quess what company you are taking about...but I won't... The problem is that your new computer probably has windows 7 which will not work with the software. Most of these companies do have patches you can download and that will fix the problem...If you have an older machine that reads cards you will have to find a computer that supports the card reader which windows 7 doesnot...I finally went on Ebay and found a computer with the same OPS in order to use my software....my software now works and I didn't have to go out and buy another machine...(which secretly I was hoping I would have to...hehe). Try downloading the patches and hopefully it will work for you....