Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • RECENTLY LOCKED USERS (UPDATED) >
  • RECENTLY LOCKED USERS (UPDATED)

• RECENTLY LOCKED USERS (UPDATED)

Old 01-22-2009, 08:34 PM

A flower for all of your hard work. It's most appreciated. I can add nothing new to what's already been said. Just "Thank you!"

Thank you!
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]23531[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-23531.jpe  
    Old 01-24-2009, 06:50 AM

In pondering this further, is it possible that those banned made the deletions because they felt a strong need to protect their photos--or whatever it is they deleted? When I read the post about copyright, my first instinct was to delete any photos I felt were good enough to sell some day--ones I wanted to protect from any loss of copyright possibilities. And since the wording is changed now--wouldn't that solve the deleting issue? :?:

Yes--the deletions caused some interruptions in conversations, however, as a photographer, I can 100% understand why the deletions were made--based on the wording of the policy.

It's a fine line to want to share what one considers a "great shot" (none of mine are quilt related, yet) but to be nervous to display it anywhere on any site for fear of others using the photo--not an administrator necessarily (they are way too busy :wink: ), any forum member or one wandering onto the site can get it, copy it, use it. Folks use them for wallpaper...projects... etc.

Now that a change has been made--I wonder if everything can start anew with everybody back?

Or maybe there's something I don't know--information I'm missing that makes that awkward?

Just a thought. Just trying to sort it all out from this end.

Thanks for listening.

PS Yvonne--that photo makes my eyes open in awe. :shock: :D
    Old 01-24-2009, 07:16 AM

I would suggest that if you want to share pictures that you might sell in the future, put a water mark on them. Or put them up in a low dbi (50 dbi, no more than 72 dbi) and make the picture small, 2.5X3.5 inches for example.

My husband is a photographer and that's what he does with his shots he has on his website. There are ways to protect pictures that you want to share, but don't want anyone saving. :)
    Old 01-24-2009, 08:27 AM
    Administrator

When I read the post about copyright, my first instinct was to delete any photos I felt were good enough to sell some day--ones I wanted to protect from any loss of copyright possibilities.
    It would be better simply to contact the administration directly and privately to resolve any of the concerns.

A legal matter should be decided calmly and privately, not by trying to stir up trouble in public. Such approach never ends well. Not on a message board, and not anywhere else. We are all adults here, and should understand that.

Which leads me to believe that the people who started it, didn't really care about the issue as much as they wanted to cause trouble and have some "fun", either out of spite or just by character.

It's unfortunate that some other members gave into the fear mongering spread by a couple of users here. And instead of waiting for my response, they proceeded disrupting the board.

Yes--the deletions caused some interruptions in conversations
    Over 2,000 posts were lost in total because of the topics that ended up with "deleted" all over them.

Let's put this into perspective. With 15 posts per page, that's at least 133 pages on this website that were basically defaced.

And keep in mind, 90% of so of the posts that I had to remove were other people's posts. They belonged to the topics that had been turned into nonsense by such actions. This is the main issue here.

I don't know of any other community website out there that would let a group of people organize a disruption and then get away with it as if nothing happened.

Now that a change has been made--I wonder if everything can start anew with everybody back?
    I'm looking into it. Some users will be let back in if they want to. But not all of them.
    Old 01-24-2009, 08:31 AM
    Power Poster

Well said!
    Old 01-24-2009, 08:33 AM

WELL SAID :!:
    Old 01-24-2009, 08:57 AM

It would be better simply to contact the administration directly and privately to resolve any of the concerns.
    I considered that, but I felt a need to hear from the members as well...

sorry.
    Old 01-24-2009, 09:43 AM
    Administrator

i would sentence you to 30 lashes with a wet noodle, but i already ate the soup for lunch and don't want to make more today. 8)
    Old 01-24-2009, 09:57 AM

Which leads me to believe that the people who started it, didn't really care about the issue as much as they wanted to cause trouble and have some "fun", either out of spite or just by character.
    I'm a naive, Polly Anna, optimistic soul--but I read the post and never felt, never saw that. Just my opinion.

I understand an admin has to do what an admin has to do.
    Old 01-24-2009, 10:10 AM

Anything you put on the internet is fair game. Don't post anything that you don't want people copying. I think there will be enough to look at. This way this doesn't happen... :roll: :roll:

I just want to add I did not see or read any of it. I was not here and don't know who all the people were....just know this makes it bad for the nice majority