Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Weekend sewing plans?? >

Weekend sewing plans??

Weekend sewing plans??

Old 02-19-2011, 06:04 PM

I'm spending my weekend working on a quilt for a teacher that works for the same school district I work for. I don't really know her, but she is just 29 years old and was just diagnosed with breast cancer. She underwent a radical mastectomy and will have to have both radiation and chemotherapy. I cut squares for her students and fellow teachers to sign with fabric markers and then sewing them into a D9P for the front. For the back I am making blocks made of strips and sewing four together and then cutting a large heart out of them to applique onto the back of the quilt.

I admire all of you for your donations to the various programs you support. I am hoping to get involved with a group that donates quilts, but as a new quilter I have not found a group I can join yet. Hope all of us have very productive weekends.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:22 PM

Hi! I have made blankets for Linus Project but have never done it in a group as you will be doing. I think it is great. Wish I could join you. Have a great and resourceful day!
Old 02-19-2011, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by patchsamkim
I will be going to a Project Linus sewing day tomorrow...9-3...I have done it for the last 2 years and really enjoy going...it is not only for people where I work, but sponsored partly by the company I work for and they usually have over 200 people, lots of quilts get finished over the day, and I will try to report just how many in the next day or two.

Anyone else go to Project Linus work days?
I do quilts for my local PL group, but I don't know if they have work days....such a great organization.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:00 PM

I went to the Project Linus workday today! We probably said "hi" to each other. I heard the total was 627 for the day. Pretty awesome quilts. It's always amazing all the different designs. I love going to blanket day for the inspiration!
Old 02-19-2011, 08:16 PM

I hope to be doing some quilting this sunday, I need to finish 2 baby quilts this month. My UFO's for february.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:27 PM
Power Poster

Sounds like great fun. I just finished loading quilt on frame. First time, wow not as easy as it looks. Tomorrow I am going to try new viking 18x8 and Qbot. Having never quilted before this should be a real feat!!!!
Old 02-19-2011, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Izaquilter
Just started hand quilting DH's double wedding ring quilt. This quilt is already an antique & it's not even quilted! I think I started this one 9 yrs ago & have put it off & put it off till I can't put it off any more. Bit the bullet today & went in there & put it in the frame & started hand quilting it. He should have it by our 40th wedding anniversary! (been married 37 yrs now) :o}
Good for you - we will root for you to get it finished before the 40th. Go for it girl and stay with it. Hugs.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:47 PM

I am changing out the fabric in my six kitchen chairs tomorrow! Oh, I have wanted to do that for some time! Hurray!
Old 02-19-2011, 09:36 PM

I just finished 2 QUILTS FOR KIDS and hope to finish the top for a baby of friends. Love to do baby quilts.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:55 PM

I don't go to Project Linus workdays--because I need to work when I feel well enough to work. So, when I make quilts like these, or any others, it might be in the middle of the night, or at 10 am, or 3:30 pm or ??? I can't usually work on anything for any length of time either--BUT I do love to help by making these worthwhile quilts!
As far as weekend sewing plans, I am working on stitching down a binding on a quilt that my DM made for my aunt, who is terminally ill. After I get the binding done, I will make a label so we can take the quilt to present to my aunt on Thursday.