Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappointing Quilting Class >

Disappointing Quilting Class

Disappointing Quilting Class

Old 07-26-2010, 10:28 AM

What a shame..I taught myself to quilt through many many books and TV shows. After I was comfortable with quilting I started doing Internet classes at QuiltUniversity.com.
Then down the road I joined a guild. What an eye opening experience...lots of help and there were newbies too. That was 6 years ago and I am now the guild president!
Classes can be too crowded and I get distracted.
E-mail me for a one on one talk.
XOXOXO Subee
Old 07-26-2010, 11:12 AM

I took a class at my local quilt store for beginning quilting. The class was $40.00 and the book and fabric were extra. We purchased our choice of fabrics from the store at a discount and then went to class once a week for 4 weeks, 3 hours each session. Had a very good teacher. We finished our project in that time period. The only request from the teacher was to know your machine. Good class, and very good teacher.

Suzy
Old 07-26-2010, 12:02 PM

Welcome to the board glad you joined up. As for the class you should ask for your money back and ask them if they know were any real quilt classes are offered,and by the way there are some many great quilters on this board and they do tutorials and you can ask for more help and they are alway willing to help.You will love it here :-D :-D :-D
Old 07-26-2010, 12:25 PM

I would definetly ask for my money back or at least a partial refund if they provided materials. I had a similar experience with a beginning class. It was supposed to be three classes and the teacher couldn't teach the third class. I still have the project unfinished. Thankfully, I didn't have to pay for it.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:27 PM

I feel your pain. This kind of thing happened to me at a LQS years ago. I didn't take classes for 10 years. This year I signed up for classes at my local Hancocks. I have the most wonderful teacher I could possibly have! I have taken several classes and am signed up for more. She has a very loyal following.
So don't give up like I did. There are very good teachers out there. You just need to find them. I missed alot by not looking sooner.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:27 PM

If you want to take classes that you will enjoy go to a small quilt shop they usually have good and friendly classes.. Also join a quilting Guild. I am a fairly new quilter and joined a quild .. They have classes once a month and I really have enjoyed every one of the ones I have taken. Plus in a class with other quilters everyone will jump in and help you . You will also learn lots of "tricks" and shortcuts. And you really will have a good time.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:41 PM

Took my first quilting classes at the local Community College. It was 8 weeks and had the basics from picking fabric, batting and thread. Also taught about backings and bindings. Made a pillow with hand quilting. I learned a lot. The second class was "Quilt in a Day" at the LQS. Very good experience. Learned SITD so I had the best of both worlds, hand and machine quilting.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:47 PM

I was lucky enough to find a really good class, and I remember the instructor mentioning that she wouldn't do teach with Hancock's anymore because they aren't prompt about paying the instructors. I can't help but think it demotivates instructors to do a good job, and that it means the instructors they get aren't necessarily good or qualified.

Also sorry to hear about your experience and yes, ask for the money back if only to make sure they get the feedback.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:06 PM

Such a shame. Some people have no conscious. Ask for a refund and tell them that you have LOTS of friends who are sewers who won't be using Hancock again.Maybe that will get your money back and maybe they won't use that person again.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:13 PM

Many yrs ago I took a quilting class at an Adult Ed. The write up said to bring 6 9"squares, which everyone did. DUH - should have been 9 6"squares. All I learned was to make a pillowtop and decide that quilting was something I could never do. I even bought a quilt at the Kutztown (PA) Fair for $300+, figuring that would be the only way I'd have one. Yrs later, the "bug" hit again and I took a lap quilt class. Learned a lot, but was required to do everything by hand...no machine piecing. Did a "snow-bird" in FL that winter, and about 1/2 mile from our campground was a quilt shop. Beginner classes were free as long as you bought all your materials from her. Made a different block each week, as long as you brought your finished block in for show n tell. I learned so much, joined a guild back home and have been quilting ever since. One of my favorite places to take a class is QuiltUniversity.com. I'm taking one right now on reversible quilts. Excellent instructors - many very well known in quilting circles. Give them a try. For classes, I'd suggest LQS, a guild, QU, and some fellow quilters. Enjoy the wonderful hobby!