Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
True cost of making a quilt, part 2 >

True cost of making a quilt, part 2

True cost of making a quilt, part 2

Old 05-29-2011, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by mcdaniel023
I have three employees retiring in two weeks. I made each of them a throw. When another employee asked if I was giving a monetary gift, I said no, I was making a quilt.
You would have though I had three heads. I figured out the cost:
9 fat quarters - $18.00
Backing - $15.00
Borders - $5.00
Batting - $11.00
Thread - $2.50
Total - $51.50

Per quilt plus time. So, I think that is generous gift.
It is very generous!
Old 05-29-2011, 10:24 AM

I try to use mostly stash. Some of my yardage is several years old, and I don't have a clue what I paid for it. Most of it was sale priced. I have batts that I have purchased on sale or with coupons over the past 2 or 3 years. My old brain can't remember what I paid for that either. As to time spent? I don't think I can start keeping track of that. A lot of my quilting is hand work. A min. or 2 here another there etc. Keeping track would be so worry some to me!!
Old 05-29-2011, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Joan
I don't even think about the cost of this addictive hobby.

It brings me so much pleasure, I don't even consider the cost.
(but, please understand, that I'm retired, kids are grown...etc. :mrgreen: )
I totally agree, I do this just for me.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:22 PM

I'm with Charisma!

Hugs
Old 05-29-2011, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by justflyingin
Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
most of the time i dye and print my own fabric.

it costs me about $2.25 to make a yard of fabric.
How do you make fabric?

and for $2.25/yard? Do you weave your own and then dye it? Using wool or cotton? I've never met anyone who actually made their own. I've used a loom before but made a scarf--in college for a textiles class.

Or do you buy unbleached muslin (for how much) and dye it? Or do you have a source of undyed fabric?

I hope you have time to answer because this is a fascinating topic to me. I do enjoy all things textile!
i do weave fabric but that is for clothing items i make and sell not for my quilts.

for quilts i use prepared for dye kona cotton and roc-lon bleached muslin. i do not like natural muslin since the existing color of the muslin has an influence on the final color of the dyeing process.

you can buy these items by the bolt at joann's for around $2.40 a yard if you use a coupon. i buy them wholesale since i buy so much.

i have 44 width, 60 width, and 120 width.

from there i dye, shibori, hand paint, screen print, or marble the fabrics depending on the look i want.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by charismah
I think I want to go into denial. I don't want to keep track. :shock:
Stash? Did that fabric cost money? I forget! I do have some fabric that I'm more attached to than other. I'm not letting go of it!
Old 05-29-2011, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by justflyingin
most of the time i dye and print my own fabric.

it costs me about $2.25 to make a yard of fabric.
How do you make fabric?

and for $2.25/yard? Do you weave your own and then dye it? Using wool or cotton? I've never met anyone who actually made their own. I've used a loom before but made a scarf--in college for a textiles class.

Or do you buy unbleached muslin (for how much) and dye it? Or do you have a source of undyed fabric?

I hope you have time to answer because this is a fascinating topic to me. I do enjoy all things textile!
i do weave fabric but that is for clothing items i make and sell not for my quilts.

for quilts i use prepared for dye kona cotton and roc-lon bleached muslin. i do not like natural muslin since the existing color of the muslin has an influence on the final color of the dyeing process.

you can buy these items by the bolt at joann's for around $2.40 a yard if you use a coupon. i buy them wholesale since i buy so much.

from there i dye, shibori, hand paint, screen print, or marble the fabrics depending on the look i want.
F Fabrics, I would love to see your work????? This is interesting that you do all of that.....you can always get the colour you need.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Old 05-29-2011, 05:15 PM

I hope you have time to answer because this is a fascinating topic to me. I do enjoy all things textile![/quote]

from there i dye, shibori, hand paint, screen print, or marble the fabrics depending on the look i want.[/quote

Please show us some of your work. I am impressed!
Old 05-29-2011, 05:20 PM
Power Poster

My finished quilts are given as gifts so it doesn't matter to me how much money is involved and I sure as anything can't keep track of time. After all, I watch my DVR programs at the same time, so it is impossible to time my progress. I try to get batting and thread on sale to manage the damage somewhat. The actual cost - priceless.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:34 PM

I probably spend about $100 to $130 on fabric and then another $15 on batting and thread.
Most of my quilts aren't much larger than 60" x 72". I buy batting by the
yard, on sale only. I try to buy fabric on sale also but, sometimes.......ya just gotta have it!