Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When is a stash TOO BIG?? >

When is a stash TOO BIG??

When is a stash TOO BIG??

Old 03-01-2011, 04:43 AM

Some people just need to shop. I think a stash is out of hand if you keep buying fabric, but not using any. If you can't get to the sewing machine to sew because of all the clutter, it is out of hand. Our rooms get messy but we try to clean them up between projects. As we get older and we are losing our friends to death, it makes us feel the need to have "stuff" close by. The fabric becomes our "friend". The same as animal hoarders, the animals become their "friends". That is what is so great about this board, we have friends here, so hopefully we don't lose touch with reality. I look back at my mother and how she had isolated herself from everyone. She wasn't a hoarder, except that she WOULDN'T spend her money. She was afraid she would live to 108 and run out of money and have to live with her children.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:03 AM

For myself, I have a limited amt of space & when the fabric shelves are full, I stop buying till some is used. Works for me.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:06 AM

I think a stash can be too big if you can't manage it. To me, a fabric stash is one that is relatively organized, and I can see it or know where it is. So in my opinion, fabric in boxes stored in another room is not a stash unless the box is labeled & you know the exact contents. Not everyone has a huge space or dedicated storage to stash.

But to me, when it gets to the point where, out of sight is out of mind, you buy more of the same because you can't be bothered to look for it (emergencies notwithstanding) and the joy of having the fabric is gone after it's purchased and stuffed into a box never to be seen or heard from again... well, to me that is hoarding.

For myself, I'm probably on the extreme end of organized; every piece of fabric over 1/2 yard has an inventory tag, the price I paid when I bought it, the date of purchase, and the yardage. Periodically I will go through and donate or sell the fabrics that no longer inspire me so I can keep my stash "fresh".

I've also been the other way, where I had so much that I couldn't find what I wanted and it was so incredibly frustrating and crushed my creativity to not be able to put my hands on something that I knew I had.

Most people I would say know their own limits... and your stash is too big when you think it's too big; when the joy of seeing the stash you already own is a distant second to the new fabrics you want to buy.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:31 AM

It's one thing to have a lot of fabric - another to use it regularly. My stash might not be the best organized or displayed perfectly, but I have a working knowledge of where everything is when I need it. Right now it is time to step back and re-assess things. I got a few bargains - from "links and resources" on this site - and need to figure where they fit into the scheme of things.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:37 AM

If she was 25 I would say we need to help her. Being as she is 84 I think it is wonderful that you are helping her get it in order, and she is having a good time buying it.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:45 AM

Fellow Minnesotan! GMTA I too have a stash of mostly kits. When I need to buy, I usually am buying backings--usually at places like Mill End, where I don't have to pay top dollar. I do have to admit though that many of my quiting buddies consider me the "Queen of Kits" because of my stash. I'm probably a bit of a hoarder, but since I restrict my stash to my studio it's managable at this point. I dread the day when I'm in my 80's when others view my sweet hobby as a serious problem. My solution?---Sew as fast and furiously as I can at the moment!

Originally Posted by pvquilter
I have a small stash of fabric. I have more kits. I like buying kits. I do use my stash for backings etc. I seldom buy fabric because I like it. I need to have a plan. If I like a quilt I see in a shop then I purchase all the fabrics for it. I think my stash is pretty controlled. I only buy backings for planned projects or when I need them and try and hit the 30% off sales at my LQS.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:50 AM

NEVER. LOL and I have a wall hanging to prove it.!!!!
Old 03-01-2011, 06:13 AM

I have a BIG stash of garment fabric(the long wall of my garage all shelved, and my sewing room closet), and under my daybed is my quilting stash. I would have thought it excessive, but I am disabled and have recently become single. Now I am on a VERY tight budget and am SO thankful for that stash! I can't imagine not being able to sew, and buying fabric is not in the budget these days. I'm in my 50's, so there's still time to use it up!
I have a LQS that has had all her fabric $5.00 a yard this month- she said all the new stuff coming in is going up .50.
She won't charge the extra on the fabric she didn't pay extra for, so I guess the manufacturers have raised their prices. She needs room for the new stuff, and is one of the few shops that has sales that I know of. I just go with my friends and drool now LOL!
Old 03-01-2011, 06:15 AM

I have a very small stash and wish I had more especially backing and filling but I do have enough that I can sit down and do something whenever I want to.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:35 AM

I always want more.It's nice for when your having a bad day or whatever,go in and touch,refold move around.If i want more I'll go buy it.Connie in CO