Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2023 - Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" squares) >

2023 - Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" squares)

2023 - Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" squares)

Old 06-24-2023, 05:34 PM

A busy day tomorrow so I am posting my 2.5 progress tonight. Three or maybe four more rows to go. I did have to dive into my holiday fabric to make some additional little squares, particularly those with lighter backgrounds. But that is what the fabric is there for....to use. Right?

Remember 2.5 day is not a push to be finished but rather an opportunity to show your progress. Hope to see some examples of how your have been putting your 2.5s to work.

I will pop in tomorrow evening to see what y'all have been up to!
Attached Thumbnails 2023-06-24-christmas-crosses-june-25-progress.jpg  

Last edited by WMUTeach; 06-24-2023 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-25-2023, 05:53 AM

WMUT that is coming along beautifully - I just say an add for Christmas kits so it is time!
Last month I showed the candie patches and panels. I agreed with the suggested barn red and/or wood sashing. But alas when we got back to sons house and I put them up on wall it didn't work. Matched but no pizzaz. so I searched my other minimal stash and the blue made it all pop. Used the barn red that didn't work as sashing for cornerstones. I am happy with top and will make a nice lap quilt.
Attached Thumbnails img_1381.jpg  
Old 06-25-2023, 06:04 AM

Gorgeous with the blue, TravelingGramma! WMUTeach you are such a motivator. I have nothing to show, however. I promise to show and tell when I have gotten something done. Happy 2.5 day!
Old 06-25-2023, 08:12 AM

Default Indian Corn

Here is an 18" x 18" quilt that I finished yesterday I named Indian Corn. I'm going to enter it into the State Fair of Virginia Barn Quilt contest.

Each kernel of corn is one-inch finished. I used some of my non-birthday candies to make some of the colors. I wanted to have repeats in this design. I always cut up my leftover fabric into 2.5" squares so that stash has a bunch of repeats of the same fabric.
Attached Thumbnails indian-corn.jpg  
Old 06-25-2023, 09:22 AM

Default My input for the 25th!

How are my quilt photos related to our 2.5 swap you ask? I made this quilt from all the scraps I had left after cutting my 2.5 candies over several years. It took me a year to make the 196 blocks, put them together, have it quilted, and finish the binding. It is 100 inches square and I found a great wide backing for it. 2,554 pieces in all.
I have started a new project which is made with 2.5 candies-more on that next month!

Gaijin
Attached Thumbnails img_1131-copy.jpg   img_1132.jpg   img_1133.jpg  
Old 06-25-2023, 09:39 AM

That's beautiful Gaijin! I love all the pretty colors.
Old 06-25-2023, 09:44 AM

Gajin I love that spiral backing. Used it as well as other colors! And all logs and pieces. Oh my! Love it sll
Old 06-25-2023, 04:00 PM

I’ll try to get some pics up tomorrow; I have a couple of projects in progress!
Old 06-25-2023, 04:34 PM

Viva 2.5 day! I like the adjustments you made, TG. Your quilt looks good to date. Good instincts. JENER8R, your candy corn is lovely and the flange binding is perfect picking up the yellow of the corn leaves. Good luck at the fair! Gaijin your log cabin of wee little pieces is impressive. I am jealous of those of you who have the patience to make such small and fiddly blocks. Quossum, I am looking forward to a peak at your WIP tomorrow.

My busy day was a wee bit less busy than planned because an outside concert was rained out! Yeah, we are desperate for rain here in the mitten state. Tomorrow I plan to quilt an isolette cover for the local NICU while watching showers fill up the dry marshland behind my condo.
Old 06-26-2023, 05:00 AM

During my Monday morning internet wander, I came upon this old video from "Karen Brown, Just Get It Done Quilts" about using scraps and it features 2.5" scraps and strips. Nothing astoundingly new but good reminders of some simple blocks that can be made with 2.5s and their friends 5" squares.. Enjoy and perhaps be motivated to use your sweet little squares in a new quilt or two or three. Here is the link to some old "new" ideas using our stash of 2.5s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an1L...60RxjomhYWiPGE