Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
at the risk of being shot down in flames!!! >

at the risk of being shot down in flames!!!

at the risk of being shot down in flames!!!

Old 10-18-2010, 03:46 PM

I have one I am densely quilting and I just found the same thing. 60x80 feels more like a wall hanging. It is the Keepsake Quilting kit" page 22 volume 23sidelights Cranes.

I am quilting every petal through out the entire quilt.It is a stunning quilt.It is a wedding present for my Niece in
Florida.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:54 PM

I too see quilts that are quilted quite a bit closer than I would, but think, well, it's really persoanl preference. Like some of the colors put together, I would never put them together. The reason I like this board is because it exposes me to various ways of doing things, some I never thought of trying, and might now
Old 10-18-2010, 03:59 PM

i am one that usually does what i am in the mood for at the time of the quilting as long as i make the quilt and am happy with it i guess that would be the right way to do it
Old 10-18-2010, 04:02 PM

i like lots of quilting - like they used to do "in the olden days" as one of the kids used to say ;)

It is a good thing there are lots of different ways to do things!!
Old 10-18-2010, 04:10 PM

I tend to buy low loft batting and quilt as the pattern needs.
i do it all by hand, so i tend not to overdo
Old 10-18-2010, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by mayday
I thoroughly enjoy this board and seeing all the wonderful quilts that you display and have so cleverly and expertly pieced, BUT then see that some have been so closely quilted within an inch of their life, surely this defeats the object of making a quilt as all this close stitching [usually maching ] makes the quilt so flat and any loft that it did have is gone and the thing feels much harder and not as comforting ?.
I did put the title as above and do so hope that I have not offended but would like to know the reason please.
Occasionally, I don't think a quilt is made to be used. By that statement, I mean that it is a show - piece to either demonstrate the clever design, piecing or quilting, and is used to hang on a wall or make the bed look nice for 'show' but is not actually used for the purpose of comfort/warmth. To some degree, I think most quilts are made for this decorative purpose.
If we are making a quilt for a 'warmth' or 'cosy' purpose, the closest the quilting needs to be is about a hand's width of distance between each line of stitching ( depending on how dense your batting is). I personally like all of the dense and decorative quilting and always think (rightly or wrongly) that a quilt looks unfinished or that a beginner has done it, if the quilting is not there.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by grannypat7925
The ones with higher loft and softness I think we call comforters. Quilts are not as lofty usually. At least that goes around here.
The loftier batting is generally more difficult to quilt. Therefore, if you are wanting to 'show off' your quilting skills, you would generally choose a thinner batting. The trapunto styled ones just add the extra layers of batting to the trapunto areas to give it the extra 'puff'.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Matilda
Yes I have thought of this too. Also the trend is to have a quilting machine which I don't have nor do I want. Some times I hate to have someone see my quilts because of all the professionalism today. I miss the old days when there are quilting bees and/or hand done or even by a regular home machine that isn't so professional looking--just by plain people.

Originally Posted by mayday
I thoroughly enjoy this board and seeing all the wonderful quilts that you display and have so cleverly and expertly pieced, BUT then see that some have been so closely quilted within an inch of their life, surely this defeats the object of making a quilt as all this close stitching [usually maching ]
makes the quilt so flat and any loft that it did have is gone and the thing feels much harder and not as comforting ?.
I did put the title as above and do so hope that I have not offended but would like to know the reason please.
In one respect, I think the competitiveness or showmanship in some of our crafter's way of thinking is very unfortunate. It intimidates some and puts others off wanting to join what should be a sharing community which helps to foster friendship and growth in the skill. I think there is room for all schools of thought and also room for the practical as well as the showpiece quilt. However, I think that the ones that you will encounter at the exhibitions or contests are going to be the showpiece type. As I mentioned in previous posts,I prefer this type and regard them as works of art.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:40 PM

i am making a wall quilt that is densly quilted and only now realize that my life would have been much easier if i had used thinner thread. that makes all the difference in dense quilting.
malke
sewmaterialistic.biz
Old 10-18-2010, 04:52 PM

I usually tye my baby quilts as I like the soft feeling that comes with tying.