Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone else have this problem? >

Does anyone else have this problem?

Does anyone else have this problem?

Old 09-02-2011, 11:17 AM
QM
Power Poster

My friend at the LQS says, "perfection is highly overrated. Several years ago I went to an exhibit of marvelous quilts by professionals. I noticed a flaw in one that would have driven me crazy. Then I went back looking for flaws. All of them had flaws. I went away inspired by their greatness but also feeling better about my own imperfections.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:22 AM
Power Poster

If you do the best you can then that is something to be proud of. Honestly, I cannot believe that you are not getting any better. I think you are being too hard on yourself.

One recommendation I can make is DON'T compare your work to other's work. Be happy in what you create.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:26 AM

HI Margie,
When I look at others quilts I feel the same way. We are such harsh critics of ourselves. Feel happy doing it? Others like it. Just love what you do and what you are able to do. There are many like us. ;-)
Old 09-02-2011, 11:55 AM

You are so right, or should I say "sew right"! No one but a judge looks at all the tiny mistakes. Everyone else just sees the over all effect of the quilt....color, design, pattern......so many things go into the end result. All my non-quilting friends think I'm a quilting genius.....so, I've finally stopped pointing out the tiny mistakes and just let them think that. I enjoy what I do....even with all the mix-ups and errors. I make things that interest me and don't worry about anything else.

Originally Posted by annesthreads
I went to an exhibition of antique quilts at the Quilt Museum in York (UK). I noticed that many of them had points that were not only imperfect, but often WAY out. Or the quilting was wobbly. Or the blocks weren't placed regularly. Or, or or... And every single one of them was being honoured by being on display and was beautiful. That was when I decided to stop comparing my work with some imaginary perfection, to just enjoy making them and be proud of myself for what I CAN do, rather than be angry or sad about what is beyond me. Eight years ago I'd spent nearly 50 years believing that I was totally useless at sewing or anything to do with crafts or art - now I make quilts that bring pleasure to me and to others. That's enough.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey
Take it easy on yourself and find the level of quilting you are most comfortable with and enjoy yourself.

I found that I became stressed trying to make every quilt different from the last one, perfect seams, quilting, etc. until I realized I'm never going to be a great piecer or quilter. Now I aim to make as many quilts as I can for family, friends and charities. I have often challenged myself by trying new patterns and blocks, even curves and the dreaded Y seams, but D9P, 9 patch with snow balls, Chinese coins, pinwheels, stars and string blocks are my favorites. They are quick to do and by varying fabrics, colors and combination of blocks they each look different. So far none one has complained so I must be on the right track.
My sentiments also. I only do the "easy" ones. I know I'm never going to be a "show" quilter and I quilt for the love of it. so far anyone I have given a quilt to has been very happy with my quick and easy patterns. Makes me happy!!
Old 09-02-2011, 12:07 PM

I think that anyone who sews (regardless of what it is) sees their own mistakes and maybe no one else sees them at all. Keep on trying and don't give up. I'm sure you're doing a better job than you think you are and only you are seeing what you consider your mistakes. As I always say, "if anyone has to get so close to see the mistake, then they ought to have their nose snipped off".
Old 09-02-2011, 12:19 PM

Some women are just more gifted w/ the art of quilting so I just show mine to those that are worse than I am!! JUST KIDDING!!!!!!
Old 09-02-2011, 12:19 PM

Some women are just more gifted w/ the art of quilting so I just show mine to those that are worse than I am!! JUST KIDDING!!!!!!
Old 09-02-2011, 01:11 PM

I don't quilt for money or glory (the blue ribbon). I quilt because I love to quilt and I love to give them away. Everyone who has received my quilts has used them and loved them. Every time I start a new one someone - everyone! - in the family asks "Is that for me?" That's all that matters to me. Relax and enjoy yourself!
Old 09-02-2011, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I learned not to compare my quilts to others or I would give on quilting. I love quilting, I have my own style and I love my finished quilts so that's all that matters to me.
Well said! I am the same.