Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Amusing/Frustrating Situation at Joann >

Amusing/Frustrating Situation at Joann

Amusing/Frustrating Situation at Joann

Old 10-27-2009, 05:56 PM

After having had a similarly mind boggleling experience, I decided to call Jo-Ann's home office and share my concerns about the rude way I had been dealt with.
I asked for customer service and was told: You don't need that department, I can take care of this"
I was completely blown away by how rude she became with me!
I finally got to speak without being interrupted and told the woman that I now understood why the employees all thought their rude behavior was OKAY!
If you decide to pursue this matter, I truly hope your experience is more comforting than mine was.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:08 PM

Goof for you!!

I can go on and on about my experiences at Joann's. When they advertise a sale on their Keepsake Calico the same fabric may be on sale in one store but not in another. It drives me nuts.

My major pet peeve is the registers. They never ever have enough people on the registers on Saturday afternoon. Usually there are only 2 registers working and there are literally 20 people in line. I want to spend my weekend time quilting - not waiting in line at Joanns. I'm sure they don't pay very well because the employee turnover is huge which explains why you can't find anyone that knows where anything is.

I've complained to the corporate office about the register situation but nothing has changed.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:08 PM

I meant to say "Good for you!"
Old 10-27-2009, 06:35 PM

I have a super JoAnns about 30 min from me. I don't get there often but I really have no complaints about that place.
It's big, bright, clean, bathrooms and the employees really are helpful.
I'll ask where something is and they take me there not just tell me. Even the ladies in the sewing machine place take me to find stuff.
Yes, when I have the 40% off coupon most of what I want to buy is already on sale but I always find something to buy (even a candy bar).
When there is a big sale they have 3 or 4 at the cutting tables. I just grab a number first and then shop. Works for me.
About the only thing I don't like is the kona cottons. They only stock a limited number of boring colors! None of the beautiful bright colors available on line but a lot of the time they are not on sale so I can use my coupon there if I only want black or boring colors.
:D
Old 10-27-2009, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by aileenlenzi
When all is said and done, I really prefer to support my local quiliting shops. Joann's and Hancocks may be great for discounted fabric etc ....
I'm sorry, I have a difficult time thinking that $12/yd is what you would consider "discounted fabric". That's how much the fabric was at my local JA for a quilt I wanted to make for my husband. Nope. Not happenin'.

If I want discount fabrics, I shop online at Fabric.com. Last week was able to get some glorious Hoffman's (and others) for around $4-$5/yd. And it was first quality fabric. You have to know what you're dealing with.

Same for clerks. If they don't know, it's not my job to educate them. I have NO problem asking for someone else (with more appropriate knowledge) to help me. But when the "authority" is just as un-knowledgeable as the underling, it's really sad.

JMO
Old 10-27-2009, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by ERhausfrau
I always use my 40% or 50% coupon for my batting. Just got some day before yesterday. AT JOANN'S!!!! We don't have a Hancock within ten minutes of us, so when JoAnn doesn't have the stuff, I generally will call Hancock and see if they have it in stock - if not, I just wait! There was a woman next to me who, when she gets a 40-50% off coupon, buys a whole bolt of Warm and Natural batting - That is my favorite too! She says "You'll always use it." So, now when I get my next coupon, I will get a bolt of Warm and Natural.

Not to change the subject.... I am getting ready to hand quilt a baby quilt. I have some Variations embroidery thread and was thinking of using that as the thread to quilt with. It has a really nice effect when you embroider. I was wondering if any of you know about how many threads I should use. I am thinking 4? Help! I want to start on this today. I am all pinned down and ready to rumble!!!!!! Edie

I thought the coupon was only good on 1 yard of fabric or...... How can you use the coupon on a whole bolt?

Kristina
Old 10-27-2009, 07:50 PM

I thought the coupon was only good on 1 yard of fabric or...... How can you use the coupon on a whole bolt?

Kristina[/quote]

Usually the coupons read something to the effect that it is cut for one cut of fabric, so you can get as much as you want with the coupon as long as it is one cut.
I try to buy a bolt of the Warm & Natural when batting is 50% off, plus since I am an ASG member I get another 10% off. I make many quilts, many of them for charity projects & I love how the Warm & Natural handles.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:54 PM

So I posed this question to my husband as he was working on his math homework, so it even threw him off guard becaue it wasn't where his head was.

Me: Honey if you saw a package on a store shelf that said Poly-fil and on the signage for the product it says Fairfield Quilters 80/20 Packaged Batting. What are you buying?
Jeff: You don't need my help nor permission to buy anything just get it.
Me: No really what is in the package.
Jeff: Didn't you graduate highschool?...BATTING!

I then proceeded to read him the OT and he said he would have offered to take the manager to Lens Crafters for glasses, or he would have stated that "obviously it didn't take a high school diploma to get this job!"
Old 10-27-2009, 08:24 PM

I would fire a letter off to Joann's headquarters. The VIP's probably don't know that some of their managers have very little "thread on their spool". When I come across a "problem" I get a letter or email off to the main office and tell them how unhappy I am and do they allow their employees to treat paying customers so badly. You'd be amazed how quickly and sometimes with coupons your letter will get a response. Don't let anyone put you down.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:20 AM

I think Connecting Threads online has great fabric and it is usually only $5.99 a yard. I have bought a lot from them and it is always nice with beautiful colors, and their customer service is really good.
It's good to know that not all JoAnn's are bad. I visited one in Idaho and it was great. Maybe ours was just having a bad year.