Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts arent appreciated? >

Quilts arent appreciated?

Quilts arent appreciated?

Old 02-08-2011, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by bigsister63
"As a matter of fact I do expect the recipient to jump up and down, and if they don't I snatch up the quilt and bring it back home with me. LMAO"

How sad! Then you are not giving the gift in the right spirit. I am one who jumps up and down when I get a handmade gift. But not all are the same. I quilt because I love the process. I have made quilts for my DG with LOVE and so they can be wrapped in my love to keep them warm. They can treat the quilts as they like because there is always fabric to make more. I also try to make gifts in colors that the person will like so as not to have them say "that is not my color or it doesn't go with my room." Share the spirit.
LOL* Thanks for your pity ;) I'm just a cold hearted quilter that's all.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by momto4
Yes exactly. :)
Ahhh, hugs to you! Lol* So I'm not the only one with a black heart on this board! ROTFL***
Old 02-08-2011, 10:01 AM

I made a beautiful pieced quilt for my new grandson last year. My son and DIL said, "Wow that's really nice".

Then at Christmas I just threw together an already quilted fabric throw for the baby. You know, just had to add the binding. Well - - - they went NUTS over it and use it every single day. My son actually phoned to ask how to wash it because he didn't want to ruin my wonderful "work of art". Ha ha ha - guess I learned a lesson there.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:04 AM

I have an Eskimo friend in White Mountain, AK. One year she got drawn to shoot a buffalo and she did. This buffalo fed most of the town of 200 people. I had a quilt book that had patterns of wild animals of the West. The quilt was put together similar to a jigsaw puzzle. I made the buffalo, lap size, and took it to her when we went fishing up there the following summer. She was so surprized and happy that she showed it every individual in that town, I think. Now THAT'S what I call appreciation!
Old 02-08-2011, 10:14 AM

I have a single daughter who had a golden retriever who was the love of her life. I made a quilt for the dog and she slept with it every nite. She would roll it and dig it until she got it just right and then lay with her head on it. Every a.m. dau would make the dog's bed even tho she never made her own bed. When it was time to take the dog for the "big shot" Mary wrapped her in the quilt and held her until the shot took effect. Still brings tears to my eyes.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:34 AM

Since you can get a quilt for next to nothing at any store, mass produced, in some good patterns, People take them for granted. No people do not appreciate how much one costs to make or how much labor is involved. You can get a cheap quilt at Walmart for pity sake.
I had a fried see the quilt I made my daughter and she said she wanted one for her daughter, she would buy the materials. Told her I had $125 tied up into it, and she said nevermind. She can buy a comforter for a fraction of that.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:46 AM

I have a nephew that loves it when I give him a quilt. He really uses them. His children also have their own quilts that they love. Other family members just don;t really appreciate how much times goes into the quilts.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:49 AM

Very sad. I gave all of our five children a quilt this past Christmas. Two were very special to me. One was the last one my Grandmother started before she went blind and an other one I had worked on for 8 years (applique). My husband is my greatest fan. He always tells them how much time, energy and money goes into each quilt. He also convinced me to enter the State Fair and I did get a couple ribbons. So, my thought is you need to be picky about who you give to or what cause you donate for.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:53 AM

I hand piece and hand quilt so when anyone, family or friend, says they would like me to make one I tell them up front it will cost them. I give them a fair price and ask if they really want it to put a down payment up front for materials. I learned the hard way to be firm about this.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by MaryStoaks
My family loves their quilts but they think I whip them up at the drop of a hat (and free!).
This is the problem I am facing - 2 family members keep saying "where is my quilt?". Last time I said "where is the money to pay for it?" Haven't heard another word.... LOL :)