Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help from my Southern and Southwestern Quilting Sisters >

Need help from my Southern and Southwestern Quilting Sisters

Need help from my Southern and Southwestern Quilting Sisters

Old 05-02-2011, 09:06 AM

There is a film you can buy to put on your windows that helps block out the heat from the sun. You can still see outside. I bought some from Hancocks the last time I needed it. I'm sorry I don't remember the name of the film, but I think 3M makes it. We replaced all of our windows with argon gas filled, low-e glass and that means I don't b=need to use the film anymore.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:36 AM

Thanks. You are right my house faces DUE west not south!

Im so glad I am not alone. I put thermal shade on the window already plus window treatments. There are pine trees planted along that side which are almost as tall as the room. The rest of the house is shaded but the trees in this section either died or grew slower.

I have NO problems in the whole rest of the house but the only other bedroom big enough is the master and hubby is not going along with me on that one!

This is a second floor room in a peak with no attic above it. Im sure that insulating the house would do the trick but I have been either off or working part time for 4 months so I hesitate to drop alot of money into insulation right now.

I have a ceiling fan PLUS another fan and I switch the spin direction.

I found a window unit for casement windows, made by LG, but my hubby says I would have to pay a pro to mount it since it is up so high. Anyway, t is on back order at Home Depot. So that is about a 600 buck solution.

I am going to try the portable air conditioner solution first. I cannot vent it outside without taking the window apart or making some kind of covering out of plywood.

Cutting a hole in the side of my house is not an option.

I have those reflective window linings in my office which has the same problem. That would be easy and I think I can put some insulation on the garage side of the wall. That wall is a firewall and must be eight inches to a foot thick but it is still warm to the touch.

I need just a temporary fix because we plan on replacing the AC in the whole house in another year or two and I am going to zone it then.

I will tell me how it goes since I am going to pick up the portable air conditioner this week. I am going to just vent it to the hall way.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:00 PM

I don't know if you have looked at units that are easily to install in wall. We have one and it is called a High Wall split system. We have bought 6 in our family. ( our kids homes) We live in the country and didn't want the expence of central air. These units can be seen at WWW.genieairconditiong.com We have had a GE for over 10 years now and we have several Soleus Brand. The loud part of the unit sits outside(so it is quiet) and looks like a suitcase ( a little bigger than, but not much). Our last one was 600 dollars and our 1st one 1000 dollars. They are getting to be well known now in the US. I saw them for the first time In Paris in our hotel room. Check it out. doesn't cost a thing to look. It is easy to install. It doesn't cost much to run. I use mine and cool in a 4 bedroom house and my electric only went up about 10 dollars a month in the hottest part of the summer. Good Luck :-)
Old 05-02-2011, 12:27 PM

I'm from the deep south, 90 miles from the Gulf of Mexico in Mississippi. I know about hot summers.
If it isn't cost prohibitive I'd change out a window and install a nice big window unit. Set her on "freeze your tail off" and enjoy quilting!
Old 05-02-2011, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rosanna1951
I don't know if you have looked at units that are easily to install in wall. We have one and it is called a High Wall split system. We have bought 6 in our family. ( our kids homes) We live in the country and didn't want the expence of central air. These units can be seen at WWW.genieairconditiong.com We have had a GE for over 10 years now and we have several Soleus Brand. The loud part of the unit sits outside(so it is quiet) and looks like a suitcase ( a little bigger than, but not much). Our last one was 600 dollars and our 1st one 1000 dollars. They are getting to be well known now in the US. I saw them for the first time In Paris in our hotel room. Check it out. doesn't cost a thing to look. It is easy to install. It doesn't cost much to run. I use mine and cool in a 4 bedroom house and my electric only went up about 10 dollars a month in the hottest part of the summer. Good Luck :-)
I didn't see this post. This is a great idea! I've seen these advertised.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:08 PM

Wow first time I have seen those. Great idea for zoning my house. I have had three different companies out to discuss this problem and not one of them even mentioned that.

I only need to AC my sewing room on the top floor. The bathroom and other two rooms are only used once or twice a year for holiday company.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:29 PM

Carbon monoxide poisoning would only be possible if you were using an unvented gasoline powered fan or AC....and the odds of that are probably pretty low. <wink>
Old 05-02-2011, 01:37 PM

I live at 7000 ft in Flagstaff Arizona and found I had to deal with issue even if it doesn't get as hot as Phoenix. Our solution was to put a shade canopy over our southern exposure windows which includes my sewing room. I use a small portable AC unit now for about 2-3 weeks out of the summer. The canopies literally cut our cooling bills by 40% now. We use a open mesh weave from a landscape company, made our own heavey duty metal frames (get winds gust up to 80mph up here at times) and have used them now for 7 years.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:43 PM

i would put an small bathroom size fan into the ceiling, [save the sheet rock hole to replace later]. to pull the hot up and out of the room. close down stairs vents and force the air up stairs. you can do the same just crack the up stairs window and let the air flow out. a fan at the top of the stairs the pull cooler air up. and a design wall.
phyllis nm
Old 05-02-2011, 01:52 PM

Get some of that window covering (like aluminum) to cover the windows. That will help keep the heat out. I had to do that with a west facing window and my summers reach 120.

Now with the ceiling fan and the air on, it makes it comfortable to sew in the day time