Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
QB- Good and Bad >

QB- Good and Bad

QB- Good and Bad

Old 07-10-2011, 03:14 AM

I know what it's like to be the caregiver and I love my quilting also for the same reason ( I watch over a 87,82,81 and 80 year old)...... Hang in there ..... edit: after reading this, I finally figured out why I am so tired all the time...LOL
Old 07-10-2011, 03:17 AM

You are a quilter and an inspiration. I aspire to be able to quilt something as beautiful as your avatar by the way.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:17 AM

Dear Joy H. You may think you are not much of a quilter. You have a heart of gold, you are a wonderful caring person and there would not be one of us on this "Board" that doesn't appreciate you for the loving care you give to your family. You are one of those people who makes the world go round and your quilting is so filled with love. We, also, are so filled with love for you for being the person you are. Your quilting is just perfect in our eyes and speaking of eyes I think that mine have just sprung a leak. Lol from Gleniveve and the Quilting Board.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:18 AM

Hey, there are no quilt police here on the board. Don't let what others do or say discourage you from doing what you love. We all quilt for different reasons. Some, just for the joy of it, some to win praise and contests. Believe me after 45+ years of quilting, my seams do not always meet either. But--the main thing is that you enjoy what you are doing and the product of your hands brings you joy.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:23 AM

Don't forget the joy of sharing our thoughts, disappointments, pleasures and pics (when we finally learn how to post them) with so many friends on this board. You all are the first thing in the morning with my cup of coffee.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:28 AM

God Bless your giving heart.
Be happy in your great talent.
For helping others and
creating such nice quilts
Old 07-10-2011, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by saf
Originally Posted by Joy Higdon
After joining this QB(and I love it) it has been a downer and upper for me. I have gotten a lot of inspiration and encouragement from it. But, after having quilted for many years and many, many quilts I am depressed to find that I am not much of a quilter. I always thought quilting was for the love of it not perfection. I don't have a fancy machine, I have problems with my 1/4 inch seam, I don't prewash, I use what thread I have, I use what fabric I can afford, and I am always confused with which way to press a seam. So you can see I don't do much of anything right. Sure hope Charisma can quilt the Snake River log cabin I sent to her. But I just thank God that I can enjoy quilting because I love it. I am a caregiver for my 87 yr old brother, my 76 yr old husband and my 56 year old son. It is an outlet for me. I thank God for it. Love all of you on the board. God bless
My grandmother and her friends didn't have fancy machines, just a treadle that did a straight stitch. I know that they used the fabric that was left over from other sewing and the thread was the same as they used for sewing clothes. Templates and patterns were made from whatever card or paper they had to hand. I could go on. They made beautiful quilts with love and care. Were they perfect? Probably not. Were they quilters? They certainly were and so are you. :thumbup:
I certainly can't afford to buy all higher priced LQS fabrics. (No LQS in Texarkana anyway.) I have a few more expensive fabrics, but they were all bought on sale. Most of my fabrics come from Walmart, Hobby Lobby and Hancocks.

Another "no, no" by many on the QB that I do is use sheets for backings. They are more affordable and I don't have to piece them.

My grandmother and her sisters and friends made all the beautiful quilts I grew up with. They all hand pieced and hand quilted, but their quilts were also made with the fabrics they could afford and they used sheets for backings. My thought is...if it was good enough for them, it is good enough for me!

If others prefer and can afford the higher priced fabrics, etc., I say that is great. However, what some people here spend on supplies for just one quilt, I can make several which translates to making more people, including me, happy.

Does all this make me (or my grandmother, aunts and their friends) less of a quilter? I don't think so.

Still I love the QB. I have learned so much here and I love seeing all the beautiful quilts. They all inspire me, regardless of the prices of the fabric used or skill levels. I love the fact that so many here are so quick and willing to share what they know and to help people they have never met.

I see the QB as a good thing and, if I see a post of someone insisting that I have to use expense fabrics, I just go back to, "If it was good enough for Granny, it is good enough for me!" And I am happy!!!
Old 07-10-2011, 03:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mizkyp
Joy, you are a quilter. Fancy machines, 1/4 inch seams, and fabric dont make the quilt. It's the love that goes into the quilt that matters.
Happy quilting,
Margie
I agree!! Just enjoy creating!
Old 07-10-2011, 03:39 AM

Aww Joy! Don't feel that way!! If you really think about it and take a hard look, the quilts of old were not perfect in any way! They were recycled clothes, towels, "feed" sacks of all things, napkins, and whatever worn out thing they could find! They were mainly to use, because back then there were no nice furnaces blowing heat to each room. I have a quilt top made by my G-Gma and it must have been made from every ugly shirt my G-Gpa had, all with the foam/ mint green border...the colors are nearly hideous, but I think it's beautiful :) That's what it's all about!

This is our therapy, at least for me anyway. I find it calms me, no matter what kind of job I am doing. That is priceless! Mistakes are character, just like our individual imperfections are what make us all unique! Just like each individual quilt :) When I look at other quilts on here, I am really just looking at the patterns, because there is no way I dare try to compete with what is on here! I think hand quilting is the most beautiful/ authentic, but I will never do it that way...I wouldn't live long enough to get it done! lol
Old 07-10-2011, 03:42 AM
Banned

Many years ago I taught adult education and one of the subjects related to "I Messages" meaning - such and such effects me in such and such a way rather than say "you must or have to do such and such". I find too many of the message imply that the way I do it is the only way and certainly the proper way. No reason is given for the way things are done - such as......"I don't pre wash because....." and then let the one who questioned make up their own mind. Or.......instead of saying "you must use 1/4" seams because thats the way of true quilting......instead of - making consistent seams makes the process easier and pieces fit......

Enough said.

And then my most pet peeve......is a question that does not give all the details and facts and then 2 dozen answer without having a clue as to the initial problem.....ust guessing about what it might be.