Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When is a stash TOO BIG?? >

When is a stash TOO BIG??

When is a stash TOO BIG??

Old 03-01-2011, 05:55 PM

I guess it depends on the individual. I have lots, to some persons way of thinking but I always need more for a certain project. I guess as long as I keep it confined to my sewing room I won't consider mine too much.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
Originally Posted by Pamela Artman
I have two tall bookcases, each shelf filled with piles of fabric, plus 9 drawers of scraps, a wall shelf of fat quarters, and a tall narrow set of shelves that hold all my tapestry fabrics for purses and totes. I don't buy much fabric anymore because I feel I have a good size stash, but at times, I think there are still spaces in my shelves that could be filled and a couple colors that I could use more of. I've vowed not to outgrow my shelves! Recently, I've started to ask myself when is a stash too big? I have been organizing an older friend's sewing room and sorting and folding her fabric. I've been working at it 3-4 hours every week or two for almost a year. She has soooooo much fabric, boxes and boxes and shelves and shelves and piles and piles - so much you can hardly walk in her sewing room. As I fold fabric and arrange on shelves by color, I start thinking I'm getting close to being done and suddenly there appears more boxes of fabric! I spent the night with her a few months ago and saw even more boxes of fabric in her guest room. I've seen some boxes in her bedroom too, and in the upstairs hallway and a second storage room upstairs. I separate her fabric into yardage, fat quarters and scraps (less than 1/4 yard). So far, I've filled 2 and a half huge boxes with scraps, a box with fat quarters, and two walls of floor to ceiling shelves with folded fabrics. Many of her fabrics are 10 yard pieces. She has many fabrics that are "vintage", thin, or just plain ugly. She is 84 and of course will never use even 1% of her fabric before she dies. And still, she buys more. She has 2 shelves, (8 piles) of white and cream background fabrics, mostly in 10 yard pieces. I just laugh and shake my head sometimes... she is a true hoarder! I look at my stash and ask myself, am I becoming the same way? When is a stash a good size, usable, valuable, and has hopes of being put to use in my lifetime, and when does a stash get too big and wasteful?
I think I would gently point out to your 80+ year old friend that she could have you sell some of the excess here, and she could take the vacation of a lifetime. Or leave a gift to someone, or even buy more new. Once it starts to change, she may find inspiration to gift some to charities in her will. JMHO (I would hate to see it become "something to be gotten rid of" later) She must be devoted to her art.
I agree with the sale or gifting. AND I believe it would be great if she could "gift" to a guild or senior center or some organization making quilts for a cause. I also realize she needs to be approached with love and gentleness. I am sure you would as you have shown you are a true loving friend.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:03 PM

Your friend is part of that depresion era also, they are hoarders of what ever. We had a next door nieghbor that kept plastic lids and containers. Her house was full of them.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:04 PM

My MIL just passed away... She was a lifetime crafter - and I just brought home 8 more BIG boxes of fabric. Plus another sewing machine, more sewing patterns, scissors, tools, accessories, needles, thread, zippers, buttons, ribbon, etc etc etc. I officially have too much... Most of hers is sewing not quilting fabric so I hope to be able to sort, sell or gift at least half in the next few months. I need to reassess my own stash as well and make room for the new materials and things.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:08 PM

It is totally a personal choice what the stash limit is. I generally don't have much more than is needed for the project at hand and would feel overwhelmed with much beyond that.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Pamela Artman
I have two tall bookcases, each shelf filled with piles of fabric, plus 9 drawers of scraps, a wall shelf of fat quarters, and a tall narrow set of shelves that hold all my tapestry fabrics for purses and totes. I don't buy much fabric anymore because I feel I have a good size stash, but at times, I think there are still spaces in my shelves that could be filled and a couple colors that I could use more of. I've vowed not to outgrow my shelves! Recently, I've started to ask myself when is a stash too big? I have been organizing an older friend's sewing room and sorting and folding her fabric. I've been working at it 3-4 hours every week or two for almost a year. She has soooooo much fabric, boxes and boxes and shelves and shelves and piles and piles - so much you can hardly walk in her sewing room. As I fold fabric and arrange on shelves by color, I start thinking I'm getting close to being done and suddenly there appears more boxes of fabric! I spent the night with her a few months ago and saw even more boxes of fabric in her guest room. I've seen some boxes in her bedroom too, and in the upstairs hallway and a second storage room upstairs. I separate her fabric into yardage, fat quarters and scraps (less than 1/4 yard). So far, I've filled 2 and a half huge boxes with scraps, a box with fat quarters, and two walls of floor to ceiling shelves with folded fabrics. Many of her fabrics are 10 yard pieces. She has many fabrics that are "vintage", thin, or just plain ugly. She is 84 and of course will never use even 1% of her fabric before she dies. And still, she buys more. She has 2 shelves, (8 piles) of white and cream background fabrics, mostly in 10 yard pieces. I just laugh and shake my head sometimes... she is a true hoarder! I look at my stash and ask myself, am I becoming the same way? When is a stash a good size, usable, valuable, and has hopes of being put to use in my lifetime, and when does a stash get too big and wasteful?
Be prepared to own her stash some day. She may just decide to leave it all to you since you're being so helpful organizing it for her.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:25 PM

Oh honey, you are confused. The words "too big" and "stash" NEVER is to be used in the same sentence... Except if the word "Never" is inserted between... I don't make the rules....
Old 03-01-2011, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
For me it is when I start feeling overwhelmed, when I no longer feel joy when I see it, when I no longer play with it, can't find anything, spend money I do not have, when I can't work in my studio because of all the stuff. I agree and think it is different for everyone. Two shelf units would be oodles of fun for me but your friends house would scare me. I do not think it has anything to do with if you ever use it or not.
i think you're exactly right.. i have a 6' long x 4' high shelf/cabinet thing my dh made frm mdf for my dd barbie house.. my mom made full rooms out of plastic canvas, including the walls, floors furniture etc. she made 4 full sets, one for each granddaughter. my nieces were older than my youngest dd, and mom said they played with the rooms so much that the walls wouldn't stay upright anymore... so he built a cabinet / shelf thing to fit the rooms in

after dd got older & didn't play with it anymore, i went to uhaul, got some of the huge boxes & paper & we packed all the rooms away until she has a dd... i comandeered the cabinet...i have a few clear plastic shoeboxes w/different color scraps but if the stash outgrows that, i'm not comfortable anymore.. just seems to be too much $$ tied up & then can't buy the fabric i really want for a particular project if my quilting budget is gone...
Old 03-01-2011, 06:45 PM

oops, should have made that more clear, if the stash outgrows the cabinet, not the shoeboxes!
Old 03-01-2011, 06:58 PM

Wow that is a lot of fabric.