Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How many members live on the farm or ranch? >

How many members live on the farm or ranch?

How many members live on the farm or ranch?

Old 03-26-2011, 05:40 AM
Power Poster

when I was growing up I spent a lot of time on my grandparents farms. Both sides had a farm. I loved it and miss it. My in laws also had an 80 acre farm and my kids grew up there also. They spent every summer there and we were there on weekends alot. Now the farm is gone and my grands have never had that experience. I so miss it.

I grew up around cows they don't scare me. I spent a lot of tiem petting them and talking to cows. Silly I know. My cousin and I played in the corn (shelled corn)bin like it was sand and we played in the chicken house which was bigger than most people's living room. The floor was half sand and half straw. We made roads for the dumptrucks and end loaders etc that we had. They were metal back then. Probably Tonka if I remember right. Jim and I spent many many hours in the timber. There was a small crick we would wade in barefoot.

So many good memories of my childhood.

So I wondered after seeing some conversations on here about cows etc how many of our members live on a farm or have lived on a farm. Would love to hear your memories or your day to day now.

One of my strongest memories is of my grandpa who had to listen to the farm report every noon on the radio. Also of taking meals to the guys in the field when they were spending long hours into the night to get the corn or soybeans in on time before the rains got them.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:17 AM

We only had 10 acres but we had cows, pigs, chickens, and a 3 acres garden. It felt like a small farm to us. Growing up in a farming community, I do miss it, but not the wonderful smells that came with it.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:24 AM

I miss the young lambs that played on new green grass of my childhood...on my grandparents home..small crop farmers. We always had cats, dogs, ponies, hogs, cows, sheep, chickens and once a goat. Planted gardens every summer. That is why we retired back on 2.9 A. so we could grow a garden and have small livestock.

Love our daily fresh eggs and garden produce.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

Rhonda, not silly at all (talking to cows) I think it's precious!
I grew up in a city so I talked to the sidewalks and grass! lol :D:D

PS. My Mom always tells me I SHOULD have grown up on a farm b/c I love canning, hanging clothes out, etc :thumbup:
Old 03-26-2011, 07:40 AM

My grandparents had cows,chickens and a big garden. My sister and I used to try and ride the milk cow. We've only got a little over an acre here but I have chickens, had rabbits, and have a garden. I would so love to ahve goats but dh is not in agreement with it. I may just surprise him with two one day though :-). The kids would love to ahve cows and horses and pigs. If we had all that I would have a mule!
Oh and the last cow my Grannie had was a pet. She knew her name and as soon as my Grannie came home that cow came running to the fence to be petted and talked to. She would follow Grannie all over that pasture!
Old 03-26-2011, 07:52 AM

When I was very small I lived in AZ and we had different animals. Horses, chickens etc. Not a farm but close I guess.
Then I lived small town Pine Beach Nj, then suburbia Peachtree City GA, and then semi rural/small town Fairburn in GA urban farm across the street. now suburbia again VA Beach VA. I have figured out I like semi rural/rural. I don't do suburbia well at all. I want my cottage in the woods somewhere with my dogs maybe a few chickens(eggs) and goats (lawn mower). And a garden. :-)
Old 03-26-2011, 08:06 AM

5 acres, a herd of 14 hens, 2 roosters
Outdoor cats! and a couple dogs.
big garden, lots of chicken manure. Apples, asparagus,raspberries, grapes and blueberries.

Our chickens
[ATTACH=CONFIG]175183[/ATTACH]

Spike the loop ear bunny bunked with the chickens. Was killed by a red tail hawk last summer. :(
[ATTACH=CONFIG]175185[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-175177.jpe   attachment-175179.jpe  
Old 03-26-2011, 08:45 AM
Power Poster

We lived in the country years ago. not necessarily a farm but we had lots of animals. At one time we had 80 rabbits 14 dogs 6 birds (cockatiels and parakeets) 8 cats and a salamander the kids found in the timber. My MIL and FIL raised rabbits and had about 20 adults. My FIL found MIL laying on the ground in the garage where the rabbit runs were, She had had another stroke. So he loaded up the rabbit runs and rabbits and showed up at our house with them all! When they had babies at one point we had a total of 80 rabbits. We had 4 dogs and my son's shephard had 10 pups. The cat in the house had kittens at the same time! We were animal poor! LOL
Old 03-26-2011, 09:01 AM

I grew up a city girl but always knew I should have been a country girl. Was in 4-H - did sewing, clothing, home interiors, cooking etc, but was jealous of my 4-H friends from the country clubs with their animals. Loved when my parents took us to visit family or friends who lived in the country. Remember the fun of playing in barns, getting itchy playing in haystacks, helping with cows, pigs, baby turkeys.

Fast forward just a few years (lol) and while I still live in town, I work on a farm, doing the bookkeeping for a really neat 4th generation family run farm where they grow almonds, oranges, wheat, rice. I also help out at my friend's Thoroughbred horse farm, which happens to be 1/2 mile from where I work & is where I keep my own horse (avatar pic). I love nothing more than helping with feeding, doctoring, foaling & anything else I can get my hands on. I have never been too prissy to get my hands dirty, sometimes surprising my employer & my friend.

I think this season of my life is the one I was meant to live all along. I am finally home.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:21 AM

would have loved to :(