Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I sewed my finger!!!!! >
  • I sewed my finger!!!!!

• I sewed my finger!!!!!

Old 03-04-2010, 11:12 PM

I did that!!! It hurts. Mine went right through the nail and now it won't grow right. Breaks easy too. Oh well, Now I keep my fingers out of the way, that's what my stylus is for
    Old 03-05-2010, 04:01 AM

The lesson was well learned be,believe you me.

Happy quilting everyone.
    Old 03-05-2010, 04:09 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Glad it wasn't more serious! I've just had a major telling off by my DH for changing the needle with the machine switched on (and the presser foot down so it will sew) - he noticed that I had the tip of the needle resting on my finger end and pointed out what COULD happen if I inadvertently pressed the pedal! From now on, I switch off to change the needle!
    Old 03-05-2010, 05:14 AM

I've never sewn my finger but one time I was making DH and I a nice salad for dinner. Saw the people on food network get the seed out of an avocado, likety split. Tried, failed. tried again, knife slipped off the seed and went right through my hand. I had a few choice words as I yanked that knife right back out. DH took me to the hospital, 3 stitches on the palm of my hand, 3 on the top, ruined salad. Now DH says 'let me take the seed out'.
    Old 03-05-2010, 06:35 AM

Many years ago I had the sewing machine needle go right thru my finger nail. No problems - just had to have a tetanus shot. But just recently my 15 yr old grandson who was taking a sewing class, had a machine needle go thru his finger and it broke off in his finger. It took a trip to the ER, where they couldn't get it out, and then a trip into surgery the next morning to finally cut it out. He was quite a trooper, tho!! He loves to sew. It did put a damper on his sewing, piano playing, etc for a week or more, tho.

judyjo
    Old 03-05-2010, 06:47 AM

Ooooooo, glad you are OK. I got too close to my needle a couple of weeks ago and the screw that holds the needle came down on my pointer knuckle...OWWWWWWW...left a nice bruise but taught me a lesson. Keep fingers away from the needle at all times..
    Old 03-05-2010, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
    I was working on my latest charity quilt today and I sewed my finger. I was very very fortunate. I was doing machine applique using the satin stitch. I had the foot pedal unplugged so it was going pretty fast and it went in and out right beside by finger nail. It didn't stop the machine and it didn't skip a stitch. It just kept right on sewing. No blood on the quilt either. That's what is really important!!

So, want to share your sewing over your finger story?
    I sewed thru the middle of my thumb nail, jerked my hand back and broke the needle off in my thumb. My mother had to take a pair of pliers and pull the needle out. That was over 20 years ago and needless to say I have not repeated the experience.
    Old 03-05-2010, 08:57 AM

Back when I was still working, I would try to get a little sewing done before I went to work. I was in a hurry, using the rotary cutter. I had the edge of my finger to close to the edge of the ruler. I neatly sliced off a little pad of skin on my left pointer finger. I didn't feel it right away, but managed to get my hand away from the fabric in time to prevent bleeding on it!. I sure learned a lesson that day!!

Ditter
    Old 03-05-2010, 09:27 AM

Ahh I just did this a week ago! I had my laptop next to me on the desk and my sister sent me a message on IM. While I was quilting a quilt for charity also, I looked over to read while sewing and BAM the needle went right through my fingernail and through to the other side. It reminded me of one of those headbands for halloween that look like you have a knife through your head. The needle broke off the machine and the thread went through my finger also! I cut off the thread that was attached to the machine and pulled the top piece out, but the bottom piece wouldn't come out. Since I was in my craft room, my DH grabbed my jewelery pliers and we finally got the bottom piece out with a piece of now red thread attached. My oldest son had the phone ready to call 911 and another son (who is terrified of blood) was shaking so badly. All in all, it left a mark under my nail but the pain is very minimal. Glad I am not the only one that has done that!
    Old 03-05-2010, 09:28 AM

time to go puke...weak stomach!