Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you think of this idea for selling fabric? >

What do you think of this idea for selling fabric?

What do you think of this idea for selling fabric?

Old 10-12-2010, 05:56 PM

I would like novelty fabrics, if you have any of them. Either boy or girl.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:09 PM

I would be interested when you are ready. I am looking for pale pinks, blues, greens floral prints (think shabby chic) and white on white.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:20 PM

This is a good idea I think as long as you're specific about the contents & the amount that's in there. Please check your private messages when you have time.

Ms LA
Old 10-12-2010, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by purplemem
I like this idea...the little flat rate envies are $5, would hold 4 yards I bet. $25 each?

Just trying to help...don't know if this is what you are looking for but I know the bigger prices are a deterrent in this economy.
I think you can get 5 yards in a flat rate box
Old 10-12-2010, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Quilting Nana
Originally Posted by purplemem
I like this idea...the little flat rate envies are $5, would hold 4 yards I bet. $25 each?

Just trying to help...don't know if this is what you are looking for but I know the bigger prices are a deterrent in this economy.
I think you can get 5 yards in a flat rate box
I am finding 20-24 yards fits into a med. flat rate. I've got these listed at 50.00 which comes to 2.08-2.50 per yard depending on the yardage. Haven't checked the flat rate envelope but they are awfully flat and don't seem to expand much. I've been able to get 11 fat quarters in a small flat rate box but have to squeeze it tight and tape.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:39 PM

I sold sequined material this way - had heaps of boxes - left overs from stage productions. They went like hot cakes. The value was about 30% off retail price as the fabric was donated to us by the producers and it was a school fund - raiser. I think you would have to make it an attractive price, but don't give it away. Personally, I would not sort out all the colours as every quilt or project looks better with a variety, and it will be less work for you.
Another way would be to tie them into attractive colour packs as they do in quilt shops, with tape tied around the bundle. That way, everyone can see what they are getting before making a purchase. If you are really clever, you could make up a few jelly rolls or charm packs to display the material. It will look more attractive if you have a market stall.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:50 PM

I sent a flt rate box from PA last week and you would be amazed what you can get in it if it is rolled. I bet I had10-12 yards plus 3 large like 10-12" squares --cake squares maybe. so watch out and do not charge too little. These are beautiful MODA for 3.95 yards or so.

Peggy
Old 10-12-2010, 07:55 PM

I can't imagine having a LQS that has fabric for $.00 yard. I checked with mine last week before going to PA(haven't been there in awhile) and they had gone up to $11.95. They can keep it for that. That is here in Houston, too. Most of the other ones are $9.25 to $10.25. That is why it is so much fun to go to Amish country.

Peggy
Old 10-12-2010, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by katied772
In my ongoing effort to clear out all my stash fast, I am considering offering flat rate boxes full of fabric. I really want to avoid photographing but thought I could fill each box with one color or all floral, all fun fabrics, theme, etc. and charge one price for each box. It would be a kinda surprise box. Not sure how to charge for this though. The fabric would be 100% cotton LQS quality only. Any thoughts, ideas here?
Let me know when you are ready. I think a surprise box would be fun. Kinda like Christmas or my birthday, except I am sure to love the gift! I collect B&W, Florals, and Pinks & Greens.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by katied772
Originally Posted by quilterguy27
I think this is a great idea and if I'm not too late I'd be interested in buying fabric sight unseen if I have some control over what I'm getting. I'm looking for rainbow colored fabrics to go with a pattern I'm collecting for to make a rainbow colored quilt. Also, I'm looking for background fabrics, white on white, cream, and black. PM me if you have anything like these you want to stuff in a box for one flat price. Not too much tho, because funds is an issue. Thanks!!!!
I think I emailed you back in July when I first was thinking about selling. See my post just above about a possible sale at my home. Maybe you could come and save on shipping.
Yes, I vaguely remember talking to you about it back then. I'd be interested and a penny saved on postage is a penny I can spend on fabric. Just let me know when. I don't check Craigslist often, but I will try to be more frequent if that's where you're advertising. PM me your address when you're ready and I will come by. Also, a good way to give everyone on here a first hand second opinion as to what you have and that could always help boost sales. :thumbup: :thumbup: