Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • What Was The First Quilt You Made? >
  • What Was The First Quilt You Made?

• What Was The First Quilt You Made?

Old 09-28-2010, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by EmsMom
    Thank you all so much for sharing your beautiful quilts and stories.

I am completely embarrassed to admit :oops: that I don't know any of the names of the quilts that are mentioned, i.e,. log cabin, etc. I sure hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew!
    Nah. Not when I embroderied my first quilt rather than quilting it. :oops:
    Old 09-28-2010, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by lass
    Originally Posted by EmsMom
    Thank you all so much for sharing your beautiful quilts and stories.

I am completely embarrassed to admit :oops: that I don't know any of the names of the quilts that are mentioned, i.e,. log cabin, etc. I sure hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew!
    Nah. Not when I embroderied my first quilt rather than quilting it. :oops:
    Me either! If you google Quilter's Cache, you will find so many different patterns and you will learn them. It will surprise you, really!~ My first ones were embroidered. My first pieced quilt was called Antique Tile (God help me if I ever forget my first pieced quilt. It was from Quilter's Cache - 12" block. It was squares and rectangles and was so easy and fun and full of color. That was my Memory Quilt. Worked out so perfect. 35 blocks - took me over a year from start to finish, but each little square was picked out and chosen for a particular block. You'll catch on! Don't make a chore out of it. It isn't. It is a time to go into another world for a short time and sort of lose yourself - at least til the phone rings!!!!! Edie
    Old 09-28-2010, 04:12 AM

My first quilt was a string quilt! My Grandmother showed me how to make one block using newspaper for foundation and scraps from our sewing. Over the years I've lost that quilt but not the memories of Grandma and I quilting.
    Old 09-28-2010, 04:13 AM

Mine was a sampler and would you believe that it isn't finished as yet....and that was 27 years ago.

Made 15 different blocks, put them together with sashings, ........and got 9 blocks handquilted......
    and it is rolled up and packed away......out of sight......and am not sure if it will ever be a completed project. The entire quilt is hand sewn.

Can't count how many completed quilts I have made but that one remains in the bag !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Old 09-28-2010, 04:26 AM

My first was a crazy quilt I made for my kids and liked it so much I made another on. I think back now and wonder what ever made me start making a quilt or a crazy quilt for that matter. I must have seen something on tv or something. But I'm glad I did. Now I've gone on to different quilts. None as some of the beautiful quilts I've seen on here, but beautiful to me and my kids. After that, I went on to 9 patch, star blocks and pineapple. With every quilt I learn more and try something just a little bit more complicated, at least for me. I'm teaching myself as I go along, and also with about 100 quilt magazines for instruction.
    Old 09-28-2010, 04:40 AM

I took children's coloring books and transfered Santas on fabric and embroidery them by hand. I was so proud of it I entered it in a show and the judge was not nice about it.
    Scared me and it too years before I would enter anything else and this time will be the third time I've put something in a quilt show.
    Old 09-28-2010, 04:45 AM

I did a double irish chain for my mother's birthday. I bought a book and followed instructions. I bought exactly the amount of fabric that the book called for not realizing how many cutting mistakes I would make. When I started putting the thing together, I found out that it was a lot harder than I thought!
    I needed more of some fabric and less of another. The fabric store didn't have any more and I couldn't find more anywhere! So my quilt was "pieced" together and no longer an irish chain!

But I finished it anyway, gave it to mama and she loved it! I have it today on my bed and I lovingly laugh at it each day as I smooth it down.

I still can't cut worth a dime and still sometimes run out of fabric, but somehow my quilts turn out ok anyway......at least I love making and giving them!

Roxanne
    Old 09-28-2010, 04:50 AM

My first quilt was for my doctor when she was expecting her second baby.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-94064.jpe  
    Old 09-28-2010, 04:51 AM
    Power Poster

My first quilt was a queen size log cabin in pinks and blues. I still use the quilt. I also used Eleanor Burns' Log Cabin in a Day book--great help! Back in the days before rotary cutters!
    Old 09-28-2010, 04:53 AM

IT was a wall hanging of our flag (abstract sort of) with wavy strips. Actually I saw a picture of this flag and decided to try making it. My friend explained the 9 patch and so I sort of modified it to my mind and there it was (after a few ripppppppppppppppppps outs) I wish I know how to forward a picture cause I really am proud of this.