Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fat Quarter Ripe-off >

Fat Quarter Ripe-off

Fat Quarter Ripe-off

Old 09-24-2011, 06:34 AM

Tell the local JoAnn's and email the headquarters also. You may get a better response.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:38 AM

Joanns is very customer oriented but they are run by people and not all people are at the top of the CS game if you don't get help at the store email or write corporate ....
Old 09-24-2011, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by stitchengramie
I just brought 6 fat quarters from the JoAnn's Rustling Leaves Collection. The size stated is 18" x 21". I thought a fat quarter was 18" x 22". I am unhappy with the the size, but I am frustrated with the fact that all 6 fat quarters were cut so crooked, that I had to cut 2" off each one in order to use them.

Should I say something to the store manager at JoAnn's about this?

Crooked fabric cost money and less fabric to use.

Mary/stitchengramie

Yes, say something to the manager, but be sure you have your receipt when you talk to her. They don't like to make things right without a receipt even when they know it came from their store.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:41 AM

I would politely take them back for a refund and let them know that if you decide to buy FQs from them again you will be sure to open each one to inspect it and may not be able to get them folded neatly back, so sorry Ms. Manager.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:48 AM

Yes for sure say something. I just bought quite a few Oriental fabrics from a quilt shop. Got home and was pressing them and I noticed some were 12x22...some were a bit more..and a few were the acutal size..18x22. I could see if this was WM...but a quilt shop???? and these were leading brands of fabric too!!
Old 09-24-2011, 06:52 AM

I would definitely say something. Did you buy them prepackaged at the store, or online. Either way complain. I find myself checking the quality of the fabric more and more at JoAnn's. It seems to be gettilng cheaper. I do like the coupons though. I may have to get the designers lines of fabric more than the regular lines. I'll see. Good luck.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:17 AM

It won't do any good. When they cut the material it is directly off a bolt from the factory. And as we all know the fabric at the factory is wraped on the boards with no thought to the true grain of the fabric. It even happens at quilt stores and online stores. If you wash the fabric before using you know when you go to fold it that you must straighten the grain before use. The pressed and folded line that is on the fabric when you buy it has been washed out. And that's good. It gives you the chance to do the straight of the grain correctly. So forget about complaining as you might end up with something worse.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:20 AM

i dont buy fat quarters at joanns just for that reason
Old 09-24-2011, 07:24 AM

You won't get any satisfaction from the store manager. I would call corporate direct and tell them. Don't get your hopes up, they'll probably tell you they are brought in from the tanker to the warehouse to the store and they have no control over the quality - which is garbage. If they sell it under their name they should have full control.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:34 AM

Think about this: if a piece of fabric is $3.60 per yard (I said IF, ha) You would lost 10 cents on every inch.
If fabric is twice that much, it would be worth 20 cents per
inch. And fabric is even more than that. Whether the shop
chooses to give you an extra inch or so...or whether they short you an inch or so...look at what that amounts to on each piece purchased. We seldom just buy one fabric, right??
I'd speak up. If they are always shorting you, you can almost shop somewhere else cheaper