Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2023 - Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" squares) >

2023 - Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" squares)

2023 - Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" squares)

Old 07-03-2023, 02:19 AM

Oh, goodness, happylab. Missed that because I was buried under a pile of UFOs! Tee-Hee-Hee. Actually, I was finishing some works in progress. Got two out of the way! and made minor progress on several others including my Christmas Cross 2.5. Hope you made progress on your UFOs or perhaps you are one of those wonder quilters who does not have any.
Old 07-03-2023, 09:26 AM
Power Poster

Love your quilt-in-progress, Pet! The blue theme is so pretty and I love the neutral sashing. What a great idea!
Old 07-03-2023, 03:57 PM

While working on this quilt, I’ve encountered some challenges. All the candies with pinked (zig-zag) edges had to be measured to determine where the 2.5 inch line is. Aren’t jelly rolls cut with pinked edges? Are all precuts with pinked edges?
Old 07-03-2023, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
While working on this quilt, I’ve encountered some challenges. All the candies with pinked (zig-zag) edges had to be measured to determine where the 2.5 inch line is. Aren’t jelly rolls cut with pinked edges? Are all precuts with pinked edges?
Nope, it all depends on the company packaging the pre-cuts .Most of the brands we commonly see do have pinked edge at least those in my cupboard do anyway. I also have some pre-cuts that are straight edge but they are "off brands" or pre-cut by the LQS where I purchased them up.

Pat Sloan made me laugh a couple of months ago because she demonstrated how to use one of those roller thing-a-ma-bobs on the edge of her jelly roll before she unwound it. It helped a little but she still had lots of little bits and bobs all over her table. I just vacuum the area. It probably needed it any way.
Old 07-05-2023, 09:05 AM

Good morning everyone! well I survived the 4 hours of fireworks (which I greatly enjoyed), and 6 hours of thunderstorms which started after the fireworks. I guess Mother Nature wanted to celebrate 4th of July too. 😊.

I wanted to pass along a QAL using 9-patches. I’m not sure what size block. But mine are going to be 6.5” block. I will just alter the pattern a little if 2.5” blocks aren’t used. The site is Debbie at Piecing the Past. The free weekly QAL is called “Grandma’s Scrap Basket.” Did I say the pattern is free? Yes it is, and all you need to do is sign up and get the instructions weekly. It starts August 7, 2023. I’m also thinking of doing mine using birthday candy in batiks or fabric lines close th Kansas troubles that I received over the years. Divide the blocks into the color category of each color. Then it will be really scrappy. I like this layout. Thought it could be a fun QAL for some of us. If nothing else save the pattern each week for the future list.

later this week Pat Sloan starts her 4 week mystery QAL, called “Evergreen”, mystery. It’s her Christmas in July project.

Well that’s all of my commercials for this week. No I don’t get a kick back, I just like to follow these 2 sites for free pattern ideas. Happy sewing everyone. Coffee break is over.
Old 07-05-2023, 12:09 PM

Update on saga with pinked edges. Thanks for giving the opportunity to work with these mystery sized objects. After ripping seams to get them to match, I’ve gotten totally frustrated. My standard has become, “forget matching. Just get it done and put it behind me.”

I’m convinced I’ll never choose to work with them again.
Old 07-05-2023, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
Update on saga with pinked edges. Thanks for giving the opportunity to work with these mystery sized objects. After ripping seams to get them to match, I’ve gotten totally frustrated. My standard has become, “forget matching. Just get it done and put it behind me.”

I’m convinced I’ll never choose to work with them again.
I trim the tops of the zig-zags off to find the accurate 2.5" border. It's extra work, but the only way I've found to make them match.
Old 07-05-2023, 04:16 PM

HL, I follow those two also along with a few others. I just can't take on another sew-a-long right now, but I will keep the patterns and directions and perhaps do them later. I have a graduation quilt to make this month for someone who graduated in June. Yikes!!
Old 07-06-2023, 04:52 AM

Happylab - I do love your commercials! Good stuff in there.

I hope everyone has a very productive month with their quilting this July. I am still preoccupied with family issues and do not see any calm time for a while so no 2.5 day finishes for me this month. But everything you all are posting is beautiful! Thank you for the eye candy.
Old 07-08-2023, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

Hey everyone, this swap has me intrigued. I spoke with WMUTeach and SBG to join next year. I love 2.5 inch blocks! I recently finished one that was one of my mindless projects to do when I just wanted to sew and not think!
My youngest son loved it so now it's with him. He's thrilled with it.
Attached Thumbnails img_7188.jpg