Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
at the risk of being shot down in flames!!! >

at the risk of being shot down in flames!!!

at the risk of being shot down in flames!!!

Old 10-18-2010, 10:54 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
Oh this is funny!! Once my young son said to me "Mom, quilts are cold" !!!
I almost fell over laughing. I explained to him that you usually need more than one to get all snuggly and I gave hime a couple of others.
Most of my quilts are cotton batted, not quilted to death, but not as warm, so we use lots of them :D
I also think if your post offends anyone, they need to get a sense of humor :D:D
I personally find them cold too as do my kids but we live in socal so we do not need that much. We buy a fleece blanket and use that under the quilt in the winter. Interesting to hear other kids also find them cold. I try to use less quilting on quilts that are actually used. Most of the quilts I make fall in that category. I think the closer quilting is a different art and different way some people express themselves. I do not tie often but am rather fund of it and the way it looks.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:38 AM

At the risk of offending more......that's why there are no quilts on my bed. DH has always preferred the light,loft of a comforter & my quilts are done by LA who just does a panto pattern.It holds the quilt together, but isn't very noticeable.
I haven't seen a lot of heavily quilted quilts on here, but to each their own.

Originally Posted by mayday
I thoroughly enjoy this board and seeing all the wonderful quilts that you display and have so cleverly and expertly pieced, BUT then see that some have been so closely quilted within an inch of their life, surely this defeats the object of making a quilt as all this close stitching [usually maching ] makes the quilt so flat and any loft that it did have is gone and the thing feels much harder and not as comforting ?.
I did put the title as above and do so hope that I have not offended but would like to know the reason please.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:46 AM

Well, mayday when I read the title I almost ran to get the fire extinguisher, but alas, no fires needed. Generally these quilts puff up when washed. You are a funny lady.

Hugs

Helen
Old 10-19-2010, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by RugosaB
I too see quilts that are quilted quite a bit closer than I would, but think, well, it's really persoanl preference. Like some of the colors put together, I would never put them together. The reason I like this board is because it exposes me to various ways of doing things, some I never thought of trying, and might now
Yes, that's why I love this board too. It broadens my thought process.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:31 PM

you know I had prefered the more sparse quilting, until I made a quilt that was closely quilted all over. I love it. I love the texture that the quilting gives it. I love the durability that comes fromt he close quilting. Preferences change as we experience new things.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:35 PM
Power Poster

What an interesting thread this has been to read and I would like to commend everyone for being so thoughtful and kind in their responses. It really does boil down to preference doesn't it? I like some areas to be heavily quilted if you want a quilted motif to stand out (like trapunto). I think it looks beautiful but truth be told I don't have a quilt like that because I didn't know how to do it and never had a pieced quilt pattern that seemed to call for that. But I do love to gawk at them! And I am currently working on one that I am doing a pretty small pebbling in the border to make a motif pop. I am liking the look of it. The inside of the quilt is more loosely quilted. Guess I won't know how much I like the drape of it until I get it off the rack.

When it comes to warmth, I have a down comfortor on my bed with a quilt on top :wink:
Old 10-19-2010, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by mayday
I thoroughly enjoy this board and seeing all the wonderful quilts that you display and have so cleverly and expertly pieced, BUT then see that some have been so closely quilted within an inch of their life, surely this defeats the object of making a quilt as all this close stitching [usually maching ] makes the quilt so flat and any loft that it did have is gone and the thing feels much harder and not as comforting ?.
I did put the title as above and do so hope that I have not offended but would like to know the reason please.
no offense here, friend. you have a valid concern. i am not presumpuously responding for all readers but this is my personal view. remember that we use starch for piecing accuracy and then closely stitch when quilting for dimension and strength. hopefully using either wool or warm n natural or some equivalent of batting. usually the first thing i do, even if it is a gift, is to wash on gentle cycle with detergent (for cleansing), vinegar (to set dyes), and little softener. then the quilt will puff and fluff in the dryer. it will then wrap around you like loving arms. totally improves quilt's personality. mom would always hand launder and hang across 2 or 4 lines so the quilt would lie flat and i'll never forget the sunshine aroma or soft touch after it was almost dry and she would use clothes pins to hang it so the winds could fluff it. trust me, the quilt will no longer be flat or stiff. worth a try. you create the quilt but the laundering gives it life. if you try that, you will be amazed at the difference. i always baste a little typed note to the quilt that it has been laundered and ready for use. i notice the first response is they grab the quilt and snuggle it. that makes it all worth while. i hope this has not bored you. it is meant to encourage you. keep quilting....your friend, johnnye
Old 10-20-2010, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Quilter4HireAndFun
When I first started quilting I thought all quilts needed to be 4 or 5 inches high and all puffy looking. Well it was the 70's and that was the still when poly batting was all in the rage.

Now we seem to be in a fashion of flatter, 100% cotton closely quilted, as you stated.

But I say, make whatever makes you happy and there are many great quilts made both ways!

Jan
I agree Jan, make what makes you happy. I like a medium loft batting and one that will let you go out as far as 4-5 inches between stitched. If I am doing art quilts I like to let the quilt beside how much it needs. I do leaves realistically and flowers as well. Usually the flatness is caused by the thread play method.

Another Jan
Old 10-20-2010, 03:37 PM

I love the looks of a machine quilted quilt BUT for my own bed I want high loft and tied. At my quilt guild there was a woman that only tied her quilts. She shared what her Grandmother used to say about machine quilting "Why would you take a beautiful quilt and turn it into a mattress pad" I guess they are pretty similar to the old cotton mattress pads, just prettier fabrics.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:00 AM

Just a quick reply to k9dancer- Thanks so much for the picture on page 6. That hels me a lot and I will try your method one day and let you know how I did.