Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • How many still get really worried about how ....... >
  • How many still get really worried about how .......

• How many still get really worried about how .......

Old 09-02-2011, 09:31 PM

My MIL was a cleaning freak. She vacuumed everyday and had the strict Monday-is-Wash-Day, Tuesday-is-Ironing, etc. routine. For the first 3 years, I made sure our place was spotless without a dust speck in sight. After my daughter was born, I would pull out the latest set of photos of the darling child to show Nonna. Then my MIL would ask for her purse, because she needed her glasses to look at the photos. THAT'S when I quit worrying about dusting BEFORE MIL showed up. She truly had a "Blind" eye for the dust.
    Old 09-02-2011, 09:51 PM

My MIL has been gone for more than 10 years.
    I wish she had come to my house more often.
    And I wish she was still here so I could sit down & talk to her about so many things. I sure do miss her!
    Old 09-02-2011, 10:05 PM
    Kas

It doesn't matter who is coming over, I still stress about the house. Now does that make me keep it clean all the time? No. But I do make sure it is spic and span for the inlaws. I have a great MIL, but I still want her to be pleased with me. She is one of those old fashioned types that thinks you NEED 8 place settings or you are falling down on the job, but she has never been critical of me to my face or to my husband.
    Old 09-02-2011, 10:15 PM

I really wish my DML could come to visit. We lost her December 14, 2007. Yes, I would tidy up before she came to visit. I didn't worry about it though. I tidy things up whenever anyone comes to visit. :)
    Old 09-02-2011, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by dixiebelle162002
    their house looks before their mother-in-law comes for a visit. I do. My mother-in- law is coming soon and she is the most wonderful one anyone could ask for, but I still want everything to look the best it can. Her house always looks so neat and clean. I always tell her she needs to come to my house and throw things out for me. I don't really mean that I could never part with my stash and many treasures (LOL). She doesn't keep any clutter. Oh well, I guess my house will never look that way. I just though it would be interesting to see how many worry about the mother- in- law visit.
    Not me. I keep busy at stuff all day----------just not housework. She watches TV all day.
    Old 09-02-2011, 11:43 PM

Now, I'm feeling guilty about a comment I made to my DD about the doggy hair on the floor. I'll have to apologize tomorrow!
    Old 09-03-2011, 08:01 AM

GrannieAnnie - After we monetarily fixed up and helped purchase a home for our single son, I think that I can comment about the sticky kitchen island that I put my purse on(to keep it out of the dogs' reach). Yuck.

I wouldn't I let him "borrow" my vacuum 3 months after he moved in to clean the new carpets. I checked the Target ad and sent DH to purchase Sonny-Boy a new one. We got him the pet-owner model. DS was amazed how much hair was in the cup after the first vacuuming.

I loved to hear that part. He's got two dogs and two boy roommates. I don't expect CLEAN. I just want him to be happy and healthy.
    Old 09-04-2011, 12:11 PM

I worry more about when my daughter-in-law visits. No matter how clean and neat my house is it is not clean enough for her standards. I try and cut her slack because she is military and she has to keep a clean house, they live in base housing, but it still ticks me off that she acts like she does. I always shampoo my carpets when I know they are coming. We have dogs, the carpets get dirty(rainy season) and dog hair is a constant.
    I gave up on spic and span years ago when the kids were young, now I go for non-disease causing and tidy. Clutter, no promises because no matter what I do, there is always clutter.
    Old 09-04-2011, 12:21 PM

No more mother-in-law. Single and proud of it. I remember one time when she came to visit (after I had cleaned and cleaned and cleaned!)and went out to a craft fair. What did she bring me? A wooden cat cutout that said - The cat is the only self-cleaning thing in this house. Yeah - love you too.
    Old 09-04-2011, 12:54 PM

3 Mothers in law, 2 (along with their sons) are deceased. Both of them were AWESOME, it was their husbands I had a bit of trouble with! William's mother is only 10 years older than I am, and what a wonderful woman she is!! I clean when I know she's coming, but I don't think she'd say a word if I didn't.
    Funny how all 3 fathers in law were jerks....and all 3 women are/were terrific!

My own mother? Heh! I didn't clean when she was coming, it gave her something to do and bitch about while she was there! ;) :)