Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Is it crazy to move 2700 miles west just to be warm? >

Is it crazy to move 2700 miles west just to be warm?

Is it crazy to move 2700 miles west just to be warm?

Old 01-18-2011, 04:59 PM

I would do it in a heartbeat! Life is too short!
Old 01-18-2011, 05:43 PM

I travelled a lot with my job and lived overseas whilst doing it as well. I am all for travel and change. However, knowing your age and the present financial climate, I would get the job first and then move - then you know one part of the adventure is secure. You can go through the money very quickly if you get sick and can't find a job. I've been retired 7 years and don't have any of my nest - egg left for those reasons.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:42 PM

If I were you, I'd be checking out all the angles & details, starting immediately. I believe a move to the SW could be perfect for you, but such a tremendous change should not be done in haste; careful research & planning are essential. I repeat, the time to start that is now! Write to Chambers of Commerce in the town(s) you think you might like to move to & get started compiling a fat file of information. Good luck to you!
Old 01-18-2011, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by IBQLTN
Many of us 'over 50' folks are finding it is very difficult to find a job. We're no longer considered valuable.

Perhaps you could take a long vacation and look for work before you move? Just a thought.
That's the truth! Well-said!
Old 01-18-2011, 07:02 PM

liminanc has the right idea, as do others. moved 1300 miles from cold and damp, sold an old POS house that needed constant repairs I could not afford. live in las vegas now with DD, SIL, his older brother, 3-year-old GS, 18 month GD, boston terrorist, 2 chihuahuas, a very old terripoo, a Siamese and 2 ferrets. life is more than hectic, WAY more than crowded even in a big house, and I have a much more intimate understanding of what "on the verge of apoplexy" means but I would not change a thing. go for it... the sacrifices you may have to make are made up by the closeness you gain. good luck.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19
With the exception of 7 years in AZ I've lived in NH / MA for my 52 years of life. I've discovered the last 8 years or so I really, really, hate the winter. I hate the snow, the ice, driving in it, shoveling it, looking at the mounds of dirty snow toward the end of the season, and I'm cold.

I have an old house that seems to regularly need costly repairs which is getting more difficult to manage financially being single. I have a good job with little chance of losing it, but I really don't like it - 30 years doing the same thing has taken its toll.

My son will be going to a 4-year college in VT then his job will bring him to either CA or Europe. My daughter and new grandson want to / will be moving to AZ because she's tired of winter as well.

Would it be crazy for me to sell my house, quit my job, and move to an apartment in sunny AZ and look for a job there, if I have 2 years of cash to hold me over?

Would you do this?

I'll check back later tonight; have to make the hour drive to work.

Thanks. I really need some serious input on this.
I would do it, but I would engage the services of a "headhunter' first to help find a job so you won't have to spend all your savings. It is an expensive world, and I would hate to see you do it, and end up using all your savings, if you don't need to.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:15 PM

Real estate in Arizona is selling so cheap it is unreal. We have friends that are moving there and know another couple that have already moved. In the Phoenix suburbs, the one couple purchased a new home, 3bdrm 2bath for $79,000. The other couple has found a 4 bdrm, 2 bath with in-ground pool plus hot tub for $119,000. I say "go for it".
Old 01-18-2011, 07:18 PM

Heck, no...I don't think that's crazy. For the last 10 winters, I keep saying that I want to move to Florida! And after being there last week, then coming home to 4 inches of snow, I am even more convinced that some place warm is calling my name!
Old 01-18-2011, 07:19 PM

You need to hurry before we run out of room...
Old 01-18-2011, 08:19 PM
Power Poster

No it is not crazy and especially seeing your daughter and family will be there also. Read you quote. Yes you can.