Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Would you? >

Would you?

Would you?

Old 08-19-2011, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
NO....first off...his buying materials means what...you can't buy materials until you know what you are going to make!
Are you planning to do more quilts like your sons? Then you need to copyright your designs...if they are copyrightable! If you have never done consignment or piece work you need to find someone who has and talk to them about what to expect. Sadly you will find that we will be working your butt off and will have little to show for it in the end. Especially if you are splitting the end monies with someone!

AND just whom is he planning to market your quilts too?
Is he able to target an audience that will shell out $200 for a baby quilt? Remember, even if the cost of materials is covered by him, he expects to double that for a profit...so that means you do all the labor, at say $10 an hour, and then you have to double that for a profit.
You make some great points. But $10 an hour is MacDonalds pay. I charge $25 an hour for alterations and am told by my friends at Joanns that that is not enough. My DDIL has some fantasy that she can sell my quilts for at least $200. I don't think it is going to happen. I think this man was trying to make points with all the other people at the baby shower, he sounds like a politician to me. Everything needs to be hashed and rehashed and put in writing.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:18 AM

Make sure you figure out how much money you will make per hour when you figure out how much the quilts should sell for.....otherwise you will be working for perhaps 75 cents per hour. You have to think very hard to see if it will actually pay for you to do this.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:20 AM

Why not? You get to do something you love without risking any $$$. However, DO GET YOUR AGREEMENT IN WRITING because I'd hate to have you make all those lovely quilts, he sells them and keeps the $$$! It needs to be laid out very clearly how the sale price of the quilts is documented, how and when you get paid. You are entering into a business with this man and you need legal protections. I know it is tempting to take someone's word, but I would really hate to see you taken advantage of. I know you are on a fixed income, but you might want to invest in an hour with an attorney to make sure you are protected and will get paid a proper amount for the time and knowledge you are bringing to this project. Personally, I would prefer to have him pay me when he gets the quilt ($25/hour for your work is reasonable), then he can sell it for whatever and that $$$ is all his. Once the quilt is out of your possession, it may be difficult to get paid for it.

Also, I would agree that he can pay for the material, but you need to be with him to pick out the materials so you get quality materials and the right colors to make the quilt you want to make. I would make 1 or 2, see how they sell and then go on.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:26 AM

The pressure of doing this might be more than when you are making something out of love for a family member.. Calculate the monetary return vs what it's costing you mentally. I would commit to doing 1 or 2 and see how it fits into your lifestyle. Best wishes. It really feels good to be recognized doesn't it?
Old 08-19-2011, 05:27 AM

I would do it..I sell mine..because we now live on my DH Vets Pension..I would have something in writing..keep absolute control of your designs and 51% of all.. after supplies are met !!
Old 08-19-2011, 05:36 AM

You have rec'd some good advise from many people, but if I were you I would figure out what you should have for your time and make him pay that and then you would have your money. I was taken a few years back by a man that was buying baby quilts from me and then one day he brought his niece over to pick out a quilt. She couldn't decide between two of them, he said no problem take both. When they left he said he would stop back the next time he passed buy and that never happened. Being he had bought baby quilts from me for almost two years and always paid cash and he would usually sit and talk for awhile we trusted him. Took him to small claims court and he never showed up and to this day have never seen him again and was out over $200.00.I called him numerous times and he always said I'll be there soon, but never showed up. So be very cautious and I would definetly get my money before those quilts leave your house.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:37 AM

The problem is....in this ecconomy people ARE cutting back, and $200 for a baby quilt, even for the wealthy, is a lot. I am also a wooden bird carver........sometimes it takes me a month to do a carving. People see them and want to buy them. No one realizes the labor that goes into hand made goods. People really don't want to pay more than $60 for anything hand made. That doesn't even begin to cover your supplies, and labor!
The gal who said she gets $25 for alterations is right. You will never get that for quilting.......no one appreciates the labor!
Old 08-19-2011, 05:39 AM

I hate to rain on your parade but I agree with Jaciqltznok. It seems to me you have the most to lose if this arrangement doesn't work out. You will have spent your time and creative abilities and he probably keeps the quilt(s) since he paid for the material.
If you are really wanting to create quilts to sell, talk to quilt shop owners and get some additional information about the selling aspect. The quilts you sell would have to be your own design, commercial patterns are "for your personal use" and not to be made to sell. Does this man know anything about the quilt market?
You will have to pay income tax on your earnings. What effect will that have on your return?
Take your time, get answers to all your questions, then make your decision.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:39 AM

I should have said...NO ONE BUT ANOTHER QUILTER appreciates the amount of labor that goes into the project!
Old 08-19-2011, 05:42 AM

All good advise. Proceed slowly, thoughtfully and with legal advise.