Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • In a slump!!! How can I get back in the swing of things? >
  • In a slump!!! How can I get back in the swing of things?

• In a slump!!! How can I get back in the swing of things?

Old 11-21-2010, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dwbbie
    Hello:
    I am also in a slump! I have taken a break from all repairs and quilting, now I am on the look out for small or beautiful quick items that I can be inspired by to do for the holidays. Anyone know of anything that will be inspirational for us slumpers? Fast and cute ideas...I'd like to feel inspired by appliqued something or other. Andyone with ideas? Maybe something that I'd be able to do ten minutes a day or see it completed in part at least quickly.
    Thanks!
    I love making potholders. I cut an 8 1/2" square of heat-resistant fabric and add one layer of batting to the back. I put a diagonal line on the heat-resistant fabric and start by putting a 2" strip x WOF in the middle of that line, then add more strips till it is to the edge. I cut around the heat-resistant fabric to get all the extra fabric off, then add backing and binding and it's done in less than an hour. They are always so beautiful when you finish them. You can also do crazy patches. I attached some pictures so you can see what I mean.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-131318.jpe   attachment-131319.jpe   attachment-131320.jpe  
    Old 11-21-2010, 04:58 PM

It happens to all of us. I usually use that time to clean, organize and purge things from my room. That way when I'm in the mood to quilt again, everything is ready and waiting for me. I have even unearthed some great things that have inspired my next project.
    Old 11-21-2010, 05:03 PM

Me? Just got out of the slump. Decided to sort fab on Thanksgiving..no guests so it's my day...and low and behold decided to do something using Drunkards Path block. Dug out my batiks and now realized I need to make two quilts for friends. Just go with the flow. The quilting urge will return. Outside forces do reflect on my quilting.
    Old 11-21-2010, 05:16 PM

I know how you feel I'm in the same mode. It is also called depression, I had alot going on in my life since 07' had a breakdown and other health problems. I started to get feeling alot better after a long while and I started to work on something and then it happened again. I keep trying to get back to working on something but there is still alot going on. keep in touch with your friends and on here and keep your Faith. I will keep you in my Prayers too

Cheryl
    Old 11-21-2010, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by luvrazz
    I am also in a slump, my husband passed away 3 months ago and you would think that I should be quilting, quilting, quilting, because I don't have to stop and make dinner or any other thing that a husband requires but instead I just sit and watch TV. So I have decided to take an applique class the Sunday after Thanksgiving to try to take me out of this slump... Sure hope this works...
    So sorry for your loss of your husband.
    My husband passed away 6 years ago...I had a long slump after that and here and there still go through some times that I just don't feel like sewing...and am in another now as my brother passed away earlier last month...3 months is very recent for you...but hopefully you will come to find that most of the time again quilt can be theraputical. I hope you enjoy your applique class.
    Old 11-21-2010, 05:48 PM

Think of it as a vacation. We can't do anything, if we feel we HAVE to. Take a break. It will be good for you.
    Old 11-21-2010, 06:02 PM

I think we all get that way from time to time. No matter how much we love to do something we need a break once in awhile. Just take a guilt free break & watch the board. You will be inspired soon!
    Old 11-21-2010, 07:40 PM

Hope this is temporary however if it continues or affects other areas of your life see your Doctor. It is easier to treat depression from early stage. Ask me how I know.
    Old 11-21-2010, 07:42 PM

It happens probably to all of us at one time or another. It will be ok and you will get past it.
    Old 11-21-2010, 08:02 PM

It seems quite a few of us go through this. I try to focus on a small project rather than something that I have to concentrate on or a large one. Then like other posters, I will straighten up my craft room and go through and organize and put everything in place. If I still dont feel motivated then I give it a rest. The enthusiasum always come back.