Stocking Up

Old 04-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Swap Hosts

Don't rely on bay leaves. They work on rice, but that's it. Fresh rosemary sprigs work better.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie
my main scare is dec 21, 2012.. it looks like it's coming any day now.
i've stocked up on water, and my dh thinks i'm C R A Z Y.
i know i'm not, i'm with you.
It may make you feel better to know that the whole thing about the Mayan calendar coming to an end is a bunch of hooey. The calendar was set up with two intermeshing wheels, one a lunar calendar, one a solar calendar. So there were enough meshing grooves for the number of days in the solar months times the number of days in the lunar months. At the time the last day comes around, yes, the "time" on the calendar runs out, but that doesn't mean TIME runs out... it means that their calendar, in spite of being more accurate than ours, is not eternal. It simply starts over. So all the witches and warlocks can go back to sleep and leave the rest of us alone, instead of trying to make us crazy with worry and panic.

When I was a little girl, I spent a lot of time in the sumners with my DGM. I used to read her books while she napped, and one of them was a thick book by a prominent minister, published in 1923, about the eminent end of the world. I can only imagine what kind of panic that book caused when it was published, but at the time I read it, it was in the '50's, and the world still hadn't come to an end then, 27 years later. Check out Leviticus 19:26 & 19:31 and 1 John 4:1 for a Biblical take on the matter.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:49 PM
Swap Hosts

Alondra, I'm with you on that. We never know when our personal last day will be. Hit by a bus, a little blood clot lodged in the brain, whatever. It doesn't have to be the Mayan calendar or anything else major. I believe that God has alotted us each a certain number of breaths to take on this earth - just enough to get us to the point where we can hopefully meet him. In the meanwhile, it's good to be prepared to take care of ourselves and our neighbors in need.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:04 PM

This is maybe getting alittle off track but growing up I remember learning about bomb shelters and how to build and stock them. We lived in SD in what some would call the boonies. There weren't any bombs being built within several hundred miles of where we lived and where it would've been the most likely bombs would have been dropped. But being on a farm we
Now, with the reactors in Japan leaking radiation and it showing up in the US it becomes alittle scary. Especially since we live approx 45 min. from a nuc plant. Never even thought to worry about it before but a lot of people are becoming aware that it could happen here and beginning to think about what they would need in an emergency such as that.
As for food anything canned, whether in glass or metal, is the safest way to keep food safe.
There are numerous things that can be done to ready ourselves for something catastrophic but we don't need to panic, just gain the knowledge needed to become prepared.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Krystyna
Originally Posted by moonwork42029
I usually have enough on hand for a couple weeks and a little longer on canned items. This was very useful when we had the ice storm in 2009 and didn't have power for 13 - 20 days (had a generator for nighttime allowances).

they (family) don't laugh quite so much any more since we had everything pretty much.
Wow! That's a long time to go without power! I sure hope you own a treadle machine! But your point is a good one - regardless of why you stock up, if you're in a situation like that, I'm sure you're happy to have what you need on hand.

I went through our deep freeze and pulled out roasts and canned beef stew. Pulled out chickens and chicken breast and canned that too. Now if I'm in a rush, I can open a jar of chicken, toss it with veggies and pasta and there's dinner! The beef stew just needs some thickener and seasoning and voila - instant dinner.

A couple of years ago my husband saw a neighbor throw out brand new kerosene heaters - complete with instruction manuals. He brought them home and we used them when the power went out for a couple of days. I was initially skeptical because I thought they'd stink, but they didn't and I was warm. We have oil heat and I've used one during the day rather than heat the whole house with oil. We saved so much $$$ on oil that the oil delivery company called me to see if there was something wrong.
If you don't mind me asking, how do you can chicken???
Old 04-01-2011, 08:09 PM

It is fine to stock up anything you can, within reason. However, it is surprising how much good food is thrown away every day in North America. In our household we are careful not to waste. For example, we make our own chicken stock from cracked chicken bones; not only is it free (cooked on the wood stove) but it is also better for us than canned or "cubes". Small bits of left-over veggies are frozen in one cup containers until the day I make "clean out the freezer soup". Also, for environmental reasons, we have not used plastic wrap for over ten years. We use reusable containers instead. And no paper towels - clean-up rags or some other substitute. Just a few examples of easy ways to save money. Time to think like our grandmothers did.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Krystyna
I've used a lot of the tips on www.weusecoupons.com. You can also print out coupons, too. You need to be very organized. I've brought home $874 worth of groceries for $146. People were clapping at the check out line!
tried this site, didn't work.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:48 AM

There are several sites regarding canning. Here is just one:

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_home.html

My mother tells me my grandmother use to can sausage. Also, more things you purchase from the grocery store are being sold in canning jars. Several pasta sauces and even Great Value Salsa are sold in canning jars. If you use these products, it is a great way to recycle to save canning jars. I purchase products mostly in glass jars and recycle. I try not to purchase items in plastic, but those jars/bottles go to the recycling center.

Canned properly, canned goods can have a much longer shelf live. The important thing is to have a rotation system.

I remember when I was 15 (back in the 60's) there were several predictions of the end of the world, but that was the middle of the cold war and the circucmstances were different. Even though people were afraid, they did very little to prepare.

Even my mother (84) is noticing the changes in the earth. More earthquakes, volcanos, weather pattern changes.

We have been mostly talking about food, don't forget about water, that is much more important than food.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:11 AM
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by irenecarter
tried this site, didn't work.
Just try typing in the address. For some reason the link here isn't working. I just tried and it worked.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:18 AM
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by craftymatt2
If you don't mind me asking, how do you can chicken???
First of all, you MUST use a pressure canner. Essentially, you put the cut up chicken into quart or pint jars, cover with boiling water, sprinkle a little kosher salt if you wish, seal the sterilized jars and pressure can at 70 minutes for a pint, 90 for a quart. There is a yahoo group that I belong to that has zillions of files for preserving food. It's preserving-food. If you join, do daily digest or there can be toooo many messages.