Stocking Up

Old 04-01-2011, 12:54 PM

An unusual source for coupons to help save money is Ebay. Quite by accident, I came across coffee coupons on Ebay. I laughed at first, but then thought about it further. If you truly wanted to stock up, and had $1.00 off coupons, went to a store that doubled coupons, and the coffee was on sale already, you could really save some money.
So I decided this could be my back-up job, I would have my 5 year old grandson ride his bike around the neighborhood every Sunday morning and steal all the neighbors coupons out of their papers. He is really, really fast on his bike. And I would sell them on Ebay. And I would fix my grandson anything he wanted for breakfast on Sunday. My daughter said no. In fact, she said a lot more, geesh, she's kind of narrow minded :):)
Old 04-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Swap Hosts

I've used a lot of the tips on www.weusecoupons.com. You can also print out coupons, too. You need to be very organized. I've brought home $874 worth of groceries for $146. People were clapping at the check out line!
Old 04-01-2011, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Krystyna
Originally Posted by moonwork42029
I usually have enough on hand for a couple weeks and a little longer on canned items. This was very useful when we had the ice storm in 2009 and didn't have power for 13 - 20 days (had a generator for nighttime allowances).

they (family) don't laugh quite so much any more since we had everything pretty much.
Wow! That's a long time to go without power! I sure hope you own a treadle machine! But your point is a good one - regardless of why you stock up, if you're in a situation like that, I'm sure you're happy to have what you need on hand.

I went through our deep freeze and pulled out roasts and canned beef stew. Pulled out chickens and chicken breast and canned that too. Now if I'm in a rush, I can open a jar of chicken, toss it with veggies and pasta and there's dinner! The beef stew just needs some thickener and seasoning and voila - instant dinner.

A couple of years ago my husband saw a neighbor throw out brand new kerosene heaters - complete with instruction manuals. He brought them home and we used them when the power went out for a couple of days. I was initially skeptical because I thought they'd stink, but they didn't and I was warm. We have oil heat and I've used one during the day rather than heat the whole house with oil. We saved so much $$$ on oil that the oil delivery company called me to see if there was something wrong.
And heating oil is one of the most expensive ways to heat a home.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Joan Wales-Dickson
One of my main concerns is the expiration dates on stored foods. And cans can still become contaminated and/or lose their seals. Something to take in consideration when stocking up. Always something!!!
We rotate the canned goods so they don't get to old. They do last a lot longer than the date on the can but it's still good to rotate.

Sorry about the double post. :oops:

Originally Posted by Joan Wales-Dickson
One of my main concerns is the expiration dates on stored foods. And cans can still become contaminated and/or lose their seals. Something to take in consideration when stocking up. Always something!!!
We rotate the canned goods so they don't get to old. They do last a lot longer than the date on the can but it's still good to rotate.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by Deb G
And heating oil is one of the most expensive ways to heat a home.
Yup. We had a couple of severe windstorms come through and there were lots of trees down - I stocked up on firewood. We have a fireplace, but it's not really efficient, so I don't use it much, but good to have. In a pinch I can use dutch ovens in the fireplace to cook with. And you'd be amazed at what a solar oven can do. Needless to say, you learn to be a little colder - and nice quilts sure do help!
Old 04-01-2011, 03:05 PM

Lots of good ideas here! I've found that bay leaves also help repel pantry moths and weavils.

Another thing to keep in mind: pantry moths. The larvae can chew right through the packaging. After a horrible infestation a few years ago I started double freezing everything that's not in a can. Freeze two weeks, take it out for two weeks, refreeze. Stuff in bulk goes into 5 gallon tubs that I get from a bakery. I pop in oxygen absorbers and then seal. No more waste.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:05 PM

Sorry for double post. The site is slow to post today...

Another thing to keep in mind: pantry moths. The larvae can chew right through the packaging. After a horrible infestation a few years ago I started double freezing everything that's not in a can. Freeze two weeks, take it out for two weeks, refreeze. Stuff in bulk goes into 5 gallon tubs that I get from a bakery. I pop in oxygen absorbers and then seal. No more waste.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:07 PM

Well, when the bottom falls out, which it will, and probably sooner rather than later, those who have goods will be way ahead of those who have money, because the money won't be worth the paper it's printed on. But you could always use it for toilet paper. Remember the stories of people in Germany in the 1930's carting wheelbarrows full of Deutsche Marks to the store, in hopes of finding one banana... supposing there WAS a banana. Congress is doing the same risky financial things now the Reichstag did back then. This might be a good time to reread the story "The Ant and the Grasshopper".