High Efficiency Washers

Old 07-30-2013, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I hope they still make top loading ones when I need to replace mine. I like being able to wash a quilt in mine with lots of water. The drawbacks I have heard for front loaders are: small things get sucked into the pumps, mold can grow at the doors and there have been reports of children crawling into them.
I have a stacking washer/dryer--Frigidaire. Have had them about 10 years. One of the things I don't like is there is no pause--to add or take out things. If you do stacking make sure you check that the washer does have a pause option. I do miss my top-loading just or that reason.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:02 PM
RJ

I just recently got rid of my front loader---hated the smell---no matter what I did---and hated that I could not add things after the machine started----We were in Sears a few weeks ago and saw a set-Kenmore Connect--GREAT sale---top loader high effenciency---I LOVE LOVE it----no agitator so I could wash my king size comforter with no problem. It puts the correct amount of water in according to how much you put in----and I can put in a LOT!! I am usually hunting for things to put in to make a decent size load....
Old 07-30-2013, 01:06 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
i have a top loading HE.
i do not like it, sam I am.
i'd rather eat green eggs and ham.

i can't control the water level.
it does not get clothes as clean as the old washer did.

still ... it's better than rocks at the river. LOL
**Ditto on this!!
Old 07-30-2013, 02:23 PM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

I like my HE for the most part. UNTIL I needed to add bleach to a load. It came out before the clothes were wet and mixed and ruined 5 shirts. just t-shirts but still ruined. thought I did something wrong-nope; I was dumb enough to try it AGAIN! So, no bleach adding for me. will stick to cloro2 or peroxide etc.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:14 PM

whirlpool now owns Maytag, and the repair man I talked to said to get the whirlpool. Maytag washer still going and W/P dryer is great
Originally Posted by Misty's Mom View Post
Awe bought our whirlpool gold washer & dryer about 10 years ago from lowes. We've had no problems and they work great. They were beside the maytags and the whirlpools beat them hands down on water usage, efficiency and power usage. Did I mention that I love them
Old 07-30-2013, 05:16 PM

They make a produce to clean the front loaders to prevent the smell. Works....
Old 07-30-2013, 05:27 PM
Power Poster

Whirlpool Duet for over 10 yrs. They run daily up to 7 loads, over ten people in house hold, and no problems. Whatever you do do not get Maytag Neptune. We went through two front loader ones in about 5 yrs. One lasted about a year, the newest one. The computer part is very bad.

Leave the door of the front loader washer stand open. I also think if you use it little it is probably more prone to smell. I have used plain white vinegar in the rinse to cleanse the washer at the same time but very infrequent. Maybe 5 times in the time we owned it.

Last edited by Annaquilts; 07-30-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:31 PM
Power Poster

One of my large family friends has this one and really likes it too.

Originally Posted by RJ View Post
I just recently got rid of my front loader---hated the smell---no matter what I did---and hated that I could not add things after the machine started----We were in Sears a few weeks ago and saw a set-Kenmore Connect--GREAT sale---top loader high effenciency---I LOVE LOVE it----no agitator so I could wash my king size comforter with no problem. It puts the correct amount of water in according to how much you put in----and I can put in a LOT!! I am usually hunting for things to put in to make a decent size load....
Old 07-30-2013, 05:35 PM
Power Poster

Yes this. Something is wrong. My DH found some washing machines on one of the campgrounds we visit and they only had cold water no matter what setting. By the way they were top load with agitator. He and the campground manager looked at it and they both agreed it was hooked up wrong.

Originally Posted by Wintersewer View Post
Some HE Front Loaders will actually heat the water to very hot, so perhaps there is something wrong with yours. How do you know how hot the water is, anyway. The door locks when the washer starts, and all rinses are cold now.
If my HE can get clothes as clean as it does in warm water, all the better!
Old 07-30-2013, 05:37 PM
Power Poster

Yes this is also true. I can no longer clean or felt wool in them or dye.

Originally Posted by sewmom View Post
I have a Whirlpool duet sport. It's HE. The only drawback that I see to the front loader washer is if you dye fabrics or wool felting- you can't do that in them, so I'm told. I have had mine for a number of years now-6- and I really love them. You have to wipe out the inside seal constantly or you get a musty smell from the water sitting in the seal.