Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
2023 - Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" squares) >

2023 - Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" squares)

2023 - Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" squares)

Old 08-04-2023, 04:43 PM

LAF I have no hope that my original treasures will make it on time. Tomorrow I will mail off another set that I hope will get there by your birthday. If the original batch makes it to you, then you'll have two sets and that's ok with me.

With regards to the quilts, I have given those to my cousins. We share the same grandmothers and they did not have any of their quilts. My brother got one, too. That picture is attached. I don't know how everyone did not already have a quilt. I am determined to document all my great-grandmother's quilts. My great aunt passed her half of her mother's quilts to her daughter and my cousin (once removed) says she still has a closetful. I will be taking a trip to see what she has one day. I had a Grandmother's fan quilt that I grew up with from the great grandparent's efforts and it is tattered with love. I am slowly tracking down appropriate fabrics to repair it. I loved seeing some of my tattered fabrics in brilliant color. They really were stored well and now my generation can enjoy them.
Attached Thumbnails six-pointed-star-quilt.jpg  
Old 08-04-2023, 04:50 PM

Just in case you're interested, signups are open for the next Boomerang, BOOM 30! You get to practice making 12.5" unfinished blocks using a fat eighth from everyone in the BOOM. Your imagination gets to go wild while you practice new blocks or create a block you really love to make. Piecers choice. Boom 30 - Sign-ups open thru August 12

BOOM 29 has a great picture gallery if you have never seen what folks have done: https://boomerangswaps.weebly.com/
Old 08-05-2023, 01:32 PM

Received two more : happylab and Crispy frog

My GD practiced her straight stitching and we made a small window treatment! Very proud of it! After going back and forth she agreed with me that quilting is not our favorite part but really makes each square stand out!
Attached Thumbnails aug23.jpg  
Old 08-05-2023, 02:07 PM
Power Poster

Great job teaching the next generation to fall in love with quilting, travelinggramma! The window treatment is very pretty.
Old 08-05-2023, 04:13 PM

It’s exciting when we can share our love of quilting with others, especially with family. It wonderful you had that experience, TG.

Ibex94, thank you for posting pix of the vintage quilts. They are wonderful pieces of your history.

My apologies that I’ve been a bit absent these last couple of months. I’ve been busy with all sorts of things but I’m hoping that I’ll be sticking closer to home and getting some Ufos done. Just started putting a sampler quilt together tonight, or rather began QAYG quilting it. I always hate the prep part (cutting batting and backings) but love the block quilting and the way it comes together so fast.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
Old 08-05-2023, 04:49 PM

TG -- that is a great quilt! Kudos to you and your granddaughter!!
Old 08-06-2023, 08:30 AM

Good Sunday afternoon every one. I have been away to help my daughter move. Such an enormous project. Glad I could come and help out even it the hours were long and the work was hard. It is just what moms do!. Today is sit and rest my feet and brain day. No decision making for me. Ok, maybe the decision to nap at 1:00 or nap at 2:00 I could handle.

Ibex how precious it is to have you family quilting history under your fingers. My mother was not a quilter nor her mom. They were hard working women and could use sewing machines and made garments. My grandmother actually worked for the owners of a HUGE farm outside of Chicago as the family seamstress when she came to the US as an immigrant. She married the farm manager. How scandalous! My other family were all highly educated, but dirt poor farmers. My grandmother and many of her family completed their college education and became teachers, but had to farm also to feed their family. She did make quilts but none were preserved or honored just used until they were shreds. There is one quilt left that in very poor condition it is being saved but it is simple utility quilt. After all that chatter. Ibex hold these family gems dearly and cherish them. You are very fortunate to have them. So glad you have other family members who also want them too.

Leading the next generation into quilting is a gift that may not be appreciated until the future but what fun to sit with a granddaughter and pass on your skills and "quilt talk". Keep going TG.

I took some sit down time to update our August swapping and it is looking good. Just a few yet to arrive for each of our swappers. Yah! Now it is time to make that nap time decision and hopefully to wake refreshed and ready to do the hand binding on a quilt this evening. Lovely to read all of quilting chatter and encouragement.
Old 08-06-2023, 03:22 PM

Default Scrappy Sue

I just finished Scrappy Sue. She is going to be entered into the State Fair of Virginia Quilt Show. It's going into the "Crib or other small bed quilt, smaller than twin bed size" category.

I had lots of tension issues with the quilting so I'm releaved that this is finished. Fighting tension just isn't the fun part... at all!

Oh and WMUTeach, there are 164 candies in this quilt.
Attached Thumbnails scrappy-sue-1.jpg   scrappy-sue-2.jpg  
Old 08-06-2023, 04:22 PM

JENNR8R, what a sweet quilt, Your use of candies makes me smile and the little sunbonnet girls are a pleasant reminder of the past updated for the present. Finders crossed for a ribbon and recognition of your beautiful quilting skills.
Old 08-06-2023, 05:17 PM

Jennr8r-- absolutely great! A ribbon winner f'sure. That quilting on there is so carefully planned and varied. Wow!! Sunbonnet Sue is one of my favorite themes. I like the way you used candies to focus the attention on these little ladies! Great job!