Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Checking myself in to Fabric Rehab >

Checking myself in to Fabric Rehab

Checking myself in to Fabric Rehab

Old 07-17-2011, 05:45 AM

I was really bad about buying fabric in the stores and then we got a computer and I found Ebay. I bought so much stuff I will never live long enough to finish half of it. I am almost 65. I have took a long hard look at what I have and I decided not to buy any more fabric. I am now making myself finish my UFOs. Once they are done I will work on my stash. Good luck. You can do it.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:48 AM

Well, I have more stash and gadgets than I ever expected to have - especially since I sew on an oversized card table in the guest room with the linen closet filled with all my "stuff"! What caught my eye was your not binding your quilts!! My sewing friend and I went to our LQS and got help finishing our quilts - just go in and ask for help! We do the binding from back to front and top stitch - they look great and it is easy! I don't think you can get Blue Ribbons that way though. Go have fun learning and feel good about finishing all your quilts!!
Old 07-17-2011, 05:50 AM

I have been cleaning my craft room and getting rid of things too. I have to remind myself to stay focused on what I want my area to look like. My vision is a less cluttered peaceful area to create. Its a process and it takes time. Stick with it there are rewards along the way. :D
Old 07-17-2011, 05:52 AM

Jacquie, when you get ready to get rid of some of that stuff, please let me and my daughter know. I wanna be first at your sale :)
Old 07-17-2011, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by sheree alexander
Hi, I just wanted to say I support you because I know that when a love becomes an addiction we begin to feed the addiction but not find the joy that was part of the initial love.
Its so overwhelming, isn't it? And realizing a change must happen is also overwhelming, I think.
A book that has helped me "rope things in, a little at a time" is Sink Reflections--I am sure you can find it at the library. I have never gotten through the whole house or been able to follow her "plan" but she has some little fixes you can do everyday (maybe 15 or 20 minutes)without making all the "big decisions". Slowly you will see the results you are looking for without the heartbreak. Good luck. Keep us in the loop.
Thanks Sheree for the Sink Reflections recommendation. I checked the website of the author. Flylady.net has a 30 day program of "baby steps" to take control of the chaos-clutter in our lives. I already signed in to her daily reflections newsletter.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:05 AM

All though my addiction is not at your level yet, I am addicted too. Only yesterday I got on line for fabric sale and added a bunch of fabrics to my cart and got to where I use my credit card when I realized what I was doing, then simply turned off the computer. Here at home I have boxes, dresser drawers and a walkin closet full and yet want more. I even make a few sets of pillow cases in order to get rid of some of the material. I have rulers galore and can not part with any of them because I might need one. Ready to join you in rehab.
IdahoSandy
Old 07-17-2011, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

Hi Mary,
I really hear you!! At first I was laughing, and we must laugh at ourselves but honestly last fall I had a melt-down of this nature. I had so much stuff I couldn't enjoy doing what I love to do!
So I totally cleaned out my sewing room and got honest with myself of what I really want and don't want. It's hard to do but with the help of this board I persevered. Many wonderful comments on organization, stash reduction, etc.
It took a long time and I had some setbacks- family events, stuff like that, but I finally finished it.
I now have a room that's inviting. I WANT to be in there instead of closing the door and giving up in frustration.
I was also mad at myself for accumulating so much but donated things and that alone gave me great satisfaction- knowing that someone could also enjoy this passion.
I haven't looked back on anything I got rid of.
I also cut my buying waaaaay down, now that I know what I actually have in that room. I kept what I love and intend to use it :)
I am finally more productive. Having too much stuff made me too overwhelmed. This may not work for everyone but it worked for me :)
You need a HUG! So I just gave you one :D
Sue
Old 07-17-2011, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by lavadahaga
I do my binding on the sewing machine. I know it is not a popular method, but it gets the job done and I can move on to the next project. I figure I piece on the machine, quilt on the machine, so why not bind on the machine.
I love this approach! I'm adopting it. THANK YOU!!
Old 07-17-2011, 06:08 AM

There is a Room of Hidden Things on the second story of my home. It is filled with all the wonderful ideas and materials collected for projects planned for retirement. It used to be a guest room and before that a child's room. Now it has but one purpose: to store my latest acquisitions, safe from prying eyes.

Thanks to J.K.Rowling for the idea. :
Old 07-17-2011, 06:18 AM

How about a 2-cent psychological point of view?

Maybe at one time your life was out of control and you went and bought all this stuff because it was the one tangible thing you could control. Unfinished, probably because you didn't want the commitment; it was a way of being so pulled into the other life stuff not finishing these beauties was another means of control.

Now you want to cleanse. All that other life stuff is either not happening or is at a manageable stage. Now you need to see which of those beauties - including fabric, books, gadgets, batting - that you love and keep those. Donate the rest. Don't burden yourself by wondering how to sell them. Donate them to a nursing home's arts and crafts room.

A few years ago I was where you are but at a smaller scale with different items. Craft supplies, clays, beads, fabric, puzzles, supplies, you get it. I did what I said and today have everything under control. And it feels wonderful!

You have to figure out why it got so overwhelming before you can understand how to cut back and rebuild a stash you can live with.