Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Matters of Opinion >

Matters of Opinion

Matters of Opinion

Old 01-24-2011, 08:35 PM

Am making one for my great nephew that will feature a panel of catching a fish - because he loves to fish. I know he will love it.

Your grandson will love the 'ToMater' quilt, guaranteed!
Old 01-24-2011, 09:14 PM

Sorry for her reaction. Panels are great. I like them
because you get characters that look like they should, or scenery, etc, that I, for one would not otherwise have.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:21 PM

I'm sure your grandson loves that quilt! I have been quilting several years now and I had made a small quilt for my mom. It wasn't anything spectacular as I hadn't been quilting all that long at the time. But I gave it to her and she said she really liked it. I told her about some other quilt projects I was hoping to work on, etc. and she made a comment something about,"well how many quilts does anyone really need?" She went on about the expense of the material and finding places to store them, etc. While I know that she didn't mean anything by her comments, it sort of made me feel bad that I would spend my time and money on something that seemed rather insignificant to some people. That comment has always stayed with me. I guess I just assumed that EVERYONE loves quilts! . Thanks for letting me vent...
Old 01-24-2011, 10:23 PM

just do what is in your heart and dont worry about it lol
Old 01-24-2011, 10:54 PM

Sometimes we say the absolute wrong thing to wonderful people. I hope she didn't mean anything negative by it.

I love your description of the blanket (especially the world). It's a very thoughtful gift!
Old 01-24-2011, 11:14 PM

Don't let what was said bother you, later after he suggles, and enjoys the theme, and she has to wash it over and over, may get it. (or not) Important part is that you got what he would like. She may appreciate it more later when he crawls up into her lap and the Quilt has to come too :) so they can both suggle under something made with loving care for there confort. :)
Old 01-24-2011, 11:23 PM

Show her a whole-cloth quilt! A quilt is a layer of batting between two pieces (whole or in parts) of fabric. Did you do a lot of stitiching on the panel? Maybe she's confused about what constitutes a quilt. I have seen many pretty panels, in quilts and on bolts.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:03 AM

That is sad ,used a cute construction vehicle panel for my grandson and he and my daughter were truly grateful.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:20 AM

Let them know that I am 57 years old and the favorite quilt that I made and kept for myself is my Tomater quilt. I love it and take it everywhere with me. I totally believe that it my REAL quilt. Like yours, made with a whole bunch of love and made just for him!
Old 01-25-2011, 04:16 AM

I THINK THERE ARE SO MANY CUTE PANELS FOR QUILTS THAT I KNOW THE KIDS LOVE. MOM SHOULD BE PLEASED THAT YOU TOOK THE TIME TO THINK OF HIS FEELINGS AND LIKES. NOT HERS!