High Efficiency Washers

Old 07-30-2013, 06:42 AM

I have the Samsung HE washer and dryer on pedestals. I really like the set - especially not having to bend over to put clothes in and out. The storage in the pedestals is nice to have. I also make my own fabric softener and washing detergent so I save a lot of money and it probably actually pays for the w/d by doing that.... We purchased ours from Lowe's 4 years ago when we moved here from TX.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:55 AM

I bought a top loading HE machine by samsung. I try to run the clean cycle every 2 weeks and leave the top open when not in use.

At first I had stinky/sour towels, but now I run with a small amount of bleach, and extra rinse cycle and promptly get in the dryer and all is good.

My sister has a front loader and had problem with stinky clothes and washer. Glad I got a top loader.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cactusmomma View Post
Now I'm impressed oksewglad. Your cows have their own washing machine! :-)
You bet!! Cows get all fluffy and clean and smell soooo good, but only one cow per wash!! Seriously--Just before milking, the cows teats are dipped in a cleansing solution and then wiped clean with a small washcloth size towel. These towels get dirty with sand, dirt and well the other stuff. The barn washer washes about 8-10 of these batches every week. I used to wash them in my front load, but decided the sand was too harsh on my "expensive" machine.
FYI the cows stalls are bedded with sand--very comfy for them as this is a fine sand.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

I have a Kenmore Elite washer and dryer...I love them. It is the best washer I have ever owned..it cleans my clothes better than any other machine I have owned...
Old 07-30-2013, 08:55 AM

BEWARE THE HIGH EFFICIENCY WASHER!!! If you ever want to wash with HOT water again, stay away from these; especially the front loaders. They may have a "HOT" setting, but you will not get hot water. The only way to get really hot water, not the "new, high efficiency" hot (that is to say lukewarm at best) is to disconnect the cold water and wait while a very small trickle of hot water fills the washer. This can take a very long time, depending on how efficient your washer it.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:15 AM

Have the LG washer and dryer, love them! I dye fabric and I got a small Panda washer and a nina spin dryer for the dye studio, works great for me and no worries about dye in the washer in the house.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:20 AM

Oh boy...this is as hot a topic as what kind of vacuum to buy...LOL!!

I LOVE my HE front loader. I have NEVER had any smells or mold....I never wipe any parts, but I leave the door open between loads. I have never had an over sudsing problem. I believe that my clothes are cleaner than with a top loader (The water goes through more changes, it doesn't just get sloshed in the dirty water for the whole wash cycle). And the water/detergent usage is much less than a top loader. It's great for a couple because I don't need to wait for a "Full load", although I usually do. I have far less lint in the dryer, therefore I must assume that the front loader is not as hard on clothes (not wringing them around a post). After all,think about it, lint is your clothes falling apart.

This will be a tough decision because we all know we are right!!!! Good luck deciding.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:48 AM

I have HE front load washer, 6 years now,works great...gets clothes much cleaner than my top
loader did. I think its easier on the clothes and I wash my quilts in it also...Less water, less soap.
Keep the door open, no musty smells....
Old 07-30-2013, 10:16 AM

Some HE Front Loaders will actually heat the water to very hot, so perhaps there is something wrong with yours. How do you know how hot the water is, anyway. The door locks when the washer starts, and all rinses are cold now.
If my HE can get clothes as clean as it does in warm water, all the better!

Originally Posted by llong0233 View Post
BEWARE THE HIGH EFFICIENCY WASHER!!! If you ever want to wash with HOT water again, stay away from these; especially the front loaders. They may have a "HOT" setting, but you will not get hot water. The only way to get really hot water, not the "new, high efficiency" hot (that is to say lukewarm at best) is to disconnect the cold water and wait while a very small trickle of hot water fills the washer. This can take a very long time, depending on how efficient your washer it.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:18 AM

we had a Maytag first (good name, not so good front loader) it mildewed on the front seal and always smelled. it bit the dust. we got a Samsung and are very happy with it, no mildew, cleans well and plays a tune when clothes are done. user friendly!